HP CSR Contract Negotiations

All of this BS would be moot if all were under one union, DOH prevailing. I believe the airport should be under one contract, with one seniority date. I have personally spent 17 years on the ramp, and got stuck in CS. Not by choice. I bid over people that have more time than I in CS. Now a guy hired yesterday for the ramp would have seniority over me. It boggles the mind.

This is the latest CWA mailing. If you want to get on their mailing list (might be a good idea since you could be getting info the IBT hasnt sent out yet), you can go to cwa.net and sign up to get their briefings mailed to you.

PLEASE POST AND DISTRIBUTE TO YOUR CO-WORKERS
Additional stories are on www.CWA.net

2-17-2006

CWA’ers, IBT and management met for three days to discuss transition of the America West employees into the CWA US Airways contract...
Meetings took place at CWA Headquarters in Washington DC on January 9-11. US Airways agents were represented by CWA local presidents John Hanson (1171), Betty Grove (4404), Jim Drummond (13302), Barbara Tobin (13301), Sean Linehan and Frank Spencer (2252), Vonda Hardy (3640), Jimmy Chastain (3641), John Tyler (3140), and Vickie Di Paolo (9400 local officer), CWA Attorney Nick Manicone and CWA Staff Velvet Hawthorne, Tim Yost and Rick Braswell.
Management was represented by VP Al Hemenway and by attorneys and senior management from labor relations, operations, customer service and reservations.
IBT was represented by their negotiating committee members and staff.
Each day the sessions were in two parts: 1) face-to-face meetings with management to discuss what parts of the contract, if any, need to be phased in due to difficulties adapting America West operating procedures to the US Airways collective bargaining contract and; 2) caucus meetings between CWA and IBT committees in which the CWA’ers explained the contract provisions and trained the IBT committee in its practical application.
Management stated that they believe very little of the contract needs to be phased-in and that they don’t foresee many, or any, difficulties or delays in applying the total contract to America West operations.
On the union side, we told management we will take the opportunity of these discussions to propose improvements in a couple of areas – notably swaps – where we have been trying to make increases for some time. There may be other proposals we want to make if there are opportunities, but we are unwilling to open the contract for full Section 6 negotiations. That means any changes would have to be minor and subject to a Letter of Understanding.
Management then began a discussion of the issue of lack of uniform seniority policies at America West. They pointed out that over the years various stations have used various policies to adjust America West hire-date for transfers, for leaves of absence, for quit and rehire, and for union represented employees (ramp for example) transferring into America West passenger service.
In spite of those inconsistent past policies at America West, there is now a single hire-date seniority list for all America West locations. However, IBT representatives at the meeting said they intend to go back and try to re-adjust that list for inconsistent policies used in the past. Management stated that if America West employees’ seniority relative to each other is adjusted at this point it may cause conflict among those employees. IBT representative said they would take responsibility for that.
The CWA US Airways Passenger Service seniority list is not affected by the issues described above because our seniority list is well established and described in the contract.
On Tuesday, CWA National President Larry Cohen joined our CWA/IBT caucus meeting and led a discussion of the airline industry and the situation at US Airways. These are some of the points made in that discussion:

Two rounds of concession bargaining has been very tough, but we have emerged with what is still one of the best pay scale / job protection contracts in the industry.
We will regain most of our concession through snap-back language at the end of our contract term, but we should use every negotiating opportunity to try to regain them earlier.
The industry is still in a major consolidation mode (Independence Air liquidation; Continental/United merger rumors; three majors in bankruptcy).
US Airways is stabilized for now, and in fact looks like one of the best capitalized ($3b) and well-positioned airlines with its new east + west structure.
We should use our contract to press hard on a couple of major issues affecting agents at this airline and the whole industry: outsourcing and understaffing. The key to this effort will be a focus on the value that customer contact employees bring to the company.
To be successful in any of these efforts we will have to quickly build up our unity and solidarity within the CWA/IBT Association.
The Association now represents all US Airways passenger service employees – no matter if they are former US Airways or former America West. We are all one group now and we need strategies in common for the good of all agents.
The first and most obvious goal was to bring the America West employees up to US Airways pay levels – this is more than a $5 an hour gain and it is unprecedented in the industry. The fact that we also made gains for US Airways agents in the process is remarkable in this industry environment.
CWA is very optimistic about this US Airways passenger service group, and this new alliance. We are going to put a lot of effort and resources into making it work well for the agents of US Airways. (We also represent the combined US Airways / America West Flight Attendant workgroup. AFA is part of CWA).
The meeting adjourned on Thursday. Management committed to give us, in advance of our next meeting, a list of proposals and issues they think need to be addressed in order for the America West employees to be transitioned into the contract. They implied the list will be short. Any issues of transition that are not resolved will be submitted to an arbitrator for final resolution. We’ll keep you informed of any further meetings.
CWA Local Officers and Staff

Thanks tadjr. Any idea what issues need to be adressed to be transitoned into the contract. I am going to be attending IBT meetings this week and know several agents have various issues they feel strongly about. West side will need to vote this contract in. Any feel for when they think it will be up for a vote?

PQA, I am attending tomorrow am. Please post questions you have asked and the answers. I am curious if we will receive the same answers. Btw, my mouthy one, I will be the mouthy one tomorrow!

Vote it in? I got the impression someone uncut our voting rights by agreeing to this contract crap. That is what I'll be at the meeting tonight looking to find out about. You wont miss me, I'm the mouthy one! haha

I'm attending tomorrows meetings. However, I agree...where are our voting rights??? I was told by a steward that the "interim agreement" wasn't that we were under the CWA contract...now terminology seems to have changed and the "transition into CWA contract" is coming out...this seems extremely sneaky on the union parts if you ask me...again, why am I being forced into a contract I never voted on??? I believe we should ALL have to get a new contract and VOTE on the new contract, period! After all, we are now a "NEW" company per management..just keeping name only. So, this will be one of my questions tomorrow, unless someone on here asks today.

ANYONE AT MEETINGS TODAY, PLEASE REPORT HERE FOR UPDATES SO WE ARENT REPEATING QUESTIONS TOMORROW. THX

I actually encourage folks to repeat questions to the union at different meetings just for the same reason mama stated above, I'm interested to know if we will get the same answers....I have a sinking feeling, we won't.

btw, another one big on my list, even tho I barely trade, is this crap about 20trades per quarter, and part timers working 5days/week...wtf is the point of being part time then? I mean, gas ain't cheap my friend!!

I actually encourage folks to repeat questions to the union at different meetings just for the same reason mama stated above, I'm interested to know if we will get the same answers....I have a sinking feeling, we won't.

btw, another one big on my list, even tho I barely trade, is this crap about 20trades per quarter, and part timers working 5days/week...wtf is the point of being part time then? I mean, gas ain't cheap my friend!!
they are making it out like the stations are responsible for the inconsistnecies in the senioriy issue...not so it has ALWAYS been common knowledge that if you transfer from ramp to csr then you lose your seniority...manaagement knows this you guys!!! ANy transfer involves HR...your telling me HR did noit know or failed to tell these stations that are affected? One person alone can affect 500 employee's integration/seniority date--trust me, I counted our one person...Who voted--lol--that it is now ok for a 3 yr csr who has a higher company date of hire to surpasss a 9 yr csr...? Yes they have been with the CO longer but they CHOSE to transfer...what a crock...
The trades are a hot issue all over and I hope judging by the email I recieved from a negotiator in PHX that they have not already decided that its' "not too bad"...that is what the jist of the email states...anyone wants to see it PM me and I will email it to you....