Machinists Union Update

700UW

Corn Field
Nov 11, 2003
NC
August 5, 2004
File: USA-18 2004-67

US Airways Update

On August 3, 2004 General Vice President Robert Roach, Jr., Administrative Assistant Frank Celona, Airline Coordinator Jim Varsel, Grand Lodge Representative Joe Adinolfi, District 141 President/Directing General Chairman Randy Canale, District 142 President/Directing General Chairman William O’Driscoll, US Airways General Chairmen from Districts 141 & 142 and the District 141 Safety Chairman met in Washington, DC to review the status of US Airways, their demands for concessions from all the carrier’s employees and to review our cost savings ideas for presentation to US Airways.

In September 2002, IAM members approved US Airways’ proposals for concessions valued at $1.4 billion based on David Siegel’s promise that the airline would turn around and become profitable.

Just three months later, they again requested that IAM members provide an additional $354 million in cost savings to preserve the airline. The IAM advised US Airways management that if the membership voted to approve additional concessions, there would be no possibility of the agreements being opened again prior to the amendable date.

US Airways management committed that with those additional concessions there would not be a need to reopen the collective bargaining agreements. Based on the assurances by management, the membership voted to accept the additional concessions.

US Airways employees provided management with the tools they said they needed to fix the airline, and management failed. Now, management should listen to their employees’ ideas on what needs to be done for their carrier to survive.

While US Airways’ labor costs have been significantly reduced, its non-labor costs have skyrocketed. At the same time, its competitors have successfully reduced their non-labor costs.

In early 2004, US Airways’ Public Relations Department sent a message to all employees that the company would not survive without additional concessions. The IAM reminded the company of its commitment not to ask employees for additional concessions. Your Union advised US Airways, based on the direction and authority given to us by our members, “The Concession Stand is Closed.â€

In February, IAM Representatives, along with Flight Attendant and Pilot Representatives, met with US Airways Chairman Dr. David Bronner. At that meeting, the IAM expressed concern that the company was not being operated in an efficient, profitable manner.

Before and since that meeting, the IAM has repeatedly told the company that we are prepared to show them how to significantly reduce costs within the framework of our current collective bargaining agreements. We stand ready to do so.

After our members gave the concession in good faith the company opted to steal from them by subcontracting work that belongs to them under our collective bargaining agreement, forcing court action and arbitration to keep what is rightfully theirs and thereby adding to the cost structure.

Unless US Airways commits to addressing its non-labor problems, no amount of employee sacrifice will help the airline survive. We are still prepared to work with US Airways to correct the operational problems that our members have advised us currently exist.

US Airways is over-managed and over-supervised at costs detrimental to its future. The company can only survive if and when its cost structure is fixed. Management has failed us despite our sacrifices. Therefore, the time has come to listen to our recommendations so the company can achieve the significant cost savings necessary for its survival.

If you have any questions, please contact your General Chairman.

Sincerely and fraternally,
William O'Driscoll
PRESIDENT-DIRECTING
GENERAL CHAIRPERSON
Anthony Giammarco Bill Freiberger Steve Ebert David Snyder
GENERAL CHAIRMEN
DISTRICT LODGE #142

Tom Regan
REPRESENTATIVE

I guess this is as good a place for this as any...

US Airways mechanics appear to soften stance a bit

Friday, August 06, 2004
By Dan Fitzpatrick, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Mechanics -- staunch holdouts in US Airways' call for a new round of labor concessions -- sounded a defiant tone again yesterday but also seemed to hint that their union was ready to try to help the airline address its ills.

Article

Jim

And this...

Airline union wants its say

By Steve Halvonik
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, August 6, 2004

The union representing US Airways' mechanics and fleet service workers reiterated Thursday that it will not reopen its contract to give the financially troubled airline another $260 million in wage and benefits concessions.

Article

Jim

The USAirways IAM members are the greatest, strongest employees on this property.

They are NOT the highest paid in the industry...NOT EVEN CLOSE. They are either "in-line" with the LCC competition or below thier counterparts.

Don't want to hear the crap that the other LCC are making money...

OPERATE THE DAMN AIRLINE ALREADY!!!!!

If the company knew and agreed to the position of the Union when it sought round two of the concessions, they should be required to live up to their end of the bargain and not just say oops.

I already know it isn't my company because I don't work there, but what is right is right. I hope the BK judge takes note of that understanding, as well as the prior givebacks of any union that decides to not re-re-amend their contracts in the 1113/1114 issue.

I have thought for quite awhile that perhaps it is in any unions' best interest to not give any givebacks, let a judge decide the issue, and then have that judicial determination on the record in case the company comes back looking for more. That way, at least, you have the opportunity to be treated fairly and consistently.

Of the Mechanics I know, 95% to 98% are demanding the current position that the I.A.M. leadership is taking. Any "talk" of softening is simply the wishful thinking of non-Mechanics.

PITbull, thank-you for your kind comments. Most of us think equally highly of you.

Now, what else can we do to make managment run this airline, instead of jerking around their employees?

