How Involved Was The Iam?

jetmechline

Aug 22, 2002
Shortly after the contract of 98 was voted on and passed, Wolfe was visiting Pittsburgh on one of his road shows. He was meeting with the employees in hangar 3 for a Q&A session. After the meeting was over, he was off to one side talking to a group of mechanics from hangar 5.

One of them asked Wolfe how he could justify giving the baggage handlers an increase of 12%, while only giving the mechanics 6%. He explained that in negotiations the company and the union negotiate a cash package. Once they agree on the dollar value of that package, it is then given to the union to divide up as they see fit.

I believe that the company gave the IAM the dollar figure they wanted, and it was up to the fighting machinist to decide who stays and who goes. Why would the company take two unskilled groups [ramp/utility] and wipeout one and leave the other relatively untouched? Especially, knowing that both work groups could easily be farmed out.

With all but a few utility people gone, keeping just enough to allow the classification to remain open, the IAM guarantees themselves that AMFA will never be a threat to them again.

If the entire utility group had been furloughed, the classification would no longer exist. That would mean for the first time ever, the mechanics and mechanics alone, would be eligible to vote in the union of their choice.

While I agree that the IAM did everything possible to protect what they could of the so-called un-skilled labor side of the coin...I do not see how keeping the classification alive only in nominal numbers at base maintenance locations insures that AMFA couldn't come into play again at some point. The Mechanics have a clear numerical advantage as of this latest contract.

By and large..Utility has been effectively wiped out...and in the not so long term , Stock clerks will be wiped out too. It's already noted that U is going to furlough a good number of both Utility and Stock Clerks....and the future of Stores is getting shakey in light of this. Stores Clerks evolve out of the Utility classification...where will they come from as attrition and retirement takes its toll in the future?

On another note....Utility , Fleet and the Mechanics are not the only voting members in this mix. The Planners and Tech Doc classification make up about 140 IAM Members between PIT , CLT and a couple in PHL. While not large in numbers...or even very vocal to this point...I can assure you that these people are going to have something to say if and when the IAM/AMFA debate comes up again.

Many in the Planning/Tech Doc classification see this as an opprotunity to get away from being unionized again....and most will tell you that being sucked into the IAM was not exactly a winning scenario for them...in fact it has cost them more than they could have ever hoped to gain from it. The main people in PIT and TPA whom asked for representation got it...but they didn't get it where they wanted it , if you catch my drift?

Lastly...if protectionism is your arguement? Think PIT when you make those claims. PIT should have been closed as a Base Maintenance Facility...and the whole enchilada should have been consolidated in CLT....the savings of time and movement of parts alone could have been enough to retain more than what we will have now...it would have likely lessoned the need for so much outsourcing of the Heavy Checks too....but we all know Bronner wants to be a big Hero in Bama after risking their money on U to start with.

The company as well as the IAM knew...if their were any real facts instead of rumors about PIT being closed before this last vote went out...PIT would have aligned with PHL in the NO catagory....and the IAM along with PIT would have been history with a stroke of the judges pen for all practical purposes,

The IAM Mechanic and Related NEVER voted on a contract in 1998, there was a T/A voted down in June of 99 and then a new T/A was reached and ratified in October of 99.

And 50 Utility would not does not make a differance in a vote when there are 2,000+ mechanics and only 50 utility and even if all utility were wiped out you still have stock clerks, planners, material services, QA, MOC and Tech Docs, around but mechanics outnumber every group.

And PIT Mtc is taking bigger hits then CLT so please explain how that is saving PIT when they layoffs of mechanics are double then CLT?

Phantom Fixer said:
While I agree that the IAM did everything possible to protect what they could of the so-called un-skilled labor side of the coin...I do not see how keeping the classification alive only in nominal numbers at base maintenance locations insures that AMFA couldn't come into play again at some point. The Mechanics have a clear numerical advantage as of this latest contract.

Phantom: as long as any furloughed employee [mech/utility] has recall rights they would be eligible to vote in any future AMFA/IAM elections. Over half of the mechanics and utility are now laid off, or will be soon. The possibility of getting their cooperation after they leave are slim and none.

BTW, neither stock clerks or fleet service are considered M&R, they are not eligible to vote in any AMFA/IAM election.

You are wrong, stock clerks at US Airways are on the mechanic and related contract, not fleet service.

The stock clerks at US were certified as mechanic and related by the National Mediation Board.

If they are part of the contract they get to vote in the election.

You are believing what AMFA tells you.

700UW said:
You are wrong,
[post="244967"][/post]​

But is he wrong about the furloughs and that they are part of the 50%+ that needed to sign cards in invoke an election?

Makes you wonder why utility were left on property

The IAM has changed the WILL STRIKE IF PROVOKED snake with a new mascot.
wheee...wheee!
Thanks Frank and the rest of the meatball mafia for a job well done.

Attachments

• beatty_1.jpg
    beatty_1.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 91
700UW said:
You are wrong, stock clerks at US Airways are on the mechanic and related contract, not fleet service.

The stock clerks at US were certified as mechanic and related by the National Mediation Board.

[post="244967"][/post]​

Read the post again! I never said fleet service was a part of M&R, I also never said that the stock clerks were not part of the M&R contract. What I did say was that stock clerks are not eligible voters in any AMFA/IAM election.

You said "The stock clerks at US were certified as mechanic and related by the National Mediation Board."

All I can say is that in 2002 they were not on the list of eligible voters! When were they certified? You seem so certain about this, do you have anything to back this statement up? Please! Don’t say trust me on this, because I don’t!

700UW said:

[post="244967"][/post]​

wrong again ,stock clerks,mco,planners,qa, are not part of mechanics, they will not vote on any union drive.

dont you ever get it right?

iam :down: :down:

umech said:
wrong again ,stock clerks,mco,planners,qa, are not part of mechanics, they will not vote on any union drive.

dont you ever get it right?

iam :down: :down:
[post="244993"][/post]​
why then do we have their language in the m&r contract???
and i hope you clowns get a card campain and the ensuing runoff....i GUARANTEE
you will not get enough participation to carry 50% + one.....and you boneheads will end up decertifying......
and you will be entitled to all the grief you have caused upon yourselves.... :shock:

Just like the the grief we are getting right now that we deserve, by keeping the IAM for this long......

Argue all you want, the bottom line is that so many people will be on lay-off, that there will be no vote for at least three years! At that point, assuming U stills flies, and we haven't lost more numbers, the members will be LONG past caring about their union!

Hence, no vote for AMFA. The IAM rules!

Latest posts