I love Wal-mart

Leto2

Advanced
Oct 6, 2006
Arizona
www.aircraftguru.com
I saw this story about John Edwards' aid looking to purchase a PS3 from Wal-mart, and it reminded me how much I love Wal-mart and how stupid I think it is that there are so many people that hate it.

The first reason I love Wal-mart is their low prices. Many times I have bought something at one store, and then realized I could have saved a significant amount if I had just gone to Wal-mart with little or no sacrifice of quality. Examples of this include a Micro SD chip for my phone (same brand was 33% cheaper at Wal-mart), fabric for my wife (her sewing teacher in college told the students that Wal-mart fabric was cheap, but when my wife brought some to class the teacher loved it), groceries, a joystick, oil change, etc. Groceries are especially a great deal now that Wal-mart will do price-matching for sales at other stores.
I think that Wal-mart has saved me hundreds of dollars over the years.

I love Wal-mart because it's one-stop shopping. I don't have to go to 3 stores, just one, and the prices are generally better.

I love Wal-mart because it provides jobs for older people. People get payed to greet! And they're usually old and couldn't get a job anywhere else. Wal-mart allows them to contribute a bit to society.

I love Wal-mart because of their return policy. I have yet to see a store with a return policy as good as Wal-marts. I've taken stuff back that I couldn't believe they would take. We bought 2-way radios once and after about a month one of them stopped working. They took them back no questions asked--no receipt or packaging. When my wife and I got married and were trying to return duplicate wedding gifts, I learned to love Wal-mart and hate Target for this reason.

Some people are worried that Wal-mart destroys Mom n' Pop stores. I personally don't care for them. I guess most people don't care for them, otherwise they wouldn't go out of business. Why pay more money for less selection? I think that Wal-mart more than compensates any jobs that are lost when another store goes out of business.

I've had friends that worked at Wal-mart and they had no complaints, so I don't buy the health-care coverage and other reasons that people cite for hating Wal-mart. I think that they treat their employees fine.

Anyways, I just think it's stupid when wealthy politicians like John Edwards take shots at Wal-mart. He made his millions as a trial lawyer, I don't think he has room to talk.

We watch our pennies. Hell, I work for AA in Crew skd. Not like I am rich. My wife likes to go there because it will save a few dollars here and there and in this day and age, that’s a good thing. Having said that I will not shop there. I do not agree with what I perceive to be their predatory tactics. It seems they go into an area, ad do to their pricing advantage, they shut down all the mom and pops. They tend to hire part time so they do not have to pay out any benefits. I guess it depends on the are but it seems the ones I have been in have a, oh how shall I say this, interesting mix of patrons. Never seen so many people in PJ’s, house shoes and rollers in one place.

I just don’t care for them. I would rather pay a few extra dollars sometimes and support a franchise that I can stomach a bit more.

I will grant that they are a very successful franchise. They seem to be fairly adept in their business practices.

Here's some reasons why I don't like Walmart:

They have caused quality to drop everywhere. Vendors clamor to get into Walmart, and if their product is halfway popular, Walmart tells them how much they will pay for it. It's the vendor's problem on how they make a profit at that price. The result is cheaper components, or sending the job overseas to cut labor costs. The net result is that while while I might have spent $25 somewhere else for something that lasts 2 years, I can now spend $15 for that same thing that lasts 2 months. And because companies can't afford to run two factories, one producing the quality goods, and the other producing the Walmart goods, then everybody gets the shoddy stuff. So then, yeah, you get a great bargain paying less at Walmart, because it's going to break within a couple of months regardless of where you bought it.

While Walmart prides themselves on offering "11 different choices for health care", a whole lot of their employees opt for the low end option - your public health department. So - your tax dollars are going to support Walmart employees health care, as the "low end" versions don't cover small things like...pregnancies or immunizations.

Their return policy is just another added cost that their vendors have to shoulder...all they do is just short the amount of total returns on the next invoice from the vendor. It's great when a consumer, who is pissed off at Target or any other store that requires a receipt, takes it to Walmart with no packaging or receipts and gets a refund. The vendor will just get shorted. What they hey...he'll just have to lay off one more worker. It's funny to me how the crowd who preaches "personal responsiblity" really doesn't see that holding on to a receipt is an extension of someone's personal reponsiblity, but they love the heck out of Walmart for taking stuff back...even stuff that wasn't bought there.

