Merger Update from Travis Christ

Then ... move ... on! Good grief, if I were that unhappy with a vendor providing a service, I would stop doing business with that vendor. There's more to life than First class service! I have found in the past I care more about FF program benefits when I fundamentally dislike my job. When my job is going well, I rarely think about FF perks. Something to think about ...

You guys that go on-and-on about the wonderful meals on any airline really crack me up! Unless you order the "special" meal fruit plate for breakfast, for example, it's all so bad for you -- full of salt and fat and fillers (oh, my gosh -- would any of you pay a dime for that stuff in a restaurant?) And well, before 9/11, and back before Delta (or was it AA?) got rid of the olive, airline meals were consistently the butt of many jokes -- and for good reason -- even 1st class meals. I have been flying for 3/4 of my life -- as a paying passenger, on many a free AA ticket 'cause of FF status, and as an "employee". Have you ever paid a visit to any of the "catering" companies "kitchens"? If you saw what went into even those "delicious" UA meals -- you'd never, ever eat one again. Picking an airline because of it's meals is like buying a computer because of what "money" software it comes with (money, quicken, whatever) -- you might use it, but if it doesn't meet your needs you'll probably buy what you really want/need.

I think the company needs to use the Consumer Advisory Board and it most loyal fliers and have a meeting to set up some F/C standards.

US' F/C product is the bottom of the barrel.

At least Wolf and Gangwal realized what a F/C product was.

Or just freaking start charging for the F upgrades - we'll pay if we get a little more! I've said this before. Honestly, there's a price point here. Less than Nordstrom's, more than WalMart, as PineyBob likes to say.

AA F - $35/500 miles, free if you're EXP (100K miles)
UA F - $50/500 miles, no freebies (even 1Ks pay)

US, put in place an upgrade fee for SP, GP and PP. Let CPs upgrade comp. Not a huge upgrade fee, but enough to defray costs and bring in a small profit margin.

$20 for all flights 0-600 miles (enhanced snack basket, glassware)
$35 for all flights 600-1,400 miles and red-eyes (snack meal)
$50 for all flights 1,401 miles and up (upgraded meals, dessert, etc.)

Combine those incremental fees with a theoretical increase in rational paid-F fares and FirstUps now that people know they're getting something for their money... and you're printing money for seats that they're getting el zilcho for right now. Pay more, get more.

As a GP, I would literally give this money to US if I could. I'm asking US to let me pay them extra for my upgrades, if I see value for that dollar coming back.

But no, we're probably going to end up with some stupid CoachLessChoice, where we'll get charged for something we get for free right now. :rolleyes: :down:

You know this might seem cold and callous but if all you do is complain about how US treats you, then move on and find another carrier.

All you do is complain, complain and complain.

I mean it almost sounds like battered wife syndrome.

If things are so bad, move on and stop being so bitter about everything.
I hope that you are directing this statement to EMPLOYEES!! We need to do right by our FF's as THEY are the one's paying our salaries!!!

No it is directed towards the FF who are constantly complaining about US but yet continue to keep flying it.

I guess you need to reread what I posted so you can see it was clearly directed towards the FFs who do nothing but complain about US' service.

I sure read posts from A LOT of employees who are "constantly complaining" about things here. Why don't they leave if they are SO unhappy!!!!
I knew you were directing your comment to the FF's, but it should really be directed to the "constantly complaining" employees!

I have left US and really only plan to fly them when they are the absolute cheapest.. .but to add to the list of program "enhancements" code word for destroying dividend miles is the following:

No longer will high revenue fliers on Y and B fares receive a 50% preferred mileage bonus

and

Gold Preferred elite redeemable miles are cut by half from 100 to 50%

Also, after giving US West a try--I realized that I have received far better service and meals from third world airlines in coach. Add to that the fact that none of the front line staff would take responsibility for any of the merger screw-ups--all I heard was "We are two seperate airlines and unless you are on our stock and our record we can't do anything for you" A message that was reinforced from the Sandcastle who sent out the memo charging $100 for same day stand-by if you were switching from East to West or vice versa.

All BS- Christ would be lucky to be Gangwal's intern. :lol:

Add to that the fact that none of the front line staff would take responsibility for any of the merger screw-ups--all I heard was "We are two seperate airlines and unless you are on our stock and our record we can't do anything for you"

95%+ of the front line was unable to resolve issues that occurred on the other side of the airline. It wasn't because they didn't care, it was because they didn't have the tools.

I sure read posts from A LOT of employees who are "constantly complaining" about things here. Why don't they leave if they are SO unhappy!!!!
I knew you were directing your comment to the FF's, but it should really be directed to the "constantly complaining" employees!
I was thinking the same thing. Anyone has a right to complain . .but when they do it constantly--it's time to make a change!

Also, after giving US West a try--I realized that I have received far better service and meals from third world airlines in coach. Add to that the fact that none of the front line staff would take responsibility for any of the merger screw-ups--all I heard was "We are two seperate airlines and unless you are on our stock and our record we can't do anything for you" A message that was reinforced from the Sandcastle who sent out the memo charging $100 for same day stand-by if you were switching from East to West or vice versa.

Yes, the waffle breakfast can't cost them more than $1.50. It is pathetic. And, PB is right, when you get up at 4 a.m. and run out the door, it is nice to get something to eat on the plane.

And, I am not even whining about the problems with the 2 different reservations systems. Say what you want, but I waited patiently on the phone for 1 1/2 hours with the US1 desk while they resolved a problem a HP agent created--it was so bad that the US1 liason said, several times, you are being more patient with this than you should be. I can be patient with this type of "dust", I will, on the other hand, will continue to voice my displeasure with the decisions being made by Tempe that affect the US1.

And USFlyer, don't you worry about psychoanalyzing me. I do, however, find it very humorous that you have enough time in your day to be concerned about my problems--thank you for caring.

It seems that I may not have been far off. I do believe that our airline is finally getting it.

Let’s not forget we are in business to make money.

So many travelers see the airline as a service not a business and the monster has been growing for years. I do believe in rewarding repeat customers but to what extent. Do you give things away and sacrifice revenue?
I go to the same pizza restaurant for 12 years …NOT ONCE HAS HE EVER BOUGHT ME A PIZZA. He is nice treats me well and always remembers me
I think there is a place in the middle, because we have bills to pay just like any other business.

Amen to that.....since when does collecting a paycheck earn a higher complaining right than paying for services?? Good thing the rude complainers are the minority in the employee pool.

Here is some free advice: Don't make the same mistake US Airways did with PSA. US tried to impose its very "East Coast" business model, attitude & approach to the PSA customer base and we all know what happened there. Seems that HP/new US is in the middle of doing the exact same thing in reverse some 20 years later with likely the same lousy result.
Too late. This is exactly what HP is doing. I hope I will not have to use Consumer Affairs in the future, because Tempe has no idea of East Coast culture nor how to resolve issues. Doug Parker really needs to wake up. The entire operation cannot be run be the slow evolution in Tempe.