A Day In The Life Of A Furloughed Us F/a

Colby

Senior
Sep 30, 2003
Today was just another day of this Furloughed Flight Attendants attempt to MOVE ON !!!

I had a Second interview with another Airline this morning. That consisted of me getting up at 2:00 am in order to get a ride to the Airport with my roommate to whom is employeed by TSA... Yep... No Parking Permits Here !!!!!

Got on a flight of another Carrier to go to their interview flight was at 6:00 am. Due to a Mechanical...Left 1/2 hours late. Got to Destination only 15 minutes late. Went to Interview session and waited to be Interviewed by 3 Employees of Particular Airline.

Questions consist of .... Why do you want to work for XYZ Airline.
Answer: Because I know that Your Airline has been Profitable and feel that their is Stability with your Company.

Question 2: What one word do you think describes you ?
Answer : Flexibility..... I am used to being wherever Im supposed to be Whenever Im supposed to be there.

Question 3: Do you think you will be able to go from Being a Lead Flight Attendant to the ONLY Flight Attendant ?
Answer : Yes
Question : Why
Answer : Because as Lead F/A I made all the Decisions...As the Only F/A I will still be able to make decisions and if not..Ask the Capt or FO for Help.

Question: If You were to start Training and One Week Into Training US AIR calls you back would you go?

Answer: No, Us Airways can NOT offer me the Stability that your company can offer me !!!!

Just an example of the Questions that We Have to answer trying to move on with our lifes as Furloughed UsAirways flight attendants that don't expect to ever get called back.

AND WHAT DO WE GET FOR ALL THIS EXPERIENCE ???????

Oh just another REJECTION LETTER FROM ANOTHER AIRLINE THAT DOESN'T WANT EXPERIENCED FLIGHT ATTENDANTS WORKING FOR THEM !!!!!!

SAD ISN'T IT ??????

I know there are A LOT of Good Flight Attendants out there.. What A Shame that all those Passengers won't be able to Experience their Wonderful Personalities !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hang in there Colby -

This is one of those "big picture" situations...

In all honesty, I've been burned by FA's who have come to work for me, and then left to go back to their previous carrier when recalled. It cost us in the neighborhood of $4000 to train an FA. If they only work for 3 months, and leave when recalled, not only did I not recover the training cost, but now it's doubled, because we have to train someone else to replace that FA!

I obviously don't know how close you are to being recalled, but have you offered to give up your recall rights if offered a position? What it says to someone who is interviewing you is that being a FA is most important to you. Not being a US Airways FA. It sounds to me like you love to fly, and I'm sure you'd be a great addition to any carrier. The fact that you are willing to start out again at the bottom also says a lot. Letting the interviewers know that you are willing to make a long term committment to the new carrier would probably put you over the top.

I've been where you are, and I know its frustrating. But dust yourself off, and give it another shot. You might want to check this Sunday's DTW Free Press, if you know what I mean... ;)

7.5victim said:
I've been where you are, and I know its frustrating. But dust yourself off, and give it another shot. You might want to check this Sunday's DTW Free Press, if you know what I mean... ;)

Thanks for the Info... Just so Happens that I will be home in MI this weekend...

Also, A GREAT BIG THANKYOU to all that have emailed and PM'd me...After being turned down 3 times you tend to start taking it Personally !!!!

I actually recieved the email this Morning...I wish I could post it on here but Im not sure how to do that. Basically the are telling me Im OVERQUALIFIED !!!!

I know 2 people that interviewed with me recieved phone calls and were hired..They were never Flight Attendants before... HMMM

Well, I guess if that's what they want. They are worried about US being called back.. HA HA :lol: :lol: :lol: Not likely at my Seniority !!!! What's funny is We've already been through it...and Are willing to go through it AGAIN.. These people have NEVER been through the long hours studying and the stress of watching Friends leave after failing too many tests... Ya, They're ALL gonna stay through the whole process !!!!

Oh well, Guess there's a Few Airlines out there that I've YET to Try ;)

Hey, maybe I could go Back to Working the Ramp.... I hear SouthWest is Hiring in PHL !!!!!!!!!! ;)

Well then maybe, these other airlines can make a deal. If you do not work for a minimun of two years, the F/A MUST reimburse all training costs...

Colby...hang in there, this may be a blessing .......

