Us Airways B737 Vs. A320 Family

My point was on fuel flow only, nothing else.

This is a great thread. I would have to ask, bottom line, what is less costly...a new AB or a used 300. I can only look to NWA and their -9s for a suggestion of logic...but at $54 a barrel....maybe the AB do win out. Greeter.

Walmartgreeter:

Your point about the Airbus winning in the argument is valid with crude oil prices at $54 per barrel.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

BoeingBoy said:
To add to sfb's comments, here's the fuel figures the company submits to the BTS. These are cost of fuel per flight hour, not gallons or pounds.

B737-300 $745.25
A319 $757.42
B737-400 $798.24
A320 $878.02
A321 $954.12

Jim
[post="254527"][/post]​

I'd imagine that these numbers vary significantly based on where the aircraft flies, as fuel prices vary significantly regionally. For instance, I'd think that fuel in the Caribbean, where the A319/A320 flies is in general more expensive than fuel in the continental United States, leading to a higher cost per flight hour with all else being equal. Of course, the Airbus flights have a longer stage length and thus less fuel burn per hour, so perhaps that evens things out.

The bottom line is that none of us know for sure. I will say that I'm surprised that the two are as close as they are, regardless of which has a small advantage.

ringmaruf,

I'd add one thing to what you said - tankering. There's practically no where we fly the 737 that we can't tanker significant amounts of fuel if the price differential justifies it. Not true with the longer segments the Airbus flies that the 737 doesn't.

Jim

Think about the projected future use of Airbus vs. Boeing. Boeing is not considered a disposable aircraft like the Airbusses.

Now lets look deeper into this. The Airbus flies LONGER stage lenght flights thus cruising at say 37,000 ft for the most part burning less fuel. Most Transcon and Carib service is done by Airbus Equipment. Now the B737's do the shorter haul flights. More Take Offs daily than the SMALLER, Heavier Airbus. Also the short hops barely get up to any type of cruise altitude increasing fuel burn. If the Airbus did the shorter flights, the opposite would be the case with the Airbus Burning MORE fuel.
Captian, any time you want me to give you the EXACT landing Fees for the P.A. NY&NJ Airports I will gladly send them to you. And Yes, the SMALLER Airbii are MORE EXPENSIVE to operate into these Airports because they just weigh more and carry less passengers.

Ed

USA320Pilot said:
Some of the traditional "pessimists and naysayersâ€￾ on this message board questioned and disputed my comments on Boeing vs. Airbus fuel efficiency in US Airways' fleet.

Instead of voicing strictly my thoughts I wanted an expert opinion on Boeing vs. Airbus fuel efficiency. Thus, I sent an email to US Airways Program Manager of Fuel Optimization Mike Pulaski and asked him to provide information on B737 and A320 family fuel flow/consumption. According to Pulaski the average fuel flows per hour for each aircraft are:

B737-300: 5,900 lbs/hour
B737-400: 6,300 lbs/hour
A319: 5,600 lbs/hour
A320: 5,900 lbs/hour
A321: 6,600 lbs/hour

“Historically fuel efficiency declines with age and therefore, the Airbus are more efficient when compared to their delivered performance level than the older Boeings,â€￾ Pulaski said.

The A319 is lower than the B737-300, the A320 is equal to the B737-300, both the A319 & the A320 are lower than the B737-400, and the A321 with a maximum gross takeoff weight 205,000 pounds that is dramatically higher than the B737-300/400 has the highest fuel burn rate.

Regards,

USA320Pilot
[post="254512"][/post]​

that is accurate information thank you for the post, now what are the leasing costs of each hull, and the insurance costs, and the maintence costs, and the staffing costs. throw in the landing fee costs and then divide by hours flown you will then have a more accurate picture of what the operation of each aircraft is.

apples to apples.
but then if you use say the airbii on transcons which might command a premium vs the boeings in and out of say florida does that mean airbii can generate more revenue too?

:shock:

Vendetta 7 said:
Think about the projected future use of Airbus vs. Boeing. Boeing is not considered a disposable aircraft like the Airbusses.
[post="254565"][/post]​

Disposible by design. For example, structural members in the AB were designed to be replaced not repaired. Since the labor required to repair vs replace is higher, the AB will have less labor and less downtime when dealing with corrosion etc.

A320 Driver B)

That is not correct, US had less then 3 year and 2 year old airbii with corresion problems under the foward lav during the cockpit door mods and just recently another airbus had severe corresion problems under the galley, and the plane was not even 5 years old.

Airbus cannot manufacture the lav pans fast enough for the active A320 fleet so they can be replaced.

With the completion of the Phase II corrosion protection, most of these problems should disappear. Water and metal dont mix...not even on a Boeing.

A320 Driver B)

The issue is there should have been no water on two pieces of differant metal meet where the corresion occurs and US does not have the Phase II protection.

The first few A/C were delivered without Phase II corrosion protection and were later treated. That's part of the reason we got the six month extension on S1 Checks. Those first A/C were also delivered without clear coating on the paint and were later painted in Lake City Fla.

A320 Driver B)

Also, it's hard to completely protect the structure under high risk areas like galleys, lavs and door sills. That's why the have to be inspected!

No they were not repainted, they had some airframe and horizontal stabilizer work done at Lake City, due to airframe vibrations, the work was later moved to the Tampa hangar with the work being performed by Airbus and they had a lot of extra rivets added in the tail section. And all of the narrowbody airbii are having the lav pans replaced as they were NOT phase II, US is finding lots of corresion in the A320 fleet.

None of our Airbii has been repainted except the two in the Star Livery.

You know... I get so tired of arguing with you about things you know nothing about. I personally carried an A/C to Lake City and brought one out to TPA that same night. It had been CLEAR COATED!!! The paint was still tackey. They did the stab work as well. The TPA supervisor told me about the painting and what they were doing there. They also re-rigged the elevators.

A320 Driver B)

As for me, its Boeing or I'm not going. I've heard some pilots same the same. Didn't the French make Peugot{SP?} and Renault autos? After a few years they were nothing but rusty hulks. Savy

Latest posts

Back