If only Others could play as nice

SSBB

Oct 4, 2005
TEMPE, Ariz. (AP) - US Airways Group Inc. said Tuesday it reached an agreement with the two unions representing certain workers of US Airways and America West, the airlines that formed the company in September.

The company said the Communications Workers of America, which represented US Airways' passenger service employees, and the International Brotherhood of Teamsters, which represented America West's employees, recently formed an alliance to represent the newly formed airline's passenger service and reservations workers.

The alliance is called the Airline Customer Service Employee Association, and will cover about 7,150 workers, US Airways said.

The agreement, the company added, covers how the two groups will be integrated into one work force and includes provisions for preferential hiring of furloughed workers where vacancies occur, protocols on seniority and other terms.

If the rez agent unions can do it and the IBT was on of the two unions involved it does beg the question why the heck the IBT and IAM can't do the same thing with the mechanics. Seems as though HP management doesn't want to drag out the integration process and is willing to compromise pay increases to get it done. Dell and 700, it would be nice to get your input on this and some of the IBT folks as well.

Parker and his croanies want the IAM contract to be the contract to go forward till the end of 2009 that is why they will not work out a deal like that and I do not believe that either union is interested in that program. That is why Parker is telling half truths to people on the east coast when asked about the contracts and outsourceing. He knows that the work will be coming back in house reguardless of who wins the representation election.

Have you folks upstairs realized yet that you are going to be union. I was in planning the other day and got the impression that some think if they ignore it, it will go away. It won't.

I doubt the work will come back in-house under the ibt contract as it is cheaper to outsource.

Please show me the signed off article in your contract where they agreed to bring heavy back in-house.

The alliance is called the Airline Customer Service Employee Association, and will cover about 7,150 workers, US Airways said.

The agreement, the company added, covers how the two groups will be integrated into one work force and includes provisions for preferential hiring of furloughed workers where vacancies occur, protocols on seniority and other terms.

I agree, it would be nice to see the two mechanic and related groups get together also, maybe if we checked our egos at the door.

"I saw the angel in the marble and I chiseled until I set it free." Michelangelo

Parker and his croanies want the IAM contract to be the contract to go forward till the end of 2009 that is why they will not work out a deal like that and I do not believe that either union is interested in that program. That is why Parker is telling half truths to people on the east coast when asked about the contracts and outsourceing. He knows that the work will be coming back in house reguardless of who wins the representation election.

Have you folks upstairs realized yet that you are going to be union. I was in planning the other day and got the impression that some think if they ignore it, it will go away. It won't.
No IAM and IBT to stupid

My group has acknowledge we probably will...can't speak for planning. We're having a meeting next week to discuss the latest news and options. If we do become unionized, I sure hope the IAM and IBT can work together, or at least keep from killing each other off. It may be a pipe dream though gauging how the two are communicating on this board.

I hope that you are correct Eric, one the representation has been decieded both side HAVE to work as one or this merger will fail and if it does we will all be out of work. I know we have to try or we are shooting our self in the foot if we don't work together. I can not speak for everyone else but I happen to need this job so I need this merger to succeed.

Parker and Hemmingway have both said in different venues that the IAM contract is the successor contract. IAM leadership has put the same out in thier flyers. Which means that the work comes back period no matter who wins the election. Saying otherwise is just a not telling the whole truth. The difference is we intend to negociate a new contract to cover both groups. I know that we will not settle for less than we have which means the work comes back and stays back. You know that 700 but just won't say it because it is not what you were told to say. Oh, and by the way, we gave the company a scope proposal that was even more restrictive than yours this week. Can't say they were pleased but that is the way it goes.

My group has acknowledge we probably will...can't speak for planning. We're having a meeting next week to discuss the latest news and options. If we do become unionized, I sure hope the IAM and IBT can work together, or at least keep from killing each other off. It may be a pipe dream though gauging how the two are communicating on this board.

So where is this meeting? When is this meeting? Who is going to give you the latest information and news?

Parker and Hemmingway have both said in different venues that the IAM contract is the successor contract. IAM leadership has put the same out in thier flyers. Which means that the work comes back period no matter who wins the election. Saying otherwise is just a not telling the whole truth.

I have been reading a great deal of the post on this board about the merger of the two unions. There is much "chest thumping" going on about each union. I do think that the members of each union will see what is required for each group to survive as a whole. If the members put in have as much time into making the merger work as they do "chest thumping" the merger will be a success.

So you are saying that the IAM contract will be the prevailing contract? How is that decided?

So it's cheaper to outsource under the IBT than the IAM?? That one needs an explanation. :)
As the company looks at it, it's cheaper to outsource under any contract.......makes no difference which one it is or which one it will be. IMHO, it's an equal playing field. It will all boil down to the strongest and the best negotiators.......and the members too, of course.