How common for ex-employees to boycott US Airways?

Feb 3, 2006
First off, I should specify that I'm not a troll AND that my spouse, not me, used to work for US Airways. Also, that my spouse was not treated like crap any more than the typical U employee. After years of seeing the Crystal City suits, led by the thief-in-charge, Stephen Wolf, make many millions of dollars in pay, bonuses, etc., while screwing over the rank and file employees, my spouse quit. I should emphasize that I'm certain that many other airline employees with other companies have seen their pay and benefits reduced while their leaders were laughing all the way to the bank (just ask a former TWA employee what they think about AA management!). However, none of that personally affected myself or my spouse. As a result, I have vowed to never give a dime's worth of my business to US Airways. While they have many fine hard-working employees and I wish them no ill, I personally can't bring myself to direct any of my business (and I do quite a bit of paid flying) their way. I realize that folks like Wolf and Gangwal are long gone with their pockets full of money they got in undeserved pay and bonuses and that my personal boycott of U will have absolutely no effect on them. But the memory of how U management screwed over so many dedicated U employees (not to mention the undeniable fact of declines in U service and continued mismanagement) makes me unable to be a customer of theirs.

My question: Are there any other ex-US Airways employees or their family members out there who feel as I do and refuse to do business with their former employer?

Yes , I,am now a retired employee, and my friends a family members can not believe how Airways treats their former employees. All my friends have told me that they will never fly US unless no other option is available.
I,am sorry to say that at one time I would have tried to talk to them and try to explain that Management is the fault and not employees.
But more and more when I read the postings that have been placed on many subjects I now feel differently.
The New AIRWAYS is not the airline it once was. There seems to be a new generation that,s me me me me. And can not see much into the future.
I feel sorry for all the employees that have put in many years of service and will retire soon. And also to all the employees that have been working many years and hopefully will be working many more.
Sorry just I feel now.

Yes , I,am now a retired employee, and my friends a family members can not believe how Airways treats their former employees.

Retired? Lucky you. My spouse put in 20 yrs with U and, unlike Wolf & Gangwal who only had several years with U and are now making out like bandits, has virtually nothing to show for it. Perhaps a few bucks a month (not counting Social Security which is no thanks to U) from the old Piedmont pension plan at age 55, and a few from the 401K, but the US Airways "career" was a total waste. I really pity the folks whose pension plans were turned over to the PBGC and will take huge cuts because their pensions, unlike Wolf's, weren't fully funded. :down:

I agree with you about Wolf and gang. But lucky to be retired not at all, my pension was turned over to PBGC, medical almost reduced to nothing. AND LOW BOARDING PRIORTY
when traveling. All this after 37 Years.
And still having to work another job.
Lucky I don't think so.

If you're THAT short-sighted to boycott the airline for what happened awhile back then you're missing out.

My old lady flies twice a month for business -- usually to Miami and she always flies on US. She even tells the companies that are flying her that she prefers US Airways; if it costs more she'll pay the difference. So far, she has NOT had to do that.

She's also a former employee like myself. We'll keep flying US Airways because we like the employees and the airline gets us to our destination safely. What more can you ask?

Eye

I agree with you about Wolf and gang. But lucky to be retired not at all, my pension was turned over to PBGC, medical almost reduced to nothing. AND LOW BOARDING PRIORTY
when traveling. All this after 37 Years.
And still having to work another job.
Lucky I don't think so.

Sorry...you're absolutely right. Better to waste 20+ yrs rather than 37. It's all relative. I hope for your sake that your current and future life choices turn out better than the one that brought you to US Airways. Short of having ESP or a crystal ball, it's impossible to know how your choices will turn out (or what would have happened if your initial one would have been different).

If you're THAT short-sighted to boycott the airline for what happened awhile back then you're missing out.

Missing out on what? AA treats me just fine. It's not like U is the only game in town!

We'll keep flying US Airways because we like the employees and the airline gets us to our destination safely. What more can you ask?

AA's employees are nice to me and I they get me there in one piece, just like US Airways.

At least we can agree on the Steelers! :up:

Hey whatever floats your beanie, man. Personally, I have too many good friends at US Airways. I'd rather stick with the home team. Hey you can move on; but I make it a point to never forget where I came from.

Go Steelers!!

I have not flown US in at least 2 yrs. although I dont really fly a whole lot, the two or three times a yr I fly I buy tickets on United Express and Continental Express for my trips to ORF because I have found them to be cheaper than US. I dont mind flying US but they have had higher fares out of ABE to ORF. not sure why though but.

Thanks to all the retired and former employees who fly US. We do appreciate your support and business, and also appreciate the fact that you can move on without being bitter.

Very interesting topic and something this Current Management needs to examine inregards to Public PERCEPTION. Being in denial only FOOLS Yourself.

Yes , I,am now a retired employee, and my friends a family members can not believe how Airways treats their former employees. All my friends have told me that they will never fly US unless no other option is available.
I,am sorry to say that at one time I would have tried to talk to them and try to explain that Management is the fault and not employees.
But more and more when I read the postings that have been placed on many subjects I now feel differently.
The New AIRWAYS is not the airline it once was. There seems to be a new generation that,s me me me me. And can not see much into the future.
I feel sorry for all the employees that have put in many years of service and will retire soon. And also to all the employees that have been working many years and hopefully will be working many more.
Sorry just I feel now.
You're taking the word of disgruntles posters on this and other boards. I fly U and still recieve impeccable service, even though they cannot off the F service as before, but still very pleasant. You need to think for yourself and not rely on others to do so. Then again you are probably a liberal.

[quote name='won'tflyUSAIRWAYS' post='348502' date='Feb 3 2006, 01:19 PM']First off, I should specify that I'm not a troll AND that my spouse, not me, used to work for US Airways. Also, that my spouse was not treated like crap any more than the typical U employee. After years of seeing the Crystal City suits, led by the thief-in-charge, Stephen Wolf, make many millions of dollars in pay, bonuses, etc., while screwing over the rank and file employees, my spouse quit. I should emphasize that I'm certain that many other airline employees with other companies have seen their pay and benefits reduced while their leaders were laughing all the way to the bank (just ask a former TWA employee what they think about AA management!). However, none of that personally affected myself or my spouse. As a result, I have vowed to never give a dime's worth of my business to US Airways. While they have many fine hard-working employees and I wish them no ill, I personally can't bring myself to direct any of my business (and I do quite a bit of paid flying) their way. I realize that folks like Wolf and Gangwal are long gone with their pockets full of money they got in undeserved pay and bonuses and that my personal boycott of U will have absolutely no effect on them. But the memory of how U management screwed over so many dedicated U employees (not to mention the undeniable fact of declines in U service and continued mismanagement) makes me unable to be a customer of theirs.

My question: Are there any other ex-US Airways employees or their family members out there who feel as I do and refuse to do business with their former employer?[/quote]
At one time, long ago, i had such loyalty to US and always promoted them, even in the worst of times. However, enough is enough...after all thats happened over the years ( too lenghthy to mention ) now that im retired and moved on, so has my business. Jetblue is my choice and hopefully soon Virgin America.I wish everyone still employed the best, they have some of the greatest employees in the industry, but have the CRAPPIEST product- plain and simple... Peace to all who work there, but my money goes somewhere else.

[quote name='won'tflyUSAIRWAYS' date='Feb 3 2006, 01:19 PM' post='348502']
"First off, I should specify that I'm not a troll AND that my spouse, not me, used to work for US Airways."

Why the paranoia about being a troll. Obviously several people think of you as a troll or your wouldn't be so scared of being one. I vote that you are a troll.