Hurricane Sandy / "Frakenstorm"

It's going to be interesting as the carriers try to get back on track...
http://www.nytimes.c...g.html?src=recg

ON THE ROAD

Lean Airlines in Poor Shape to Handle Passenger Backlog

By JOE SHARKEY

AIR travelers have probably already figured this out, but I’m going to say it anyway: They are facing days of frustration as disruptions from the virtual shutdown of the air travel system in the Northeast ripple out nationally and the airlines struggle to put the pieces back together

I have to wonder why all DCA flights were cancelled for the entire day today (Tuesday). DL and UA started operating this afternoon, with DL looking like it's operating flights from all of its hubs.

Reactions: 1 person
Having had firsthand experience with an evacuation and returning to find your neighborhood laid to waste I can honestly say it's nothing I'd ever wish on anybody. For those devastated, displaced and delayed by Sandy I wish you all the best and a quick return to normalcy. Destruction is hard to deal with, but it can reveal blessings you never knew you had, and from it astonishing things can grow. I am looking forward to the day that the NE is back and stronger than ever. Keep heart.

Reactions: 2 people
How US Airways is coping with the effects of Sandy

"The East Coast is struggling to deal with the effects of Hurricane Sandy. And one of the major impacts has involved air transportation. Airports are closed, flights being canceled throughout the northeast.

KJZZ's Dennis Lambert was joined by Robert Isom, Chief Operating Officer of Tempe-based US Airways, to discuss the issue."

Audio

• Latest update from Tempe: "LGA/EWR/JFK/ISP/HVN Ops Remain Suspended
    While we are pleased to report that PHL/BOS/DCA and other Northeast cities are back up and running serving
    our customers, US Airways operations in the New York City area remain shuttered until at least Friday for LGA
    and tomorrow for EWR/JFK. With that said, we want to caution employees (and customers) that this is still far
    from definitive, as a lot of clean-up up work remains at these airports".
  • From what I have seen on the news, it may optimistic to hope for LGA to resume flights on Friday. The water is receding, but there is extensive damage to the airport's infrastructure.

Port Authority Twitter feed:https://twitter.com/NY_NJairports