Your Opinion.

That's a great question to ask and I'm happy to answer it for you. What has drawn me towards the A&P field is a deep interest in flight and aircraft ....

So why not learn to fly and go for it? For myself, I'm far too lazy to even imagine doing actually honest work by way of aircraft maintenance but I fully respect those who sometimes even "magically" make planes safe for flight. I've never had the slightest reason to NOT trust any dedicated mech's work on any aircraft I've ever flown, and that marks a level of earned trust I do not give out easily...but the view from the front window is nice. I'd think it all depends on what makes you want to get up in morning and go to work and there's proper room for all of us in aviation. Best wishes for a fine future in whatever you choose.

Last edited:
.... My next door neighbor whom I mentioned is a pilot for AA is now working with new incoming pilots in the simulator. He rants and raves about how terrific they are and I tend to agree with him....
Ask him just how many, if even ANY dire emergencies he's ever personally experienced in actual flight himself if you want a likely
good laugh. While there are indeed some fine and fully capable people involved, no one ever gains ANY real-world experience via a life spent largely inside simulators/Fantasyland and simply spewing the latest version of corporate Koolaide....Just saying. "Incoming pilots" are probationary hostages, so naturally they're both wide-eyed and fully "impressed" by the process.

Last edited:
EastUS1 if you are going to suggest something like that you need to cover some of the challenges that come with it.

For instance the extreme cost of training. Which is even more expensive now thanks to the BS 1500 hour regulation.

You might also discuss the sometimes extremely low pay of entry level jobs (relative to the cost of obtaining a license) and expected progression of pay.

http://fortune.com/2014/03/03/why-airlines-are-running-out-of-pilots/

According to data for 14 regional airlines, the average new pilot's hourly wage is about $24 per hour, the report says. But the Air Line Pilots Association estimates that the average starting salary is even lower than that -- $22,500 per year, which for a 40-hour work week equals an hourly rate of $10.75.

https://pilotjobs.atpflightschool.com/2015/01/23/how-much-money-can-airline-pilots-really-earn/

Pay varies widely by company and experience level and can range anywhere from$28,000 per year to several hundred thousand per year. The Bureau of Labor Statistics reports a median pay for airline pilots of $114,200, but does not show the range of salaries.

http://mashable.com/2016/04/20/regional-pilot-shortage/#0hsXFDkKMGqy

If you come out with a $100,000 investment into your education, that’s when I have to stop and look and say, I’m going to be earning $20,000 for the first few years.

EastUS1 if you are going to suggest something like that you need to cover some of the challenges that come with it.

For instance the extreme cost of training. Which is even more expensive now thanks to the BS 1500 hour regulation.

You might also discuss the sometimes extremely low pay of entry level jobs (relative to the cost of obtaining a license) and expected progression of pay.

I've No/zip/Zero arguments to offer against your sane notions there. My only position is this "magical mystery tour" that is life is a sadly brief but amazing experience, and no one should ever fail to pursue their proper passion, no matter the challenges attendant. I've always found that sometimes accomplishing the "impossible" as "they all" said was among the most rewarding and truly fun things to do in life. I guess I just like to cheer lead for such notions. What's best for any individual person is purely theirs to determine, as it should be. For flying there are (at least financially) "free" ways of achieving that through military service. Having said that: None of us can ever even wistfully know if some/any "road not taken" in life might've just put us in a crosswalk to be run over by some bus that missed the red light. ;) I think the best possible judgement on any career selection, whatever the personal and true cost is whether or not it actually makes you want to get up in the morning and do whatever you chose/choose to do, and no one can decide that for another person.

Last edited:
I've No/zip/Zero arguments to offer against your sane notions there. My only position is this "magical mystery tour" that is life is a sadly brief but amazing experience, and no one should ever fail to pursue their proper passion, no matter the challenges attendant. I've always found that sometimes accomplishing the "impossible" as "they all" said was among the most rewarding and truly fun things to do in life. I guess I just like to cheer lead for such notions. What's best for any individual person is purely theirs to determine, as it should be. For flying there are (at least financially) "free" ways of achieving that through military service. Having said that: None of us can ever even wistfully know if some/any "road not taken" in life might've just put us in a crosswalk to be run over by some bus that missed the red light. ;) I think the best possible judgement on any career selection, whatever the personal and true cost is whether or not it actually makes you want to get up in the morning and do whatever you chose/choose to do, and no one can decide that for another person.
Including BS career counselors. :)

Man talk about a parasitic useless job. :rolleyes:

Including BS career counselors. :)

Man talk about a parasitic useless job. :rolleyes:

