Hp It Policy

Aug 20, 2002
www.usaviation.com
Just curious what HP's policy is on employee access to e-mail and the web. Some younger airlines have fairly modern policies. For example, at ACA/Fly I every employee has a company e-mail address and is required to check it on a weekly basis since this is how the company communicates with its staff. No $0.37 a pop for postage (plus printing costs) every time the company sends something out.

There is also web access at most work stations. Not sure how restricted the capability is (weather and flight tracking websites are one thing but something like espn or ticketmaster - or usaviation!) are another. I understand that B6's IT policy is similar.

At US, usually only supervisors and above have e-mail and only higher ranking managers have web access. We all know that web access can be a horrible time waster, but is also an important tool.

A supervisor in CLT once told me that some very short haul express flights don't get above 10,000 feet, so the crew can't call out/off times in until they have landed. (Many express aircraft don't have ACARS) Her solution: call her husband and have him check on a flight tracking webstite. An agent an express station goes to the airport information booth where the very nice lady working there can get more timely and accurate flight information than can be found in SABRE. He also has her print out the flow control delays from the FAA website; he finds that it can help explain delays to customers.

Although HP is not as young as DH or B6, does it have a more enlightened (or less luddite) attitude to front line employee access to e-mail and the web?

Dont call me Shirley said:
Although HP is not as young as DH or B6, does it have a more enlightened (or less luddite) attitude to front line employee access to e-mail and the web?
[post="283573"][/post]​

No. And you want to know something? I've seen front-line employees given access to the web and guess what? They miss flights and all the other terrible things one would expect. :down: