The Company Asking For Volunteers

Res

Senior
Aug 20, 2002
Could they use volunteers to answer some baggage calls, especially in regards to bags that need to be rerouted/because passengers are returning home without bags.....some atos have given out their baggage local numbers but no one answers, this frustrates an already angry passenger even more.

We also need in res some idea of delivery expectations, we can see the bag is set up for delivery but how long at major locations to be delivered...?

Res said:
Could they use volunteers to answer some baggage calls, especially in regards to bags that need to be rerouted/because passengers are returning home without bags.....some atos have given out their baggage local numbers but no one answers, this frustrates an already angry passenger even more.

We also need in res some idea of delivery expectations, we can see the bag is set up for delivery but how long at major locations to be delivered...?
[post="233753"][/post]​

Really I couldn't agree more- why are the res supervisors going to Philly to hand out doughnuts when they could go to the baggage office at RIDC and help answer the phone. And forget about handing out doughtnuts- these baggage claims ( many many people without bags since 12/23) and there is no update whatsover. We have open claims where bags have already been delivered, closed claims where no one got a bag etc. And the DRS to res has been awful- no one knows what to tell these passengers other than- "we don't know where your bag is- sorry".

Last Sunday ( I think, the days have run together), Management came around with sodas, peanuts and cookies to thank us for being at work. Most of management are former res agents, and could have showed more support by grabbing a headset and helping to answer some calls. But they chose to had out a cup of soda, peanuts, etc. Leading by example has never been the norm at US Airways. The supervisors should still be able to handle the phones, since they monitor the reps both by phone and the screen.. As they tell us with CARE, it is easy... put your money where your mouth is... It will never happen here. .. Pity, they could have boosted moral by 1000% by donning the headset and plugging in...even if it was only for an hour.

I've heard stories that mgmt at res couldn't do the job if it were necessary to pitch in. noname, could you confirm or deny this??

Just about every speciality area in res has a lot of their folks getting baggage status calls only. Now the folks who went to see family for Christmas and still have not gotten their bags and are now returning home want U to foward bags back to their orginial destination and pay to ship the Christmas presents back to their family.

The computer will not allow res agents to put remarks if claim was not put in correctly. It is amazing that any claims are files correctly because of the shear number of them. Res has to call CSD and have them add any remarks. It is hard to believe that we are back to normal. I agree that management could be taught to read the bag claim and help the pax by helping with these calls. Does anyone believe that this would happen. Is there a word in your language for FAT CHANCE.

Management cant pick up head sets in res, 'cos of CWA, it's call demarcation.

However, most management have been off the phones so long they wouldnt know how to handle a call, like most organisations their skills are in managing - not knowing the job, that is not a requirement. They have CSD people to do that.

jimcfs said:
I've heard stories that mgmt at res couldn't do the job if it were necessary to pitch in. noname, could you confirm or deny this??
[post="234020"][/post]​
Most couldn't do the job when it was much simpler, that's why they got promoted;)

reznc said:
Management cant pick up head sets in res, 'cos of CWA, it's call demarcation.

However, most management have been off the phones so long they wouldnt know how to handle a call, like most organisations their skills are in managing - not knowing the job, that is not a requirement. They have CSD people to do that.
[post="234218"][/post]​

If they can't sit down and do the job, how do they monitor it? Where is the quality assurrance?
Sure they can tell a sale was made or not, or if the agent had inappropriate call work, but they are not competent enough to tell if a pnr is set up correctly. Nor do they even look for that. And that is the whole problem in res...the focus on quantity, not quality.
There is far too much time spent by res agent "fixing" the mistakes of others.
Res revamped its whole setup years ago, and had a quality assurance team, which seemed like a good idea. That has gone to the wayside and the sole purpose of the supervisor seems to be to keep people in their seats and on a call. Doesn't matter how sloppy the work is as long as you get a booking and get it quick, and be available for the next call asap..

Management couldn't find their ass with both hands and a map. I had a supe admit he had NO computer experience and was an agent for two months before being made a supervisor. They don't know our jobs; heck they don't even know their own. They are paper pushers with a very narrow field of vision, mostly concentrated on making employees even more miserable than they already are. Collectively, they have the intelligence of a kumquat. Case in point: I get a memo about my job performance. After 14 years with the company, my name is misspelled. The memo doesn't contain a single full sentence and has 8 typos (anyone ever hear of spellcheck?). And this person is telling ME I need to improve? Uh huh...sure. And we wonder why we're sinking....

We have a sup in INT that actually could take calls, she's somewhat junior to the others...although she's one of the few. She does try to assist if able, and understands things from the employees perspective..or at least makes the effort to try. Although she does expect the mutual respect in turn, we have a job to do and so does she....so just do your best. Most of us respect her for that attitude. She realizes we are adults and treats us as such.

Back