Heroes Who Pass Out Snacks

It is the flight attendant's job to evacuate the aircraft. Being a hero means going above and beyond the call of duty, such as returning to a burning plane to retreive a passenger who was too shocked to evacuate with everyone else (probably against regulations :rolleyes: ).

When a firefighter goes into a burning house, he is doing his job. People calling a firefighter a hero for doing that dilute the meaning of the word "hero". If firefighters never entered burning buildings or if flight attendants sat on their asses after a crash, would they just be plain old employees? No, they would be fired ex-employees! There has to be some grey area between one who is fired for failure to perform your job duties and a hero.

SKY HIGH said:
PineyBob said:
99.99% of the time that nice lady or gentleman who brings you your cocktail or soft drink is notihng more than glorified wait staff.

SKY HIGH states: wait staff?......Such ignorance. Flight attendants are trained in stroke, heart attack, bleeding, burns, evacuations, decompressions, bombs, terrorism, child birth, ditching, diabetes, CPR, Defibrillators, emergency equipment, broken bones, asthma, choking, unconsiciousness, firearms, prisoners.............and the list goes on.
What's the ratio?.......I believe One in Six flight attendants will prepare the cabin for an EMERGENCY LANDING in their career. This carrier will have several cabin preps PER YEAR. The defibrillator at U has already saved lives. (operated by a FLIGHT ATTENDANT). And lets not forget the numerous inflight medical emergencies that occur weekly.
Flight attendants do NOT have to evacuate an aircraft to convey the SAFETY PROFESSIONALS that they are. :up:

now, lets get back to more IMPORTANT issues, like the long term success of this company! :up:
[post="289214"][/post]​
Last year during boarding of a SJU flight a pax was was found in his seat with no pulse and was not breathing. With the help of the lodo(his family did not speak english) we lifted him out of his seat and I shocked him with the AED. 10 minutes later when the EMT unit took him off the A/C he was alive. I continued on the flight to SJU(I had plans) but for 1 flight those pax treated me with the respect we should get every day.
On a sad note noone from the company ever contacted me about this incident. I finally went to my supervisor and asked them to find out what happend to the man. He had surgery and was doing well.

JS said:
It is the flight attendant's job to evacuate the aircraft. Being a hero means going above and beyond the call of duty, such as returning to a burning plane to retreive a passenger who was too shocked to evacuate with everyone else (probably against regulations :rolleyes: ).

When a firefighter goes into a burning house, he is doing his job. People calling a firefighter a hero for doing that dilute the meaning of the word "hero". If firefighters never entered burning buildings or if flight attendants sat on their asses after a crash, would they just be plain old employees? No, they would be fired ex-employees! There has to be some grey area between one who is fired for failure to perform your job duties and a hero.
[post="289459"][/post]​
So, as long as Hero work isn't in your job description or expected of you, then you are a can be a Hero.
If you sign up to be a hero, then you can't be one. Got it.

Based on JS' logic, Al Haynes was just having a normal day at work doing his job when he saved all those folks on UA 232. After all, it was his job, correct?

dc3fanatic said:
So, as long as Hero work isn't in your job description or expected of you, then you are a can be a Hero.
If you sign up to be a hero, then you can't be one.  Got it.
[post="289616"][/post]​

Give me a break, you cannot sign up to be a hero. Heroism is not a job title.

hp_fa said:
Based on JS' logic, Al Haynes was just having a normal day at work doing his job  when he saved all those folks on UA 232.  After all, it was his job, correct?
[post="289627"][/post]​

That is correct. If the job of a pilot is to land the plane only in normal conditions, then they really would be bus drivers and paid accordingly.

Not only that, but don't you think that Al Haynes was just the least bit interested in saving his own skin? Hello, he was on the disabled plane! A hero would be a pilot who has a parachute and chooses not to use it, but instead risks his own life to save the passengers' lives.

