A Day In The Life Of A Furloughed Us F/a

Questions consist of .... Why do you want to work for XYZ Airline.
Answer: Because I know that Your Airline has been Profitable and feel that their is Stability with your Company.

When the interviewer knows you've come from USAirways, "You guys are profitable and stable," is probably the one thing you should NOT say when asked why you'd like to join a new carrier.

You're going to have to develop some more polished answers.

N305AS said:
Answer: Because I know that Your Airline has been Profitable and feel that their is Stability with your Company.

When the interviewer knows you've come from USAirways, "You guys are profitable and stable," is probably the one thing you should NOT say when asked why you'd like to join a new carrier.

But I've got a REALLY nice tan...

Sorry, couldn't contain myself. MY BAD.

Dilligas said:
Have fun. Who needs that silly ole education stuff anyway. You'll never get old or have responsibilities.

Party on, and best wishes.

PS: in ten years your Dad will seem a hell of a lot smarter than he is today.

FYI

I have no intention of going back to school...being in School full time won't pay the Bills.

Gee, I was 19 at that time and didn't have responsiblities...I have since been Married had kids and Got Divorced !!! So, if MAA is going to be my only Choice..SO BE IT !!!! What you do with your life is YOUR choice and what I do with My life IS MINE !!!!

When I posted the letter Last night I was truly PISSED OFF and just wanted people to know what we have to go through to try and get a job.... Oh and by the way I know someone that was furloughed LONG before I was... almost every job they tried to get...EVEN OUTSIDE OF THE AIRLINE BUSINESS.... this person was told to JUST WAIT FOR US AIR TO CALL YOU BACK !!!!! Yeah.... and HE HAS 2 DEGREES !!!!!!!!!!! Yeah school REALLY HELPS !!!!!!!!!!!!!

N305AS said:

Okay.... Care to give girl the MAGIC ANSWER ???????????

Colby -

There's no magic answer, but I look for people who realize it's not a job, it's a lifestyle. I'm in the same boat as you. I'm still here because I like being around airplanes, and airplane people. However, there are an awful lot of people who feel entitled in this industry. Some of them have even posted here. True, a new hire could decide to leave. But I hope that when I hire, I hire someone who wants to be in this industry, not just someone who wants a job. The one who wants the job will leave for something better, no doubt. In my own example, I know that I could make more money in my position if I was outside the airline industry. But I like being around airplanes and airline people, so here I am.

I don't just owe someone a job because they've been a FA. If I think that the cost to train them won't be recouped (for any reason), then I'm not going to hire. In all honesty, it can be hard to fill positions these days.

I can tell that you enjoy the lifestyle, Colby. That's why you are clinging to a hope that you'll be called back. I understand that resigning before being hired by someone else means that you probably have to give up pass privileges. But I have a responsibility to use training dollars wisely, not just give people jobs. As I said, I've been burned, and my goal is to make sure that doesn't happen, regardless of where the employee comes from previously. I've lost some darn good FA's, because they can go back and hold a line.

7.5victim said:
That's why you are clinging to a hope that you'll be called back.

What else is there to hope for ????? As I said previously.... Even outside the Airline Business doesn't want to hire us because they think we are just MAGICALLY gonna be called back in a Couple or Weeks.... I have actually had quite a Few people ask me So how long are you Laid-Off for.... I understand that they REALLY don't understand the Industry.

I understand that I am not Owed anything..... What I find interesting is that Im not the only one out there applying at other Airlines and being turned down Left and Right.... 2 of my friends that work for the Particular Airline that just turned me down know me well.... One is a Captain for them and SHE wrote me a letter of Recommendation and the Other is a Station Supervisor that Also wrote me a Letter.. They know that I am not one to Jump Ship~but rather one that will Hang in there till the Bitter End.... So, when these other people that I met in the interview process call or email me that they can't Take the Stress of Training or Being away from home anymore..... I will simply SMILE and think...Well, they Could have Hired me but was too afraid to take a Chance on Me !!!!! ;)

N305AS said:

I thought that was a great answer. First off, it's truthful and secondly, it shows the applicant is interested in working for a well run company that will have a greater chance of providing secure employment, a good work environment where employees aren't viewed as liabilities, and, one day, a pension. It shows the applicant wants a job he/she will be able to have for many years. Companies would rather not pay for training, then lose an employee after a short time and have to spend more training his/her replacement. What would you consider a good answer that doesn't sound totally phony? I'm sure some of the interviewers either have personal experience with a lousy employer (like USAirways) or know someone who's "been there, done that".