How to Best Answer the US Airways Demands!

PITbull,
How quickly you forget just how awful the old terminal was. PIT needed a new facility or it would have ceased to exist. I don't understand why yunz are all taking this so personally. PIT has a choice, either be a cost competitive airport or cease to exist as a hub. Same choice U has, either be a cost competitive airline or cease to exist. U is working toward that goal. PIT can either get on board or stand aside. WN or any other "low cost" carrier will not come to PIT until it becomes "low cost" too to support their cost structure. PIT must reorganize, maybe CH11 for airports?
Truthfully, PIT ain't that great a place.

People on this bulletin board love to talk in absolutes. As a relatively recent PIT resident (about ten years now) the way I read history is that there was a fork in the road in the old airport, just like we''ve had to deal with the stadiums, just like we''ve had to deal with the convention center, etc.

And at that fork in the road a decision had to be made, and that decision was heavily influenced by USAirways, as the stadiums were by the sports team (to hell with the voters), and so on and so forth. I do believe that a new airport had to be built at PIT, but without USAirways'' insistance I doubt it would have been so big. So Allegheny County took a gamble that USAirways would be able to build up the traffic here to sustain the airport, and USAirways took the gamble in taking up the debt.

Of course USAirways is now getting out of its gamble which is like backing out of a blackjack hand when you get dealt a 10-6 against a dealer ace upcard. Bad feelings all around but USAirways is doing what it has to do in the current environment. Hopefully ACAA and the State of Pennsylvania will be able to make the difficult decision, whatever it has to be.

Bad feelings all around but USAirways is doing what it has to do in the current environment.----------------------------------------------------------------
You are being polite here! U put the royal screwing to Allegheny County and PA all around, and while they were doing it they gave them the finger and lined the pockets of the top dogs. Every employee U has who is out of the upper power loop knows well the feelings of Mr. Roddey. Welcome to a new era of tyrannically corporate America with U leading the way. Where does it end short of a true revolution? Welfare for corporate America is not the answer because the system was not designed that way!
Yes, I work here Pit and I say let the chips fall where they may regardless.

I still don't understand why you are soooo upset about U reducing their costs at PIT. There are no sacred cows during these times. No matter what happens at PIT with U, PIT still must reduce their costs to be competitive PERIOD.
During the last few months to deal with lower earnings and expectations I have refinanced my home, sold my car and gotten a much cheaper "airport car", changed my daughters school, etc. PIT must do the same thing and face the new reality. This is a Wal-Mart economy, nobody makes what they perceive as their worth and nothing can be priced over its cost. It isn't U's fault, blame Wal-Mart.

This is a Wal-Mart economy, nobody makes what they perceive as their worth and nothing can be priced over its cost. It isn''t U''s fault, blame Wal-Mart.

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

Why do you think US is playing "hardball"? Cause they can!!!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will tell you what is TRULY amazing are comments such as these. Blame Wal-Mart, blame Wal-Mart! At the same time you change your life style and make no mention of the fact U’s top dogs were rewarded, and ARE being rewarded beyond an average man’s working life earnings exponentially doesn’t seem to outrage you or the average Joe and that is EXACTLY why this crap is happening.
Playing hard ball because they can, NO because we let them.
Rolling over to be kicked until they disable or even kill you then making excuses for such actions is called dysfunctional behavior.

----------------
On 4/28/2003 9:35:13 PM a320av8r wrote:

There was no way to refurbish the old terminal, it had been "reburbished" too many times. High costs at PIT are not US Airways problem, they are PIT''s problem. If PIT wants to be competitive they must address them and come up with long term solutions, not blame somebody else (although that is the American way). Airports, just like every other business, must be competitive to survive. I say let PIT "bring in" another carrier at these high costs. Who do you suggest? NationsAir, AirTrain,the new PanAm...?
It''s not your fight. Nothing you say or do will affect the outcome.

----------------​

Renndel can play hard ball too.

PHL is US Airways'' bread and butter..."If you want to keep Philly you have to take PIT" When Philly''s leases are up..."good bye US Airways..hello..Northwest or United or whomever. I don''t want to lose PIT either, but they don''t have all the balls in their court.

----------------
On 4/29/2003 7:55:42 AM a320av8r wrote:

I still don''t understand why you are soooo upset about U reducing their costs at PIT. There are no sacred cows during these times. No matter what happens at PIT with U, PIT still must reduce their costs to be competitive PERIOD.
During the last few months to deal with lower earnings and expectations I have refinanced my home, sold my car and gotten a much cheaper "airport car", changed my daughters school, etc. PIT must do the same thing and face the new reality. This is a Wal-Mart economy, nobody makes what they perceive as their worth and nothing can be priced over its cost. It isn''t U''s fault, blame Wal-Mart.

----------------​
Then how come the CEOs and Senior Execs. in the Corporate world are still making an UNREALISTIC amount of salaries bonsuses and perks? How come we as American Labor have to accept this new reality, but the Corporate Execs, don''t? Who is setting the rules...the rich? I say reality is what we allow. If you acquiesce to the demands of folks who you believe hold the power, then you will forever be at their mercy. And, you will continue to sell more than your cars and pulling your children out of schools.

From the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette April 23, 2003

If US Airways wants help in reducing its costs at Pittsburgh International Airport, U.S. Sen. Arlen Specter said yesterday, the airline needs to be honest about its plans and to commit to keeping Pittsburgh an operational hub.
"If we're going to go to the mat for them and we're going to see to it that they have breaks and concessions, then we think there ought to be some reciprocity,' Specter said after he accompanied U.S. Commerce Secretary Don Evans to a meeting of business leaders sponsored by the Greater Pittsburgh Chamber of Commerce.
The Pennsylvania Republican said there was "candidly, a lot of anger amongst us public officials as to what US Airways has done." He said "massive efforts" had been made on behalf of the airline regarding $900 million in federal loan guarantees and on pension and antitrust issues related to its failed merger with United Airlines.
"This may be a strong term, but I think it is accurate: I don't think US Airways was dealing in good faith with the men and women of this airline, or with the officials in Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, the state or federal government,' Specter said.
If US Airways wants help in reducing its costs at Pittsburgh International Airport, U.S. Sen. Arlen Specter said yesterday, the airline needs to be honest about its plans and to commit to keeping Pittsburgh an operational hub.
"If we're going to go to the mat for them and we're going to see to it that they have breaks and concessions, then we think there ought to be some reciprocity,' Specter said after he accompanied U.S. Commerce Secretary Don Evans to a meeting of business leaders sponsored by the Greater Pittsburgh Chamber of Commerce.
The Pennsylvania Republican said there was "candidly, a lot of anger amongst us public officials as to what US Airways has done." He said "massive efforts" had been made on behalf of the airline regarding $900 million in federal loan guarantees and on pension and antitrust issues related to its failed merger with United Airlines.
"This may be a strong term, but I think it is accurate: I don't think US Airways was dealing in good faith with the men and women of this airline, or with the officials in Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, the state or federal government,' Specter said.

Note to Dave S.:
Any time a politician questions your integrity,you're in trouble!

----------------
On 4/29/2003 1:55:09 PM Mike W wrote:

From the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette April 23, 2003

"If we''re going to go to the mat for them and we''re going to see to it that they have breaks and concessions, then we think there ought to be some reciprocity,'' Specter said after he accompanied U.S. Commerce Secretary Don Evans to a meeting of business leaders sponsored by the Greater Pittsburgh Chamber of Commerce.
"This may be a strong term, but I think it is accurate: I don''t think US Airways was dealing in good faith with the men and women of this airline, or with the officials in Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, the state or federal government,'' Specter said.
"If we''re going to go to the mat for them and we''re going to see to it that they have breaks and concessions, then we think there ought to be some reciprocity,'' Specter said after he accompanied U.S. Commerce Secretary Don Evans to a meeting of business leaders sponsored by the Greater Pittsburgh Chamber of Commerce.
"This may be a strong term, but I think it is accurate: I don''t think US Airways was dealing in good faith with the men and women of this airline, or with the officials in Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, the state or federal government,'' Specter said.

Note to Dave S.:
Any time a politician questions your integrity,you''re in trouble!

----------------​
Wow...I missed that article. Where was I that morning.... Thanks for sharing this. God Bless PA for waking up!

Sounds like the company may want the PA and Fed government to jump through several "hoops of fire" and then the company do what they were intending to do from the beginning.

--Father always said "there is one thing in life you can never buy and that is your reputation. But you may never know when you are going to need to cash in on it." Sounds like some executive may have spent his already.

PITbull,
My darker side makes me wish that PA would tell the Daves to go take a hike but I also realize that there are too many of us on the street already.I''m just tired of the continued strong arming that this management team seems to feel very comfortable with.Just another case of the "same ''ol,same ''ol." Or "meet the new boss,same as the old boss."