How Much Are You Worth?

Michael,

Lets have a whirl at your three points.

I don't know if U will outlast dave or not, but one can hope.

And you're entitled to choose your employer on whatever basis floats your boat. As am I.

Sounds like you're saying I'm part of the problem. Now before I tee off, I want to give you the opportunity to elaborate or clarify.

Diogenes,

I think more precisely, Michael is trying to make a case that if there is conflict, the company will flounder.

Unfortunately, he is implying that no matter the source of the conflict (sunspots, leprecauns, decaf, or an incompetent and dangerously agressive management team), the onus is on the employees to concede enough until the conflict abates. If employees cannot give unto management to the point at which said management is finally sated and stops thrashing about like spoiled children, then those employees need to get out of the way so others can offer themselves up to the ravenous maw of management.

Ummmmm.... No.

I realize a set this up pretty harshly, but seriously, it's what Michael (and some others) propose if pressed to its final conclusion. At what point is the sweatshop drive in our economy a bridge too far? Is there ever a point at which Michael and others think it is appropriate for people to dig in their heels and say No More!?

And put another way:

If not here, where?
If not now, when?
If not me, who?

In solidarity,
-Airlineorphan

Light Years. My sentiments exactly. It has always confounded me when I hear other F/A's happy that our loads were low. Many look up the loads before trips and write everyday down and their attitude for the day reflects upon how many we have on board each flight. They will come on the plane each day with an attitude if we are full. If we are light for the day or for a few legs they give off a big relief. I really wonder about the ones who quite often visit the lav's when boarding and deplanig. Recently I had a F/A (won't say) but she had been around AWHILE ;) who actually left her postion on the cart to come and sit on the jumpseat and take a break. I about flipped my lid. Altough I was loathe to make a comment as I may have gotten written up by her for the bid "D", if you know what I mean. <_<

I have always felt a full flight could mean prosperity. Yea, I may have to put forth a little more effort, but after all that is what I am here for. I am a people person. So I love it. :D

airlineorphan said:
I think more precisely, Michael is trying to make a case that if there is conflict, the company will flounder.
Yup. That pretty much sums it up.
Unfortunately, he is implying that no matter the source of the conflict (sunspots, leprecauns, decaf, or an incompetent and dangerously agressive management team), the onus is on the employees to concede enough until the conflict abates.
That may be what you infer, but it isn't what I'm implying. I believe that the success of US depends on a few factors, and absent any one of them we will not see the airline last much longer.

One factor is a revamping of business practices, pretty much from the ground up. US Airways spent much of the past 20 years running on a model of extracting monopoly rents from its hubs. That model became unsustainable with the combination of the elimination of slot control and the expansion of LCCs.

Another factor is a CEO that can affect this change on the organization.

The third factor is a group of employees willing to implement the changes.
If employees cannot give unto management to the point at which said management is finally sated and stops thrashing about like spoiled children, then those employees need to get out of the way so others can offer themselves up to the ravenous maw of management.
Well, that's certainly one way of looking at it. Not quite what I had in mind, though.

I realize a set this up pretty harshly, but seriously, it's what Michael (and some others) propose if pressed to its final conclusion. At what point is the sweatshop drive in our economy a bridge too far? Is there ever a point at which Michael and others think it is appropriate for people to dig in their heels and say No More!?
That's really what I'm trying to say. Of course you can dig your heels in and say "No More." But you don't have the power to fix the problem. Ultimately, you have two productive options of action. Either you agree with where the company is headed, and you want to be part of it, or you disagree with where the company is headed, and you don't want to be a part of it.

Corporations are not democracies. Rather, they are more fascist. Your power against the facism is the ability to leave, which is not something offered to most residents of fascist nations. You can try to make yourself heard, but ultimately the employees that face the customers aren't calling the shots.

Finally, I'd like to point out that labor, like anything else, is subject to the laws of supply and demand. I'm pretty sure that if US chose to pay pilots $5,000 per year, regardless of the equipment, they'd have a difficult time filling the seats. At $5,000,000 per year, they'd be turning people away every day. The goal should be to match the pay to the demand, in such a fashion as to ensure every position gets filled with people of sufficient quality, at as low a wage as possible.