I must say KC conveys my sentiments as well...Wow we actually agree on something there old man. :D

I would just like to add one other thing, walmart has not always been on the up-n-up about its hiring practices regarding Illegal aliens. Though none worked directly in the stores as walmart employees (that we know of), the cleaning contractors used by walmart were found to be in violation and an investigation discovered some walmart executives were privy to the practice.

http://money.cnn.com/2003/10/23/news/compa...worker_arrests/

Ok, Im now ready for my ch.12 style bashing for my bigoted, racist, hate mongering remarks. :rolleyes:

I must say KC conveys my sentiments as well...Wow we actually agree on something there old man. :D

I would just like to add one other thing, walmart has not always been on the up-n-up about its hiring practices regarding Illegal aliens. Though none worked directly in the stores as walmart employees (that we know of), the cleaning contractors used by walmart were found to be in violation and an investigation discovered some walmart executives were privy to the practice.

http://money.cnn.com/2003/10/23/news/compa...worker_arrests/

Ok, Im now ready for my ch.12 style bashing for my bigoted, racist, hate mongering remarks. :rolleyes:
See...you're coming around ;)

...and just when I thought you were finally seeing things my way. :p

Very good post BTW!
All have been good posts and all are valid reasons. I don't shop there since I joined a Members Club Warehouse thing and it's even cheaper. Of course you buy in Bulk but that works for me. As for Wal-Mart hiring, yes, I have seen that as well but, I wonder how many Hotel Chains have Illegal Aliens cleaning the rooms each day. I know when I travel I'm glad I can speak some Spanish so I can get over my alloted quota of 2 sugar packs and 1 creamer for 4 cups of coffee. My sister has worked at Wal-Mart over 20 years and is loyal, not because they are anything special but, they have kept her employed, she has Bene's that help get her by and an ability to sock away some $$$ for her retirement. I guess we could pick on any chain.... General Dollar Store next on the agenda?

I detest big shopping centers with all the congestion they have...parking etc. I don't find their stuff demonstrably less costly...and..I don't buy stuff by the pallet load, and so it's doubtful that I'll realize any economies of scale savings; and I'm not going to wander a store with the floor space area bigger than Luxombourg for a toothbrush and some dental floss...with the reward of long waits in line. Fark That

Though I'm somewhat rabidly populist/egalitarian I do find, as others have noted, their clientele to be largely those who show their arses to the world with no apparrent blanching; although this does provide me with an immense feeling of relative self pride...actually I feel like some uber "beautiful person" by comparison: It may be therapeudic after all.

All that said, shopping a big-box is sometimes unavoidable. I find Target much better ( and less congested near me ). Costco beats the snot out of Wal-Mart at their own game and is a responsible employer to boot...much to the black hatters of Wall Street's dismay, so if I need to go big-box, it's Costco, then Target.

Pithy read if anyone cares: http://www.laborresearch.org/print.php?id=391

Though I'm somewhat rabidly populist/egalitarian I do find, as others have noted, their clientele to be largely those who show their arses to the world with no apparrent blanching; although this does provide me with an immense feeling of relative self pride...actually I feel like some uber "beautiful person" by comparison: It may be therapeudic after all.
Walmart is making a bigger push into the suburbs, although the announcement of a new store is met with "not in my backyard" protests, they usually prevail, and the neighbors who protested it will shop there.

Costco beats the snot out of Wal-Mart at their own game and is a responsible employer to boot...much to the black hatters of Wall Street's dismay,
I recall reading that Wall Street was critical of Costco because while they were profitable, they could be even MORE profitable if they weren't "generous with employee pay and benefits". Heckuva thing...be "generous" with employee pay and benefits and show a profit. You'd think Wall Street would be thrilled, but then, most on Wall Street feel that the million bucks a year they make is "less than generous". , so they tend to lose sight that the average American family doesn't make anywhere near a million a year.

I recall reading that Wall Street was critical of Costco because while they were profitable, they could be even MORE profitable if they weren't "generous with employee pay and benefits". Heckuva thing...be "generous" with employee pay and benefits and show a profit. You'd think Wall Street would be thrilled, but then, most on Wall Street feel that the million bucks a year they make is "less than generous". , so they tend to lose sight that the average American family doesn't make anywhere near a million a year.

My point exactly. Better for the economy overall...consumers being nourished as they spend. Henry Ford had it right. ( I'm more a Keynesian...Adam Smith is ( was ) a jerk...flame-bait barb intended!!! ) Good wedge issue. Wall St ( et al ) will cry crocodile tears for the average joe to get their way...and when they have, will tell him to jump in a lake.

Here's some reasons why I don't like Walmart:

They have caused quality to drop everywhere. Vendors clamor to get into Walmart, and if their product is halfway popular, Walmart tells them how much they will pay for it. It's the vendor's problem on how they make a profit at that price. The result is cheaper components, or sending the job overseas to cut labor costs. The net result is that while while I might have spent $25 somewhere else for something that lasts 2 years, I can now spend $15 for that same thing that lasts 2 months. And because companies can't afford to run two factories, one producing the quality goods, and the other producing the Walmart goods, then everybody gets the shoddy stuff. So then, yeah, you get a great bargain paying less at Walmart, because it's going to break within a couple of months regardless of where you bought it.

While Walmart prides themselves on offering "11 different choices for health care", a whole lot of their employees opt for the low end option - your public health department. So - your tax dollars are going to support Walmart employees health care, as the "low end" versions don't cover small things like...pregnancies or immunizations.

Their return policy is just another added cost that their vendors have to shoulder...all they do is just short the amount of total returns on the next invoice from the vendor. It's great when a consumer, who is pissed off at Target or any other store that requires a receipt, takes it to Walmart with no packaging or receipts and gets a refund. The vendor will just get shorted. What they hey...he'll just have to lay off one more worker. It's funny to me how the crowd who preaches "personal responsiblity" really doesn't see that holding on to a receipt is an extension of someone's personal reponsiblity, but they love the heck out of Walmart for taking stuff back...even stuff that wasn't bought there.

This is the type of response I expected. I just think that it's funny how many people HATE Wal-mart, yet tons of people still shop there.

I disagree with the quality thing. Well, perhaps if you're paying $15 instead of $25 you can expect a bit less quality; however, it's certainly not to the degree that you said. And I don't believe that a manufacturer would have to stop production of higher quality stuff to produce low quality. Why not produce for both markets and make double the money. Even so, you find the exact same brands at Wal-mart that you can find anywhere else.

This is the type of response I expected. I just think that it's funny how many people HATE Wal-mart, yet tons of people still shop there.

I disagree with the quality thing. Well, perhaps if you're paying $15 instead of $25 you can expect a bit less quality; however, it's certainly not to the degree that you said. And I don't believe that a manufacturer would have to stop production of higher quality stuff to produce low quality. Why not produce for both markets and make double the money. Even so, you find the exact same brands at Wal-mart that you can find anywhere else.
I suggest you read the book "The Walmart Effect". They cite on company, oddly enough, that I had experience with - Nelson sprinklers. Before reading the book, I needed a lawn sprinkler. Nelson was the brand I bought (at home depot) for $20. Less than a month later, it crapped out. It was about that time I read the book. I discovered that Nelson got into Walmart and then Walmart started dictating the prices they would pay. Nelson, who built their sprinklers in the USA, couldn't make a profit at that price. So they closed the US plants and had the sprinklers built in China - with cheaper parts. The crap that is built in China for Walmart is also shipped to Home Depot, Lowes, and mom and pops hardware store. Crap is crap - no doubt about it. But let's examine that...I used to be able to pay $25 for a Nelson sprinkler and have it last at LEAST two summers. Now I find that if I spend $15 for that same (though lower quality) Nelson sprinkler, I need to buy 2 of them to get through ONE summer. So what HAD cost me $25 a few years ago and lasted 2 years, I now have to spend $60 to get the same two year lifespan....good for Walmart - but is it really good for the consumer?

Same thing with Levi's...they wanted into Walmart but couldn't make a profit at the price Walmart wanted to pay. So they offshored the Walmart crap. And that's what it was too. What happened? Levis got a bad reputation for quality. Beautiful.

And yes...many of their employees DO utilize public healthcare...so remember that next time your tax bill comes due...you're just helping keep the prices down at Walmart.

Oh..for what it's worth...there is a Walmart one mile from my home. I drive a mile past it to shop at Target. There's a Sams Club 3 miles from my home, but I'll drive 2 miles further down the road to shop a Costco. Some of us stick by our guns...I don't set foot in a Walmart.