Help! Should I Become An Ame At Age 32?

HeavyD

Jul 18, 2004
Hello all, I am new to this excellent forum. After leaving my job as a jail guard :angry: (just couldn't take it anymore) I need a new career. Since I can remember I have enjoyed aviation but my eyes are too bad to ever fly. I was thinking of being an AME but at my age (32) I want to make the right choice. I have been told by most schools out there that the jobs are plentiful...am I being fed a line? Is an M career better than an S (structures)? What are the pros /cons of each? Is this going to be a rewarding career? If you posters could redo your career choice, would you become an AME again?
Thanks for any input anyone can give a slightly-older person having a tough time deciding his career!

I don't think 32 is too old to start. I went to college with a guy who was starting in his 40's and there were others all ages in between. Maturity has its rewards.
As for the line they're feeding you, there is a demand for licensed/experienced guys, and you have to start somewhere. Read thru some of the earlier threads about guys looking for jobs and see what you're up against, and whether you're willing to try or put up with it.
I'm not from the structures background, but I'm concerned how much work is out there for them, I have heard of alot of layoffs from major companies in the past, as well as a local company that specializes in sheet metal recently. It may be tough getting in the door when so many more guys who have already been there are still trying to get their old jobs back.
Again, make sure you go through all the old threads, there is a ton of info there that'll help you.

Diddo what Magseal said, take some time and research old topics and threads and you'll get a pretty good idea of what's out there.
As far as your age, it doesn't mean sh*t, specially when you consider how spoiled and lazy some of those kids coming out of college are!!!!
To be honest, I would rather hire a guy with no education or experience if he's mechanically inclined and has excellent references. rather than hire some college punk that has no work history. (now now you guys, don't get all excited! I'm not saying all college kids are punks, I went to college and was given a break like everyone else! I'm just sayin the pattern developing as a general rule these days, is that less and less kids are raised with good honest hard working ethics is all I'm sayin! So back off!!!!!!! :D)

Anyways, like Magman said, once you have an M license, you'll have guaranteed work for the next 25 years unless they find a magic pill to give all those baby boomers back their youth and vitality!!!

32??? You're still a puppy... If it's what you want to do, go for it... I had a fellow working for me a while back who came out of tech school when he was +/- 48 years old!!! I used to tease him that he was the worlds oldest apprentice... Great guy who has now found himself a nice cushy retirement job fixing TC's airplanes...

I know two guys n their 50s who just came out of school. Of course they are retired from a former job where they had mechanical experience so taking the school course just made them more employable

Go for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If I can be of any assistance let me know. I've been at it for 34 yrs give or take a couple of months & no regrets at all :up:

Latest posts

Back