This is for the captain, usflichild/boy, hawk, flyonthewall, and all others who have refuted my remarks that the mechanics are united this time NO MATTER WHAT THE CONSEQUENCES. So put that in your pipes add some wacky weed and take a deep drag PORTION DELETED BY MODERATOR

"Tim McCulloch, a spokesman for IAM Local Lodge 1976 said "a lot'' of the 2,200 mechanics at Pittsburgh International Airport gathered Wednesday afternoon to discuss US Airways. He said that they reaffirmed, by voice vote, their anti-negotiating stance."

"Tim McCulloch, a spokesman for IAM Local Lodge 1976 said "a lot'' of the 2,200 mechanics at Pittsburgh International Airport gathered Wednesday afternoon to discuss US Airways. He said that they reaffirmed, by voice vote, their anti-negotiating stance."
i take it they infer at least a quorum? :lol:

The update was superb. The logic being used by the IAM is outstanding. The problems with this company are not caused by employee wages or work rules. The IAM understands that and has no fear in saying it. I am jealous, and pissed, my union has only about 25% of its members who have that understanding and the guts to hold the management accountable for the problems.

We are not JetBlue. When LUV came to PHL it was all about getting to their work rules and wages. Then they realized they were very similar to us. So now its JetBlue. But the operation still stinks. They cannot run an airline so they look to us to subsidize incompetence. And most buy into it to save their jobs. But not the IAM. Congrats to that union and their members. Some still have courage and conviction.

mr

repeet said:
Of the Mechanics I know, 95% to 98% are demanding the current position that the I.A.M. leadership is taking. Any "talk" of softening is simply the wishful thinking of non-Mechanics.
Dear Repeet,

You just said it yourself ... only 95% to 98% of the mechanics you know support the current union position. As a non-mechanic, or as you might call me a "shirt-tail rider", 100% of the non-mechanics I work with support the no concessions stance. We are not over paid. Our benefits have gone down the gutter as did yours. It is not us being heroes moving planes around without wing walkers. It is not us bailing out and becoming junior foremen. As I recall we shirt-tail riders went on strike to get you more money per ticket even though you might never really use said ticket. I'm sick of this "blame it on the less paid guy 'cuz he makes too much" mentality. You call yourself a union member? Did you ever hear of solidarity?. Solidarity broke the Soviet Union. Maybe you might want to try it at U ... even though it's probably too late ... not because of shirt-tail riders making too much but because of incompetent managers.

Repeet,

What you have said could not be more far from the truth.

The "and Relateds" have more to lose then the mechanics. And I have to add that in 1992, the "and Relateds" were the mechanics best friend because the contract we voted down was going to really screw the mechanics and I can remember lots of mechanics asking for the "and Related" support to vote it down. Can't say the same of your group, you voted for a contract that gave Utility part-time and in over 40 years that was never in our contract.

Then we had the airbus dispute and Line Utility did 100 times more to support the cause then line mechanics. If you want specifics you know who I am.

And now we come to this, the "and Related" group will be eliminated if the company impliments their transformation plan, and I know where I work it is 99.9% solid against any concessions. And you know where I work has the largest group of "and Relateds"!

Issues:

Non-Labor Cost………….....(Not being addressed)
Equal Pain (MGT Cuts)…..(Not being addressed)
Airbus litigation…………......(Not being addressed)
Fair Comparison to LCC…(Not being addressed)

Once again, start addressing the real issues and then see what your financial position is..!!

Many of you know the airline industry is very trendy…it goes up then down. The oil prices aren’t here to stay and people will get sick of riding those 50 seat airlines as soon as something better comes a long. Jetblue & Southwest are already starting to feel the pain.

Heck, it wouldn’t surprise me if the government stepped back in and regulated the whole industry again.

I'm done.

The reality of the marketplace is that labor has no leverage. I believe that the company will enter an involuntary bankruptcy, assisted by the ATSB and its creditors, unless all unions participate in the new business plan. The ATSB's loan guarantee auditor has publicly said the company can successfully complete another formal reorganiztion, which should be a clear indication of where the company is headed shortly after September 30 without the ability to fully implement the "Transformation Plan".

Bill Warlick, an analyst with Fitch Investors Service, who audited every airline loan guarantee application and provided a recommendation to the board, says it is difficult to see how US Airways, under current conditions, can meet its cash requirements on crucial loan packages.

"The threat of bankruptcy is more real now," Warlick says. "There is a pretty good chance that (creditors) will take some action by October if the company doesn't meet those covenants."

Note - The ATSB is a creditor and holds warrants in the company, which needs to be preserved.

In any event, the analyst believes a second Chapter 11 filing would not necessarily be a disaster. Continental Airlines Inc. went through that ringer twice and is doing well and Warlick thinks US Airways has sufficient liquidity that its creditors would not force liquidation of the company. "I think they will be given a shot at restructuring again," he says.

Complete Story

US Airways would prefer to restructure outside of the courts, but it will do so inside of bankruptcy, if necessary. Then the company will be forced to maintain cash flow so it does not require DIP financing and any group that does not have a S.1113 letter, will be put squarely in the "cross hairs" where the judge will protect the debtor and creditors. To suggest otherwise is nonsense because Bronner will do whatever is necessary to maintain the security and his investment, which could cause the current board to issue more shares to the company following the next re-organization.

I'm not trying to rain on a parade, but that's the reality all US Airways stakeholders face. Thus, some unions can see a lot of pain where their members can be badly hurt, which could be avoided.

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot