History of US TA service

jerseyfinn

Senior
Mar 19, 2006
NJ USA
Visit site
First, let me introduce myself to the forum. My wife & I are US1s ( actually true US2s who gain US1 status on last years promotion ). We live near PHL & fly US to Europe several times a year and to other domestic destinations. We like the US product, the employees, and how they all serve our travel needs.

I've been lurking here for some several months, enjoying the "aviation education" I receive from reading your posts here in this and in other forums.

Certainly many exciting things are on the horizon for US. I've been especially intrigued by threads about new aircraft and the operational issues surrounding them, and the robust thread on UA and the US relationship with *A and UA. Throw in the looming Open Sky talks and foreign ownership issues, and there's lots of possibilities looming in the future for the new US.

My specific question is this.

Can someone outline the evolution of US Airway's growth into Europe? I've gotten a piece of the puzzle from the *Alliance thread and am dying to learn more about how it all unfolded.

Living near PHL, we're excited at the prospect of more growth and direct travel opportunities to Europe.

Barry

US Airways began transatlantic flying in 1989 with service from CLT-LGW, as a result of the merger with Piedmont Airlines.
Shortly there after in 1990 or 1991 service from BWI and PIT to LGW started. All service to LGW starting in 1993 was done as a wet lease with BA. US 767s were painted in BA colours and US FAs wore BA uniforms and worked the flights.
In either 1992 or 1993 service to ORY and FRA began from PHL, followed shortly after by PIT-FRA service. ORY service was switched to CDG in 1995.
In 1997 US began new serice to MUC,FCO and MAD as well as bringing about the Envoy class service. In 1998 the wet lease with BA had been over for some time and LGW serivce began again from PHL,CLT and PIT.1999 saw service from PHL to MAN,BRU and AMS as well as the introduction of the A330 aircraft and First Class. BRU service wasnt making money and was shortly dropped from the route system. PIT-CDG and CLT-CDG service was started, but that was scrapped after a few months as well.
A few years ago US entered SNN,DUB and GLA. All PIT transatlantic service is now gone and beginning in 2006 new service to ARN,MXP and LIS will start. CLT continues to operate LGW and FRA service daily.

oops! I forgot to mention that from 1995-early 1998 BOS-FRA service was operated. Still dont know why that was ever given up.

Hi Barry,
Welcome...I can give you what I know about the growth in Europe by US Airways.
Actually it started in June 1987 when Piedmont first bought the 767 and started service from CLT to LGW.
As you may be aware US Air bought Piedmont in 1989 and with it the 767s and it's ETOPS program along with it. Expansion continued as 767s came on board with trips to FRA in 1990 and CDG in 1991.

Along came Stephen Wolf in 1996 and his quest for creating a world class global airline out of US Airways by adding MUC FCO and MAD. He also placed the orders in 1999 for the A330 and when they were delivered it allowed expansion to MAN in 2000, BRU (since discontinued) in 2001, and AMS.

Then came the seasonal stations. GLA, SNN and DUB in 2004.
BCN and VCE in 2005 and now with the purchase of additional lift with 3 757 ETOPS aircraft LIS, MXP and ARN

You forgot US has flown CLT-FRA for quite some time also and at one time US flew CLT-CDG.

And with all this expansion to Europe, and more routes next year and the following year, Will U.S make Seasonal routes like DUB/SNN year round as they have available aircraft now plus talk of more aircraft on the cards?

And there was also BOS-FRA when they stopped it from CLT only to end BOS-FRA and return it to CLT-FRA.

Latest posts