Help An Old History Buff

diogenes

Veteran
Aug 22, 2002
Two questions I'd like some help with.

1. Prior to the AL-PI buyout, the IBT represented fleet services in four AL locations - PIT, PHL, BUF and memory fails, LGA or ROC?.

In view of airlines being a union shop under the RLA, how did AL manage this? You'd think the IBT would have represented all AL fleet personnel.

2. At merger in 1989, how were the PI and AL fleet services merged in those four locations? Separate or joint scheduling, bidding, etc. Was the disparity between union and non-union fleet services the prime motivation for the vote to re/decertify the IBT? Why was there even a vote - the IBT was the union of record? Did the membership, or the company request a vote? If the company, on what basis?

Any valid insight is appreciated, and I'm not looking to refight the union/no union, AL/PI, North/South Civil War. What I'm curious about is just how far back did some very shady planning occur, given the immediate hits agents took very shortly after decertification.

Thanks for your help.

There were four cities represented by the IBT at BOS, BUF, PHL and PIT. And AL made sure that those four cities made less pay then the non-union cities.

During the merger the employees were dove tailed, which means one for one in seniorty.

The NMB ordered a new election because of the merger and at the end of the election the union failed to get enough votes.

The day after the merger there was a "Fence Agreement" at the IBT cities.
PI employees were permitted to work former PI flights on PI gates ONLY.
Catering and Operation was performed by IBT members, usually on overtime of course. :up:

Latest posts

Back