I think it should be illegal to ask people to give up thier recall rights. My status with a former employer essentially rehiring me is the same as getting hired by another employer. If the new company is better, I will turn down a recall if I get one. A newbie F/A can just as easily quit after a few months as a furloughed one... in fact it's more likely.

Whats really going on is that people who have been F/As are considered damaged goods... not only do you have another carriers procedures ingrained, but in some cases, you've had a taste of "the better life" (at least in thier view). These companies fear you might be a potential union organizer, or in some cases they are just jealous or intimidated. They may also percieve you to be a "jumper", going with a new carrier every few years. Ironically, loyalty is what is expected but we have little choice about downsizing, furloughs, and shutdowns.

Flight Attendant is one of the few customer service or safety professions where previous experience is not helpful, and in some cases can be a curse. When I was an Express flight attendant this seemed to be sneered at at interviews with the big boys. Now, at interviews for regionals, eyes roll when they see US Airways on your resume. I've actually been at an interview for a charter company in a big US city, where this was the first thing they did.

"How many of you are USAir?"

(80% of the room raises hands, lady snickers, rolls eyes, and nods her head)

"Well, before we start, if you wanna work here we need a resignation letter, and yes we will call them. This is not what you're used to and you probably wont like it. So you may as well leave now."

The few that did stay had to hear nasty comments and suffer through an interview with the words US Airways in every question, only to not get called while the newbies did. A friend of mine who now works for one of the Express carriers was actually told in the interview "We dont normally hire mainliners." They did get the job, but not without numerous insensitive comments from supervisors and co-workers who find thier job loss to be extremely amusing, and any problem gets the same answer. "This isnt mainline, princess." "But the wing is on fire..." "This isnt mainline. There goes our first class flight attendant, too good for us..." I can assure you this person does not have an attitude.

At least the U F/As are all pretty junior. I met a 18 year TWA F/A at that same interview who was desperate for the job... he was given a two minute chat and the same smug "You'll get a letter sometime in the next six weeks."

If they are that concerned about it (and they really shouldnt be too concerned with US Airways recalling anyone, but that may be an opportunity for me years from now... why should I have to give it up?) then have new hires sign a contract and if they leave within a year or two, make them pay for training like Hope said. Many airlines do this with pilots.

I think its such a shame that there are thousands of experienced F/As, that know how much time and effort the career takes and are willing to return, out of work while new people that dont know what to expect are given positions. The "Big Six" may not be hiring but the successful LCCs and pretty much every regional is. Since US has as of yet not placed a single one of thier furloughees anywhere, you would think others would be happy to have some of the best crewmembers in the industry. Sadly, no... Colby's experience is pretty common.

Light Years said:
A newbie F/A can just as easily quit after a few months as a furloughed one... in fact it's more likely.

EXACTLY !!!!!!!!

Someone in my Training Class got through 6wks Training...Graduated and the day we came to our base...She got off the Hotel Van realized she had 5 days to find somewhere to live and said.... SCREW THIS .... And went back to her Home town !!!!!!!!!

My biggest Problem with Resigning is AT LEAST let me get through Training first !! Hey I had to do a couple of those Re-Takes... Talk about STRESS!! So what do you do if you fail out of your Training Program AND you have Resigned from your Particular Airline ?????????? :shock:

Colby said:
<snip>

... just another REJECTION LETTER FROM ANOTHER AIRLINE THAT DOESN'T WANT EXPERIENCED FLIGHT ATTENDANTS WORKING FOR THEM !!!!!!

<snip>
Colby,

I hope that you and any of the other flight attendants, furloughed or active, will not take offense at the following.

I feel like there is a lot of truth in the statement of yours that I quoted above. Think about it on a deeper level, as I believe it is very telling.

Being a flight attendant is no longer a wise career choice. Yes there are opportunities and some perks to it, but one should balance out the pro's and cons of the lifestyle and todays harsh realities and the future forecasts. I think its fine for a short term job, especially if you are single and have no responsibilities, and want to travel.

Companies do not want experienced, career minded, long term flight attendants. They see them as a necessary expense but not as an asset. By making the job as unattractive as possible and the conditions onerous, they rid the payroll of the senior folks who realize it just isn't worth it anymore. There is always an eager starry eyed youngster to exploit for a few years until they, too, wise up.