Indeed. One simply can NOT imagine finer parody than that of some clearly "career"-less troll (by any/ALL practical definition) being somehow insanely paid to "counsel" others on what to do (or even dare to attempt) with their lives. I'll never forget the mandatory high school meeting all students had with the designated "College/Career Counselor" so many decades past. I was even then struck by the obvious fact that the person involved was sadly imprisoned within just a school for kids, and quite obviously suffering from the effects of having NO personal life accomplishments himself....See listings under "Folks, you just can't make such utter BS up!" Bottom Line for all of us human beings = It matters NOTHING what anyone/"everyone" else thinks. If you've a passion to pursue then do so...Period! If doing so kills you, then it kills you, but at least you will have actually been ALIVE in the meanwhile, even if you fail...Dramatic pom pom flashing over. ;)

Last edited:
you guys are wrong. there are financial counselors, marriage counselors, grief counselors, all just people who want to help.

the mlitary does a good job with ASVAB's. Career counselors use similar and even more probing tests to see what innate, natural interest you may have so you can explore. The premise is that you will excel at something you're genuinely intrested in.

Consider: 75% of college graduates work in careers not relative to their degrees! What a waste!

I have taken similar tests in HS, college, by my first airline during interviews, and finally, i paid a pro when aviation became boring and i needed help choosing a new college curriculum.

Judging from the low happiness and self esteem vibes I pick up here, some of you could benefit from counseling!

you guys are wrong. there are financial counselors, marriage counselors, grief counselors, all just people who want to help.

the mlitary does a good job with ASVAB's. Career counselors use similar and even more probing tests to see what innate, natural interest you may have so you can explore. The premise is that you will excel at something you're genuinely intrested in.

Consider: 75% of college graduates work in careers not relative to their degrees! What a waste!

I have taken similar tests in HS, college, by my first airline during interviews, and finally, i paid a pro when aviation became boring and i needed help choosing a new college curriculum.

Judging from the low happiness and self esteem vibes I pick up here, some of you could benefit from counseling!
If you need someone else to tell you where your interests are and to direct your career for you then maybe you need a different kind of counseling.

I stand by my previous statement. Career Counselor is a BS job.

Don't forget these same colleges you listed probably offer a course in "gender studies".

One simply can NOT imagine finer parody than that of some clearly "career"-less troll (by any/ALL practical definition) being somehow insanely paid to "counsel" others on what to do (or even dare to attempt) with their lives

I totally agree.

Last edited:

I've always found narcissistic delusions of grandeur and naturally self-"importance" most amusing, so let's put you on the spot a bit here for some further laughs ;)

1) "the mlitary does a good job with ASVAB's."? Your personal assumption there is based on, well WHAT exactly? Quite obviously. even basic spelling on your part fails to prove much supportive of any of your supposed testing assertions.

2) "I have taken similar tests in HS, college, by my first airline during interviews, and finally, i paid a pro when aviation became boring and i needed help choosing a new college curriculum."...? Seriously? Exactly what "similar" tests did you take, and do perhaps realize that the ASVAB's apply only to enlisted applicants. No matter, perhaps a better source of good chuckles to achieve would come from asking just when was it that "aviation became boring" to you? What exactly have you actually done within aviation? Which "first airline during interviews" did you achieve a position with, and WHAT was that actual position?

3) "and finally, i paid a pro when aviation became boring and i needed help choosing a new college curriculum."? So in other words you didn't even finish college prior to your doubtless vast "experience" in even laughably supposed "aviation"? Exactly how did you find supposed "aviation" so "boring" and what were your "first airline during interviews" actually screening for?....Perhaps additional chocks? ;)

You sadly sound to me like nothing more than a self-pitying loser/wannabe that clearly needs others to do your "thinking" for you, so kindly excuse me for my earlier shared notions of: "Bottom Line for all of us human beings = It matters NOTHING what anyone/"everyone" else thinks. My only position is this "magical mystery tour" that is life is a sadly brief but amazing experience, and no one should ever fail to pursue their proper passion, no matter the challenges attendant. I've always found that sometimes accomplishing the "impossible" as "they all" said was among the most rewarding and truly fun things to do in life. I guess I just like to cheer lead for such notions.If you've a passion to pursue then do so...Period! If doing so kills you, then it kills you, but at least you will have actually been ALIVE in the meanwhile, even if you fail...Dramatic pom pom flashing over."...Such notions I now realize must seem unduly "threatening" to such as yourself.

You need NOT necessarily exist as just a "loser" your whole life though, rather than actually Live, and no "counselor" can help you with that concept. Such has to come from within YOU....Just saying. Get Up, Grow Up and shake all the "I dunno if I can" BS off and just go straight ahead for whatever you want. NEVER limit yourself, but rather force the world to try to even DARE defeat you instead...You just might be surprised at your own ability to overcome.

P.S. Per "and finally, i paid a pro when aviation became boring"? Well, I suppose I can't fault that, at least with the likes of the Swedish Women's Volleyball Team contracted for a weekend or so. We're now done here...and I won't even charge my usual fees for "counseling"....Per "Judging from the low happiness and self esteem vibes I pick up here, some of you could benefit from counseling!"?...I'll of course take that under proper advisement immediately. ;)

Last edited: