How's The Operation Running?

networking

Advanced
Sep 1, 2002
O.K. I am having a hard time understanding how the company is focusing on what is going to happen in February when this is what we are observing:

1. Employee morale at an all time low. This is affecting what the passengers see every day on the front line. Employees in tears, worried about how they are going to pay bills.

2. In my area one of our vendors (the only one who will deliver bags) is doing a decent job. The cost has increased over the previous one who got stiffed. The problem is they have not received any money yet. What happens if the check is late? No one to deliver bags. We had a passenger last night who said he could not find any cabbie in another city to take his voucher. I heard rumors that some stations did not have ice. (The ice companies got stiffed.)

3. Increased baggage claims over the weekend. I observed 300 plus bag claims in PHL just last night.

4. Customers saying the website has been kicking them off.

5. Crews staying in a low-end hotel. Seems the nice one where they used to stay got stiffed.

I could go on and on with problems we are seeing every day. Not to mention the passengers have gotten very angry with the employees when they experience a problem of any kind. I mean angry enough where police need to be called on a regular basis. They fly off the handle so quickly now it is very unnerving.
Forcing the salaries down 21% was a bad business move. It is a classic example of the old saying "Cutting your nose off in spite of your face". There could have been another way. The unions did try and negotiate in good faith, but the company wanted this. Now here are the results.

It will be interesting to say the least to get the employees take on how operations for the next week go and the companies take on it. Wanna bet it will be 180 degrees of differance????

USAirways management has had years to fix this place, and they fiddled while Rome burned. Now we are witnessing the results of their malfeasance and nonfeasance. Sadly, only the customers and employees must face each other with the tragic circumstances. Management, as always, is comfortably insulated from the results of their deeds. In fact, they will likely again be handsomely rewarded for destroying this company.

America: What a Country!

To see how bad it really is, just look at the station delays out of PHL on FRI, SAT, and SUN. It is too sad for words. The Sabre entry in DECS....
djd 15 (date) all phl
or just look at the ramp/cargo delays...."djd 16 cg phl"
It's unbelievable.

dbcooper said:
To see how bad it really is, just look at the station delays out of PHL on FRI, SAT, and SUN. It is too sad for words. The Sabre entry in DECS....
djd 15 (date) all phl
or just look at the ramp/cargo delays...."djd 16 cg phl"
It's unbelievable.
[post="192428"][/post]​

well i cant blame the employees or doing just what they did and making the flts late. however at least it is 15.76 or something of that nature that they will be able to handle a lot easier than those of us in the poorly expressed mainline cities.

hey how about this one....
an 8am flight is delayed until 1155am due to crew rest.. ok 1015am delayed until1155 now you have 2 clt flights trying to leave at the same time... but low and behold.. can't get the captain and fo to answer their phones.. now this is the 800am
crew .......so all the conxs are blown.... especially the nassau ones...

so you try to get as many of these conx on the plane that is going to leave first...

(and clt tower says that they can not justify holding the plane for 20 mintues for 10 people ten ........ the same ten people who paid for their tickets... (go figure)

now i haven't moved one inch from the podium at the gate because i have to rebook the other ten people who are going to miss boarding their cruise...

and a clt sup calls to ream me.. because i hadn't rebooked the 10 that missed their
flight to nassau (now lets not forget that clt wouldn't hold the plane (and they did not have a full flight....(and no less this is a saturday) and the last flt from clt to nassau no less.... all other airlines in this mainline express city are booked even fulller......

anyway the clt sup continues to tell him how embaressed he is to work for this company and have to deal with this crap....and that we are not taking care of the customers...... and that our station should have rebooked these people who are now in his face,,, all because they would not hold this friggin plane...(now don't foget we are working very short handed... try mandatorying these people who have already been putting up withthis crap all morning.)... hhaha i want to see the supvr do this ,,haha

meanwhile back at the ranch.,.... the captain and first officer somehow are found....and we may have a takeoff time of arnd 2pm.... (if we are lucky)....

arnd 245pm the capt and fo mosey up to the gate and want to know how many he's flying on this plane.....(i wanted to punch him in his face...)
meanwhile i finally find a way to get the 10 people who missed their cruise to meetup with it....(which by the way costed us a hellava lot more then they might have wanted to pay.... :down:

so how was your day??????? :down:

The traveling public has so many options nowadays that those 10 and probably many more will never come back.
Way to go U....... destroy employee morale and treat the passengers like dirt.
Now that's what I call a transformation plan.........It's working !!!!!!!!!

In DCA the cabs still take our vouchers , but most of the hotels do not .Employee morale stinks. All people do is sit around and complain which just exacerbates things. Local mgmt will readily leave inbound connections behind for the sake of on time performance , especially if an alternate can be found. Even if the arrival is after their cruise ship leaves , after all we got them to their destination. :(

crusher said:
In DCA the cabs still take our vouchers , but most of the hotels do not .Employee morale stinks. All people do is sit around and complain which just exacerbates things. Local mgmt will readily leave inbound connections behind for the sake of on time performance , especially if an alternate can be found. Even if the arrival is after their cruise ship leaves , after all we got them to their destination. :(
[post="192550"][/post]​

My experience this weekend was fine, no problems.

BTW, if you're cutting your flights so close that a single busted connection will force you to miss a cruise, you are a moron. Most folks cushion in 6 to 8 hours of time before a cruise or even fly in the night before.

totobird said:
The traveling public has so many options nowadays that those 10 and probably many more will never come back.
Way to go U....... destroy employee morale and treat the passengers like dirt.
Now that's what I call a transformation plan.........It's working !!!!!!!!!
[post="192542"][/post]​

T/A has some very big hurtles to jump one example of many:

"Our members are very, very upset," said Chris Fox, local president of the Communications Workers of America. "They all want us to do something."

Unfortunately , the way FLA flights are scheduled from DCA. after the 830 -900 sb bank there is nothing else to FLA until 1400 with arrivals of 1630 , which causes the missed cruises. You might get lucky sometimes and are able to find protection thru PHL or CLT but on a weekend that is a rare occurence.

ITRADE said:
My experience this weekend was fine, no problems.

BTW, if you're cutting your flights so close that a single busted connection will force you to miss a cruise, you are a moron. Most folks cushion in 6 to 8 hours of time before a cruise or even fly in the night before.
[post="192554"][/post]​

False, People do NOT do that. Not with cruises, weddings, or funerals. It is unfortunate.

ITRADE said:
[post="192554"][/post]​

Oh, just how do you swing so much weight with the cruise companies that they book your flights according to your preferences rather than according to the contracts they have with the airlines? I have been going on cruises for almost 30 years. The only time a cruise line ever booked me and my wife into the port city the night before was when they had no other choice.

And, don't tell me you can get a better price from the airline yourself than the cruise company does. On my last cruise my air ticket (booked by the cruise line) stated the fare was $150.00 IAH-SJU with an ACA-IAH return leg.

The cruise line does not want you hanging around the cruise terminal the morning of departure while they are trying to get the inbound passengers debarked and cleared through Customs and the ship cleaned and prepared for you and the rest of the outbound passengers.

Anybody booking a cruise should absolutely go in the night before. Anybody with a little travel savvy knows that. Then again, as US moves into the LCC abyss the dumb travel crowd will be more noticeable.