On 1/11/2003 12:22:41 AM 767jetz wrote:

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/10/2003 5:32:20 PM Borescope wrote:

My wrench seems to turn 14% slower now.
----------------
[/blockquote]

I hope your kidding. Right???

Should I fly 29% slower? Or maybe just 29% less efficiently?

Should the F/A's work 9% less?

Why don't the gate agents and CS board the flight 13% slower?

This is ridiculous. If everyone subscribes to this kind of attitude we will soon ALL be 100% out of work.

Now is the time for us to be putting 150% into our jobs for the sake of our paying customers.
----------------
[/blockquote]
January 11, 2003
United takes aim at pilots' perks

United Airlines is targeting elimination of a supplementary retirement plan for pilots and other crown jewels of their union contract as talks continue on long-term labor savings. Interim wage reductions are in place with all of its labor groups, including a 29% pay cut for pilots, but the hard bargaining is still ahead.
"It's very ugly," says one veteran pilot. "Twenty-nine percent was the easy part."

In addition to scrapping the pilots' so-called B plan — a defined contribution account similar to a 401(k) — United wants to raise the maximum hours that pilots can fly to 92 hours per month from 85, and lower the guaranteed minimum to 60 from 75. United is proposing changes in benefit plans and work rules with all of its unions to cut its losses as required by lenders after the carrier's parent, Elk Grove Township-based UAL Corp., filed for bankruptcy protection from creditors last month.

A spokesman for UAL declined to comment, and a spokesman for the Air Line Pilots Assn. could not be reached.

It's going to get ALOT worse for all of us huh Skipper???

But from what the union told me (you don't get to say names here, but we had a famous US admiral with the same last name

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/11/2003 2:26:48 PM A&P Tech wrote:

Hey, don't complain about the 14% cut, look at what the IAM "negotiated" for us at Usairways. I would love to have just given 14% even 20% and kept a few more jobs. Hopefully you will fare better than we did when the IAM does their so called negotiating. To me the Judge did a better job. Good Luck!!
----------------
[/blockquote]

The Judge did a better job?!! Boy your one d**b id**t. This isn't about the IAM or AMFA were face with... it's bankruptcy you clueless p*. That 14%, actually 13%, wasn't given to us by the judge. The company imposed that temporary(so it's not over, get it!!) wage cut on us by asking the court. Do you know what the next session with the Judge is for if the Union and the Company don't come to an agreement? I bet you don't even know huh?

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/11/2003 11:49:28 AM The Ronin wrote:

) United envisions a mechanic staffing of 4400-5500 mechanics. Hope your not stretched out on a line station far away 747mech....
----------------
[/blockquote]

Private Ronin don't ya worry about me son!! I have 1984 Seniority. Pukes like you just keeps making it worst for all of us. Now get down and give me 50 You Maggott!! Faster!! I want sweat come out like rain boy!! I said Faster!![img src='http://www.usaviation.com/idealbb/images/smilies/6.gif'] That's more like it son, good boy. OORRAAAHHH!!!! Carry On.....

Hey, don't complain about the 14% cut, look at what the IAM "negotiated" for us at Usairways. I would love to have just given 14% even 20% and kept a few more jobs. Hopefully you will fare better than we did when the IAM does their so called negotiating. To me the Judge did a better job. Good Luck!!

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/11/2003 2:44:10 PM ual747mech wrote:

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/11/2003 2:26:48 PM A&P Tech wrote:

----------------
[/blockquote]

The Judge did a better job?!! Boy your one d**b id**t. This isn't about the IAM or AMFA were face with... it's bankruptcy you clueless p*. That 14%, actually 13%, wasn't given to us by the judge. The company imposed that temporary(so it's not over, get it!!) wage cut on us by asking the court. Do you know what the next session with the Judge is for if the Union and the Company don't come to an agreement? I bet you don't even know huh?

----------------
[/blockquote]

Will the next session with the Judge put IAM officials' positions in jeopardy? Will these temporary cuts end when UAL comes out of bankruptcy? If so, that would seem to be better than having a concessionary contract that lasts longer than the present emergency, at least for the membership, not the IAM officials.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/10/2003 10:11:09 PM Buck wrote:

I am a mechanic from AA:

My question: 13% across the board? Why are the mechanic license premiums part of this cut?
----------------
[/blockquote]

Local 141-M's website says:
"The reductions will be applied to each factor that makes up total hourly pay, including base rates and all individual premiums."

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/11/2003 7:11:43 PM Steiner wrote:

Will the next session with the Judge put IAM officials' positions in jeopardy? Will these temporary cuts end when UAL comes out of bankruptcy? If so, that would seem to be better than having a concessionary contract that lasts longer than the present emergency, at least for the membership, not the IAM officials.
----------------
[/blockquote]

These wage cuts are only temporary until the unions and the company come to a consensual agreement or until the judge makes a decision whether to abrogate the contracts if no agreement is reached. I bet you think it's better for us to let the Judge decide huh?

BTW I'm not an IAM official, I don't like the way they do things either. If you don't trust the IAM then look at what the other Unions are saying...I do. Look at the AFA's website they have good information. In fact I look at all the Union's website for information. As far as the Union officials goes..I don't think it will affect them as much as it will affect the membership. They still get paid by the Union whether we get our wages cut or not.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/11/2003 7:18:45 PM Steiner wrote:

[blockquote]
----------------

I am a mechanic from AA:

My question: 13% across the board? Why are the mechanic license premiums part of this cut?
----------------
[/blockquote]

"The reductions will be applied to each factor that makes up total hourly pay, including base rates and all individual premiums."

----------------
[/blockquote]
So the 13% for mechanics is made up of their base and premiuns, while Fleet Service etc.. is only on their base pay. Is this not devaluating the license premiums?

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/12/2003 10:17:11 PM Buck wrote:

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/11/2003 7:18:45 PM Steiner wrote:

[blockquote]
----------------

I am a mechanic from AA:

----------------
[/blockquote]

----------------
[/blockquote]
So the 13% for mechanics is made up of their base and premiuns, while Fleet Service etc.. is only on their base pay. Is this not devaluating the license premiums?
----------------
[/blockquote]

Don't work ramp, but my understanding is this affects all their shift differential/lead pay premiums. That what you are wondering, or am I misunderstanding.

No not exactly. All job areas receive their premiums for lead positions and shift differential correct?

What I am saying is that the pay for the Airframe and Powerplant licenses are being devalued by including them in the percentage.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/13/2003 5:26:00 AM Buck wrote:

No not exactly. All job areas receive their premiums for lead positions and shift differential correct?

What I am saying is that the pay for the Airframe and Powerplant licenses are being devalued by including them in the percentage.
----------------
[/blockquote]

Of course they're being devalued. It is an across the board cut. The court doesn't care how that 13% reduction is achieved. I'm sure the IAM can negotiate other changes which add up to the same dollar value (or more) than what the "flat tax" cut achieved.

Lesson to be learned from this: negotiate what you can before it comes to the point of being imposed with the Court's approval...