How common for ex-employees to boycott US Airways?

Thanks a million, Dea.

I miss the group and still stay in the loop by the new PIT Local Pres and some members of the MEC that I respect.

Some of the f/as in PIT still call me for assistance on the contract and advice along with some members of the MEC.

I will always have my heart with labor and my eye on Jerry G. ;)

Pitbull, did you need a union to get those great benefits - or were they earned on your own merits, experiences and talent?

Not to lessen what you accomplished at US, but it's comforting to know you appear to have branched out (and succeeded) in the "real world."

It's a free country, fly who you want.
Eye

We're making progress here. You've advanced emotionally from saying folks who don't want to be paying customers of US (because of prior extremely shabby treatment as employees of US) are full of bitterness and in need of mental health benefits/treatment, to the point where you admit we live in a free country where folks can fly who they want. My work here is done. :p

qwerty,

When a company does the right thing, pays a decent wage and benefits, treats its employees fair and recognizes the value of its workforce, it doesn't need a union.

Dea

From what I hear, the threat of a union on the property keeps Delta in line. I don't know about Jet Blue. I've heard whispering about B6 wanting a union but it seems things haven't gotten to the point the employees are taking action so I assume they are happy enough.

Dea

Hi "Mother" Dea,

If I may, a little comment....

In the past, the threat of a union kept Delta in line (together with the "Delta family" atmosphere - remember the 767 the employees bought the company?). Whether that will continue considering the BK and cost cutting is anyone's guess at this point.

Jim

Back to topic.

I'm a retired U employee. I despise the old U management team (this includes the BOD cause they were a part of it) because of what they did for themselves and what they did to employees. I despise IAM (my union) cause they were a part of it too. Feels good to say it.
I retired (forced into it) because I was told by IAM....if you are 55 or more, you should retire
cause U gonna outsource you city and job. Given this advise by a "top" IAM exect. Didn't even hint that pension and medical might be turned over to gov and cost an arm and a leg and that I might consider staying and getting severance etc. Oh, and lets not forget the fact that the IAM had a Board member. Could get no dependable information from the company.
I had hoped to be treated with some respect as had been shown to previous retirees. Now "new management" tells we retired to "go to the back of the non-rev line." In essence saying, your many years of service don't mean anything now.
I have nothing but a voice, and when asked about US by friends and my new co-workers, I don't speak very highly of U....past or present. What can U expect? Threat you like dirt while working for them....then kick you when you retire.
When I fly, which is not very often, I check prices on other airlines FIRST, then compare U prices last, then make a decision. I'm not loyal to U....they were not loyal to me and my family.

Hey "Brother Jim"

I thought buying that 767 for Delta was the coolest thing ever! It goes to show that when employees are well-treated and happy, they will go far more than the extra mile for their company.

I love my job and have no problem doing whatever I can to give the best service to the customers possible. I've noticed most employees want to do good job. They want the customers to have a positive experience. Of course, I don't work for US Airways, I'm a dish-washer at Hooters. It's an age discrimination thing, but oh well. Time does march on and gravity works. :(

Dea :p

Pitbull, did you need a union to get those great benefits - or were they earned on your own merits, experiences and talent?

Not to lessen what you accomplished at US, but it's comforting to know you appear to have branched out (and succeeded) in the "real world."

qwerty,

Thanks for asking. Actutally my business and nursing degree really helped. But what the President of the company specifically noted was the union work I did, my commitment, and the ability to balance my time and schedule with running two offices in 2005. Plus, during most of my U employement I also went to school and finished another degree. He said he this type of commitment to excellence and professionalism is what he wants in his company and that I set a great example. I interviewed on 3 different occasions for this position (3 hours each time with his execs). The reference I used were Crew Sched director, Marick Masters (Pit Univ. Professor) and Jack Shea (President of Allegheny labor Council). Folks I believe I could trust for a good reference. The Pres told me my references came back superior.

Mostly, I owe a lot of gratitude to the f/as who had faith enough in me to represent them during the most difficult years at U and that experience alone boosted my resume...e.g., grievances, negotiations, system board, comunication skills, being a spokesperson, engaging senior managment on a daily basis, running two offices and being responsible for two office budgets etc...

They asked me what I was paid at U and I inflated it (too embarrassed to tell them what I made after 25 years) so they exceeded it beyond my expectation. I am in managment now, but they know how I feel about employees. If I reach performance targets, I want the employees to get rewarded with me.

I would tell you what company its with in Pittsburgh, but I don't trust U managment on this forum.

Best,

So Delta and JetBlue must treat their F/A's well.

They treat them better than U. Not everything is $$ related.