How Pilots Should Be Paid

Sisyphus

Nov 8, 2003
SATOPS recommends that 'Transport Canada investigate a means to require air operators to remunerate pilots in a way that eliminates the operating pressures associated with the method of payment.', the method of payment in question being flight pay for revenue hours. Here is an alternative.

The method of payment is hourly and pilots are paid for an 8 hour day and any overtime that is applicable. Statisitcs Canada reports that the average hourly wage for Trades, transport and equipment operators and related occupations is $18.34 per hour. Let us say that helicopter pilots are worth $30.00 per hour. A 40 hour week (about a 2000 hour year) would gross $1200.

According to the Canada Labour Code, hourly wage earners are entitled to overtime, so a pilot would be paid for 16 hours if he works a 14 hour day. If he works one hundred 14 hour days a year he is paid for 600 additional hours. This total of 2600 annual hours grosses the pilot $78,000 per year.

The Canada Labour Code also makes rules for payment of workers on holidays.

This works for contract pilots as well. If the employer is complelling the pilot to work a 14 hour day, the pilot will receive $480 for that day whether he flies or not. One hundred days work amounts to $48,000.

....and the companies apply for an exemption to the canada labour code, (since the operations are far different from any normal operating company), and the exemption is granted. Guess you're screwed, better get a 9-5 at McD's.

Pilots should be paid for time worked.

After almost 10years in the industry I still can't believe that we can sit around an office, clearcut, or airstrip for 14hrs, fly 2hrs and not get paid a lick of OT.

Of course, there are many issues with restructuring pay, but there should be some provision for extra hours worked. I know somebody's going to say something about the 8 hour days, but those are few and far between for most of us, and distributed around 12 months of work, it becomes relatively insignificant.

We all love the $500/day situation, but how many guys remember the $120 a day paychecks for sitting on a stump drinking coffee for 12+hours?

Of course, I haven't thought a workable system through, and anything the government implements will be crap... but there has to be some type of reform doesn't there? :D

AR

Truck drivers can wait around all day and still only get paid for what they drive - the way I handled it in the past was to charge per duty hour, and I didn't care whether i flew a helicopter or a computer - so even if I'm on standby or weathered out I still get paid.

Phil

This is year number thirteen for me in the wild world of aviation and the one thing that I can say for sure is that there is no way in Hades that I could re-enter normal society and become a 9 to 5 time card puncher. Scheduled lunch breaks, two fifteen minute coffee breaks... my, my, how exciting. Those of us who chose to do nothing but whine and complain should probably quit, the stress created by working at a job that you detest is very detrimental to a long and healthy life.

I consider myself very lucky to do something that I love to do, something I wanted to do from a very young age. I do get paid a comfortable wage and if I didn't think so I would do one of two things: quit, or find a higher paying position (logging, offshore IFR).

On Thursday morning last week I was crossing the Peace Arm and watching the sun light up the snow capped peaks of the Rockies, last time I checked McDonalds didn't offer those kind of field trips.

Nuff said, enjoy your day.

Well said GoldMember! I'm with you on this one.

I know for a fact that there are a lot of people in this industry that are happy and satisfied with their career choice. Whiners can look for a new career!

So "whiners" should find another career eh? If somebody doesn't step up to the plate to create some positive change, then who will?

To all of you old high-timers complaining about those of us who would like to promote change - you are like the frog that is put into a pot of cold water and slowly boiled to death because it can't sense the slow change in temperature. Perhaps we should listen to those who are relatively new to the flying game because maybe, just maybe, they have something construtive to say. Perspective is everything.

This cause in particular may not be one that has a positvie effect on the industry, but there are many others that do. All this bullshit about "that's the way it is" and "I paid my dues..." is just that - BS. There used to be segregation, male only votes, apartheid etc. That's just the way it was. Great... just great.

There are many issues with our industry, and I'm not saying I would do anything else, but there are changes that need to be made. The abuse of low-time pilots, engineer duty times etc. need attention. Who's going to do that? All I'm saying is, when someone proposes a change, hear them out and stop this protectionist bullshit that comes everytime we start one of these posts.

AR

Auto Relight,

I do not wish to enter into a mud-slinging contest with you or anyone else, but I have to say this; I'm not an old high timer and I'm not protectionist but I do believe that I'm well compensated for what I do. How much do you think your worth per annum? $100,000.00, $200,000.00? A good friend of mine said to me on the weekend "If the grass is greener on the other side of the fence, water your own grass." He's not an old high-timer either.

C'mon bleedvalve, don't bottle up your anger like that, it's not healthy. Let us simpltons know how you really feel.

bleedvalve,

Don't know who you are, don't know your situation but it must be pretty bad to cause you to lash out at everyone. I hope that you succeed in whatever your trying to do and get back to being satisfied with life.

Gold Memeber,

I do not wish to sling mud, now, or ever for that matter.

The actual number associated with compensation is not at the heart of the matter either. For me, flying is what I do because I enjoy it. I have worked very hard in this country and out, safely and competently for quite a number of years now, not as much as some, and more than others. In order for me to enjoy my job, I have to have a sense of self worth, worth to my employer, and the rspect of my co-workers and employers alike.

This is very difficult to achieve in Canadian aviation as we know it today. For every pilot who is being treated well, paid fairly for his or her services, and treated with respect, there are many others who endure very poor working conditions, pay, and treatment by co-workers and employers. Now don't get me wrong, this is definitely a two way street. Every employer has been shafted by an employee at some point. I have have been management and employee as well, so have seen things from both sides.

GM. This is not about the grass being greener on the other side. It's about watering our own as you say. To continue your metaphor, how do we water the grass without any water? Those poeple pushing for change, good or bad, provide that water. If you don't like the result - cut the grass, and try again.

Personally, I think unions are a slippery slope as I am the BIGGEST proponent of advancement by merit, but there must be some middle ground from where we currently sit. Companies that encourage pilots to break rules, low timer abuse, WAY under qualified people in managment positions, equitable pay, benefits, and job security are all issues facing out industryat the moment. These need to be addressed don't you think? How? Well that's why were're having this chat isn't it?

Bleedvalve. You may have some constructive things to say, and being newish to this forum, I'd like to hear them and hold no bias - can you cut the sarcasm for a bit?

AR

I guess if Bleedvalve would follow his own request #3, then we might have at least some sympathy for him. But since he can't seem to follow the very generalized statement of his own, I'll definately file anything from him in the "G" file.

Back