I did like the industry, but would not recommend it to any young person. It is not the career it once was, it is ONLY a job, and I wish people would put the emotional attachment to an "airline career" and look at it objectively.

People who make good flight attendants have any number of career opportunities open to them due to their people skills and ability to adapt. I urge those on furlough to not waste another day of their future hoping for an airline job, and pursue a career which affords you a real future and some stability, both on the job and in your personal life.

I offer this with respect and empathy, and because I hate to see good people suffering.

Dilligas- I understand your points and respect your wisdom, and dont think anyone would take offence. I agree that this isnt the career it once was and it certainly is not glamourous (though I do believe it was before my time).

I personally choose to stay in the airline industry, because I truly do love aviation, the transportation industry, travel, and yes, people (I know, sounds like an interview...)

I know the industry is changing but I'd like to be a part of what it morphs into. If I did have the money and time to go to school (I have a HS degree, been "airlining" it ever since) I'd likely fail out due to boredom and lack of direction. I cant think of much else I'd like to do. I know you dont have to like what you do, most dont, but I'd rather enjoy my work life than get paid alot to be miserable.

The industry is in sorry shape at the moment, worse than it's ever been. However, there is still relative stability and contentment in other parts of the airline/aviation field. I loved my time at US Airways, but lately it feels like a graveyard. I think the airline has already been shut down in spirit. US Airways is a result of bad decisions and poor planning on many people's part, and the airline now resembles a drunk elderly person who has to be asked to leave at the end of the party. I wont let the sad, slow demise of one company put me off my interests.

I'd advise all the furloughed, junior folks to read your post but I'd also add this: Do not let your US Airways experience mold your ideas of other airlines or companies. There are places to work where management isnt constantly out to get you to the point of employees having ulcers everyday. There are places to work where half a decade of work isnt considered a new hire. There are places to work where you are not just a number. There are places to work where your co-workers are not jaded and tired but enthusiastic and energetic. There are places to work that reward you for a job well done. Belive it or not, some of those places fly airplanes... so if you really do enjoy it, don't let this bad experience deter you.

Light Years said:
I personally choose to stay in the airline industry, because I truly do love aviation, the transportation industry, travel, and yes, people (I know, sounds like an interview...)

CAN I GET A GREAT BIG A M E N !!!!!!

As far as Schooling goes....AGAIN I HEAR YA !!! I did 2 years of College but never got my Degree... Instead of staying and finishing.... I moved down to Miami To work on my Tan All Day at the Beach and Cocktail Waitress at Night !!!

I still remember something I told my Dad when I was heading off the Flight Attendant Training...My Dad told me "You'll never make it if you put in the kind of effort you put into High School and College"... My response to him was

"But Dad...Im actually INTERESTED in this "..... Makes a HUGE Difference !!!!

Colby said:
CAN I GET A GREAT BIG A M E N !!!!!!

<snip>

I did 2 years of College but never got my Degree... Instead of staying and finishing.... I moved down to Miami To work on my Tan All Day at the Beach and Cocktail Waitress at Night !!!
Ok, AMEN!

Upon further reflection, and now that you've shared more of your own serious career goals and planning for said career, let me wish you the best of luck at MAA.

Have fun. Who needs that silly ole education stuff anyway. You'll never get old or have responsibilities.

Party on, and best wishes.

PS: in ten years your Dad will seem a hell of a lot smarter than he is today.

Light Years said:
<snip>...

There are places to work where you are not just a number. There are places to work where your co-workers are not jaded and tired but enthusiastic and energetic. There are places to work that reward you for a job well done. Belive it or not, some of those places fly airplanes... so if you really do enjoy it, don't let this bad experience deter you.
Light Years,

Thank you for sharing from your point of view. I appreciate that you accepted my post in the spirit in which it was written. I do not want to presume to tell anyone what is best for them, or for their workgroup. I just care about people and want everyone to consider their options from a "big picture" perspective and not necessarily an airline perspective. I hate to see people exploited and come to the realization much later that they've wasted precious time. That is what I see this industry becoming.

Your points were well written and I take them to heart.

I wish you the best personally and careerwise, its a difficult time for sure, but this too shall pass, and we all make our choices, hopefully doing the best with what options we have available.