Here, Hear...

How about when someone says "these ones"? I know, I probably used quotes the wrong way.

My folks are European and they told me countless times that English/American is an incredibly difficult language to use.  There are so many similar words (as pointed out in the OP) that it can be frustrating for someone born here much less for someone who first language is not English/American.  I imagine if you asked a random sampling of educated people to use all those words correctly in a sentence without the explanations given in the OP a significant number would fail on at least a few. 

My spelling stinks, always has.  I have the ability to formulate sentences and thoughts but spelling has never been my strong suit.  Why is there is "k" in knife? Why is there "witch' and "which"?   As for the OP, i read the 'take v bring' several times and I still don't like it.  "Can you take something to Johns" sounds awkward to me.  I will probably still use 'bring' but will think of this post when I do.  I do not think I eve used the word 'discrete' in a sentence,   I use their synonyms.

I never tossed applications of resumes for spelling/grammar errors.  It happens.  I looked at them to see how they were constructed.  Did they use words in the correct context?  Is the sentence structure that os a 5th grader or a college student?    When I talk to the person can they formulate an intelligent thought? 

I currently work with a bunch of young people (18- to mid 20's) and the language skills of many of them is abhorrent.  We work in a public contact position and when I hear them speaking (or talking... Which would be better) with our customers I cringe.  They use double negatives, slang, too many contractions in my opinion.  I think that this needs to be dealt with first, then we can worry about principle v principal.

When I was growing up in the '50's and '60's, the best public English spoken in this country was by the network news commentators--like Walter Cronkite, Douglas Edwards, John Chancellor and a host of others.  Their news scripts were edited carefully before broadcast to remove/reword misspoken words and phrases.

The "fingernails on chalkboard" error for me today is the egregious misuse of the reflexive pronoun, myself.  Myself should be used only in extremely limited and specific circumstances--almost none of which have occurred when myself is used today.

"I hurt myself trying to chop wood without instruction."  Correct

(One I hear on television a lot these days...)
"If you would like to comment on this program send an email or tweet to myself or Sarah."  Wrong, wrong, wrong...on TWO accounts.  First off, it should have been "to Sarah or me." Note the order...you should always come last in the list.  And, it should always be "to me"  not "to myself."  The way to tell if a pronoun is wrong in a compound structure "pronoun AND some other name, object" is drop the other name or object, and see how it sounds.  You wouldn't say "send the comment to myself", would you?  I hope not.

Ms. Tree, as a fellow bleeding heart liberal I usually agree with you but, you are doing a disservice to young people by not expecting excellence from them--especially in their first presentations (resumes) to the business world.  If one can not spell or use the English language correctly, one can not present to and convince others of their "intelligent thoughts." (Allowances for foreign-born, but not for born and raised in Plano.)  I used to work with a young woman at Texaco who could make a computer do everything except wash dishes, but who couldn't spell cat, and seemed to be rather proud of it.  One had to read her emails out loud and phonetically to figuring out what the hell she was trying to tell you.  She kept complaining to me about not getting promoted above programmer.  I kept telling her that she needed to make some effort to spell and write correctly.  As a computer programmer, she refused to see the value of either activity.  When I left Texaco several years later, she was still a programmer (an entry level position) because that was the one thing everyone was sure she was good at.

I agree with expecting excellence but I think to a degree it eliminates a very qualified pool of people. I agree that in a lot of cases poop spelling/grammar go hand in hand with other undesirable qualities but not always.

two more examples that I hear often.  BTW does often have a silent T? 
1.where are you going to
2.where is it at

It's can versus may for me.

Person: Can I go [SIZE=14.3999996185303px]out with my friends?[/SIZE]
Me: I don't know can ya? Kenya is in Africa.

May I go out with my friends?
Sure.

SparrowHawk said:
Person: Can I go [SIZE=14.3999996185303px]out with my friends?[/SIZE]
Me: I don't know can ya? Kenya is in Africa.

May I go out with my friends?
Sure.
I remember when my English teacher used to do that to me. It really pissed me off.  

I think it is important to realize there is a difference between business correspondence and everyday speech.

jimntx said:
I used to work with a young woman at Texaco who could make a computer do everything except wash dishes, but who couldn't spell cat, and seemed to be rather proud of it.
I probably have a lot in common with your friend, though I specialize in networking instead of programming. The difference is I am smart enough to use spell check and edit E-Mails for phrasing before hitting send (or posting).

jimntx said:
When I left Texaco several years later, she was still a programmer (an entry level position) because that was the one thing everyone was sure she was good at.
I would like to know what parameters you are using to justify programming as "entry level". That would be like saying an A&P is "entry level". How about your job as a flight attendant? Is that "entry level"?

One of my ex coworkers just got his CCNP (a networking cert) and was offered a job for 96k per year a few months back (in Oklahoma.......). Is that "entry level"?

You are always going to have some a-hole in a suit try to convince you that your skills are worth less than they actually are so they can take advantage of you.

your a buncha illitists.......y dont u like go back 2 karl marx state libtard univeristy.....if u dont like it this is how normall ppl talk 2day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 #yolo #swag

ym2h4eeH1qzj7epo_zpsb1854eee.png

Reactions: 5 people