If people abuse the word "hero", it will become as meaningless as "security", a word well abused by flight crew, the same people who magically turn into heroes merely for not failing.

Us/boston said:
Last year during boarding of a SJU flight a pax was was found in his seat with no pulse and was not breathing..... we lifted him out of his seat and I shocked him with the AED. 10 minutes later when the EMT unit took him off the A/C he was alive. I continued on the flight to SJU(I had plans) but for 1 flight those pax treated me with the respect we should get every day.

SKY HIGH:
:up: :up: Awesome JOB, Us/Boston. I know someone who thinks you're a hero.
he's alive and doing fine, BECAUSE OF YOU.

You make me, proud. NICE JOB!

training and preparation nothwithstanding--never an accurate indication of what or how, anyway--let's revisit the case of a f/a: trained for emergencies, yet, it is a statistical improbabability that a f/a will ever have to evacuate an aircraft.
if a pilot (trying to articulate this on a level you can comprehend) navigates an airplane that i (or somebody i know or love) am on to safety in the face of some failure, i.e., mechanical, weather, etc., then, to be sure, that pilot is a hero! and, despite their success, actually.
you can never, despite the situation, dillute the act of saving a life to anything other than heroic, despite the training, etc.
i think it is the marines that embrace the slogan: "prepare for war, pray for peace". the war in iraq is a catastrophic misery; yet, i would gladly identify those who have died as heroic. they did not choose the medium, yet, they were prepared for it...is it any less heroic? nope!
there is another term, regrettably underused, that, if applied with the frequency it deserves, would also depreciate in meaning...that word is coward (with, as is appropriate in this situation, the qualifier: jealous).

PineyBob said:
But to the 300 customers, family, friends & loved ones I would venture a guess that to them the flight crew are indeed heros.
[post="289425"][/post]​

One might assume so, but some people have an incredible amount of chutzpah. I remember reading the day after the accident/evacuation a quote from some stupid you-know-what of a passenger complaining about the actions of the flights attendants (except she called them 'hostesses"). I guess she was upset that they had the audacity to yell at her to get the hell out of the plane or something...
<_<

speaking of HEROES.........READ ON.

Lifesavers

ARLINGTON - The morning of Aug. 18 was like any other at the Hilton Head airport. At 11:15 a.m., all that changed, when a passenger told Customer Service Agent Herb Hook that her taxi driver had collapsed while removing her luggage from the cab’s trunk.

Herb immediately relayed the news to the other agents on staff, who called 911 for help. Herb, Customer Service Agent Bart Korb, and Station Manager Teresa Harrison rushed outside to assist the driver, who was lying on the pavement just outside the door leading to the ticket counter. When they arrived, Randall Zeh, the son of flight attendant Ann Zeh, was on the scene and trying to locate a pulse. The cab driver was completely unresponsive with no pulse.

Bart found that the driver’s tongue had fallen back and was obstructing the airway. He quickly removed his belt and was able to use the strap to hold the tongue in place and free the airway. Teresa rushed back in to the terminal to get an airway mask, which Randall used to commence rescue breathing procedures, while Herb began CPR. Herb and Randall continued to perform CPR until the EMTs arrived.

Meanwhile, the entire Hilton Head team assisted with directing arriving passengers and bystanders. This minimized delays and passenger inconvenience.

The EMTs were able to shock the heart and get a rhythm back, prior to transporting the driver to the hospital. The Airport CFR Chief and the EMTs all commended our "Good Samaritans" and said that their efforts made the difference between life and death for the driver. Piedmont Airlines Director of Customer Services Mike Chumbley said, "Working together, our Hilton Head team truly made the difference: They saved a life."

Teresa said, "This team goes ‘above and beyond’ each and every day. But an event like this really leaves me in awe of the caliber and character of employees that Piedmont and US Airways are fortunate to have. I commend our team, and applaud the heroic and selfless actions of Herb, Bart and Randall. Well done gentlemen, well done!"