Hello Fellow Aviators

proheli

Apr 17, 2004

Just wanted to say hello to all that utilize this interesting site, and introduce myself.
I've been checking this site out for a couple of days and have found it very interesting and informative.
I am a dual rated commercial/instructor pilot who makes his living in the rotary world at the moment. Like you I love aviation, and have experienced flying both fixed and rotary aircraft.
Without trying to insult anyone, I would have to say flying helicopters has been the most rewarding to me next to teaching other people to fly them!
I look forward to logging on, reading others advice and opinions, and networking with you. It's great to see a group of people actually using a site like this in a professional, courteous, manner to communicate about something great like aviation---Keep the Shiny Side UP!!

Welcome aboard - fasten your lap strap and hang on. :lol:
There are some great characters on this sight and fun for all.
If it gets too much :wacko: check out www.finescale.com - it is a sight for model builders and they are amazingly polite and helpful to each other. A refreshing change once in a while.
Cheers
Sharkbait
PS A friend of mine has a website at www.proheli.com check it out

Sharkbait, what kind of modeling are you into, Radio Controlled or plastic scale models?? :D

I specialize in badly built 1/48 scale plastic planes with the odd ship and 1/76 scale bomber. I then proceed to apply paint with lots of runs and finger prints.
I have a 1/76 scale airfix "dambuster" Lancaster here at work with me and haven't even opened the box yet in 3 tours.
The results ( photos) that people post on the finescale website are amazing. The detail they put into the models is much more than I would even attempt.
I is a great sight to go to for a little relaxation and some of the links that people post are great. I have been able to give a little advice on the helicopters section.
What are you into???

I've been in to plastic modeling since I was a kid but haven't done much in the last 10 years, you know, never home, wife & kids etc...
It's too bad kids these days are into friggin video games instead of productive hobbies.
It truly is a lost art. I should just say f-ck it and make time and start again!!!!
I used to have a few 1/16 Apache's, a couple of 1/24 Bell 204's and a very rare, very detailed Japanese instructioned 1/16 Hughes 500C with incredible engine detailing but alas, the years have not been kind to them and most of them ended up in the trash. Truly heartbreaking!!!!! :( :(

Yeah Yah gotta make time for it.
I actually built a few on night shift on the Air Ambulance. Hellcat Typhoon ect
I gotta a pile I wanna build C-180 Beaver and Otter on Floats just to name a few.
Next winter on time off is my target to get serious about getting them built.
I have a 1/48 Voodoo I want to do in bare metal. PBY Cat ect ect.
Finescale is an inspiration but also a detriment because the stuff the guys post is so good. ( excuses- excuses )
You mentioned kids - what gets me is you go to the cottage with boats bikes and a world to explore and you have to drill and blast to get them out the door.
Swimming, biking, boating and waterskiing - they got a videogame of that with guns and explosions much more fun.
Go for a hike - "no way!" - climb a hill - "are you insane?" :angry:
Oh well our parents probably said the same about us.
" When I was a child................................ and at 45 below.......no boots.....used to wrap our feet in old newspaper.................ect. ect...." :rolleyes:
Cheers

Good morning fellow aeronuts...if it ain't got wings it ain't...I've been in aviation for over 50 years and model aircraft still gets my interest. I specialize in 1/48 scale..weak eyes and arthritic hands but I also do 1/32 air show models.

Have a look at my website http://www.barneysairforce.com and I'm always available to answer any building related questions.

Barney

Excellent site O.D.F.!! It's hard to tell if those are plastic or the real thing!!!

Do you know of a good source for getting large scale helicopters?? Like 1/24 or bigger. I've gone to many hobby shops but most of them only offer what's in the current catalogues which doesn't seem to fit what I'm looking for.
I've come across many different types of helis but I have yet to find an Astar.

Revell used to make a Bell 206 in Canadian military paint scheme at 1/24. I aslo bought a couple of Bell 204's in the late 80's in 1/24 from Revell also. They were part of that "Tour of Duty" TV series. I also found a 1/16 Apache from Revell which is a big sucker and also part of the "Tour of Duty" series. Then there was the Japanese 1/16 Hughes 500 C that I thought was incredible.
Those were the biggest helis I ever came across and this was also in the late 80's mind you. I think the selection has only shrunk since then.
Maybe Ebay would have something interesting.

Back