If Spirit & JB get blessing for merger, how long until the JB Mechanics are represented by AMFA as well???

SWAMECH

Veteran
Apr 26, 2005
Admittedly lacking some info in this area, so wanted to throw this question out to all who have experienced this in their past mergers.
Spirit Mechanics are represented by AMFA, but, not a finished CBA as of now. I assume a vote would be called for to see where the JB Mechanics stand on being unionized after the merger, however, does the vote come if there still is no fist contract yet? Or would they need to wait until the CBA is completed and then vote??
I would think they would vote, rather an agreement is completed or not, in order to say yay or nay on being unionized. I know the majority Mechanics want AMFA representation as evident by the card drive numbers that did sign off on it, what remains there is what will be included as "The Related" group with them.
So I guess I am asking; does a contract have to be in place in order to vote to be unionized or not???

I do like AMFA Nationals pic under Spirit Airlines info with Alaska and of course a JetBlue aircraft in background kind of indicating they too will soon be AMFA represented if/when this merger goes through. Hope the pic transfers with this link toss below;

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: JimmyBop
Admittedly lacking some info in this area, so wanted to throw this question out to all who have experienced this in their past mergers.
Spirit Mechanics are represented by AMFA, but, not a finished CBA as of now. I assume a vote would be called for to see where the JB Mechanics stand on being unionized after the merger, however, does the vote come if there still is no fist contract yet? Or would they need to wait until the CBA is completed and then vote??
I would think they would vote, rather an agreement is completed or not, in order to say yay or nay on being unionized. I know the majority Mechanics want AMFA representation as evident by the card drive numbers that did sign off on it, what remains there is what will be included as "The Related" group with them.
So I guess I am asking; does a contract have to be in place in order to vote to be unionized or not???

I do like AMFA Nationals pic under Spirit Airlines info with Alaska and of course a JetBlue aircraft in background kind of indicating they too will soon be AMFA represented if/when this merger goes through. Hope the pic transfers with this link toss below;

Waste of bandwidth

Or Jetblue files o dissolve AMFA representation at Spirit because the Jetblue mechanics are far greater in numbers and they won't have a 50% +1 majority. Be careful what you wish for cheerleader!

So much for a blessing on the merger. Merger was just killed by ruling. Killing the JB/Spirit merger gives a more than likely killing of the ALK/Hawaiian merger too.
Will Frontier step back into the game? Or will they stay out and wait and watch for the BK move. All very fluid for now. Next move should be a rejected Alaska/Hawaiian merger. We shall wait and see...

It's official as JB and Spirit announced Fri eve., they will push forward with an appeal. Love how the media jump on the bandwagon of BK for Spirit when the merger was first blocked. Could that have been strategy by Spirit/JB in order to open the eyes of the appeal Judges eyes prior to receiving the appeal as now they will know either way Spirit will go away rather by merger or by BK. Maybe a great move prior to appeal announcement.

Latest posts