Contrary to what many people believe, there is no such thing as a "right" to a living wage. The Constitution is silent on wages. The closest we have come as a nation is establishment of a minimum wage, with no guarantee of work. Those are the rules by which we live.

Ultimately, the answer to the question "How much am I worth [as an employee]?" is quite simple. I am worth whatever an employer is willing to pay me. It's negotiable, to be sure, but ultimately if my asking price is too high, I won't be hired. If their offer is too low, I won't accept the job.

Mrweiss: As someone mentioned earlier this week on the boards, if I were 18-21 years of age, just starting out in this big, old bad world, $10.00 an hour would sound really great. I know my daughter would think so, hell, she'd go for $7.00 an hour, that is what our children are facing. Sad but true. But those of us, who have lived the better part of our lives and trying to manage to find a way to get by when Social Security kicks in are facing a hideous delimma. Those in my shoes, anyway, have spent a life time of raising children, sacrificing, working hard to accomplish goals and a means to retire, when our poor legs don't want to go any further.

Now, we are being threatened and treated like children just starting out. Well, I am worth something. I have paid taxes all these years. I have invested in this countryand this company. I have helped others to have jobs and I have given my all so the passengers of USAirways come back and fly this company a 2nd time around.

I give my all ,as do others, with a smile, with a heart, with an ear and a helping hand so that the passengers who fly U will remember and choose to buy another ticket on this airline. We are all worth more than McDonald's wages. We have all given most of our life time to this company (our jobs). And here we are, the Baby Boomers, about to end up with nothing. Even Alan Greenspan thinks Social Security needs twixed. Hell, what is social securtiy to him when he retires, NOTHING.

I am sick of hearing we are only worth what the demand is for. I would hate to see where most of us would be today if our very own parents...the people who brought us all into this world....kept telling us from day one....YOU ARE WORTH NOTHING.

ktflyhome said:
I give my all ,as do others, with a smile, with a heart, with an ear and a helping hand so that the passengers who fly U will remember and choose to buy another ticket on this airline.
ktflyhome: The world would be a better place if everyone had the same positive attitude as you when it comes to customer service. :)

More Facts and Less Emotion. Thank You... Although I can barely stand to look at your Avitar. It is too Funny. I might pee my pants laughing at you. :up: :lol:

Airlineorphan,

Words couldn't be better conveyed. That is Weiss's agenda and management's goal. We can leave if we choose, and allow others to "offer themselves up " as sacrifice to managment's end.Devalue the employee so they feel worthless and take anything they can get and feel priviledged to have a job.

These folks make me sick who come on here and tell U employees that they should quit if we can't take the sacrificing. Just so they can keep their flying miles. :angry:

ktflyhome said:
More Facts and Less Emotion. Thank You... Although I can barely stand to look at your Avitar. It is too Funny. I might pee my pants laughing at you. :up: :lol:
I don't even watch Southpark, but I saw the movie. Funny.

Glad it made you laugh. :D :up:

PITbull said:
That is Weiss's agenda and management's goal.
My agenda? My goodness, you don't know the first thing about me, do you? I have no agenda. I'm simply sharing my opinion.

Look, I've spent far more of my life than perhaps I should have watching the airline industry. I've found it to be quite fascinating, and worth studying, because it is among the most complex industries in the world, with a wonderful and glorious history.

The closest thing I have to an agenda is a desire to see the airlines succeed. I was saddened by the demise of Braniff, Eastern, PanAm, and TWA. Great airlines, all, with wonderful histories. I was saddened to see PSA absorbed into USAir, not because I had much of an opinion of USAir (I didn't...honestly at the time I didn't really know much about the airline...I grew up in California), but rather because I loved the smiling planes and staff.

I don't want to see US Airways fail. I am horrified that you're in this untenable situation with a CEO that doesn't have a clue...after a long line of similar CEOs with similar cluelessness.

I also don't want to see you all making minimum wage. But let's be realistic. If there are thousands of people who are willing to do your job at half your wage, with an equal amount of enthusiasm, why shouldn't they be given the chance to do it? What makes you so special?

I don't want to make minimum wage either, and I probably won't. But there are no guarantees, and I'm going to have to work for as much money as I can get, hopefully doing something I love (and I'll bet you don't have the slightest clue what that might be...it's not what you think).

Latest posts