In Memory - Jeffrey D. McClelland

N903AW

Veteran
Jul 27, 2005
KPHX
Visit site
In Memory: Jeffrey D. McClelland

Sept. 11, 2006

It is with heavy hearts that we announce Executive Vice President and Chief Administration Officer Jeff McClelland passed away Sunday, September 10, 2006. Please keep Jeff's family, which includes wife Lori and their four sons, in your thoughts and prayers.

Jeff, who was 47, was diagnosed with cancer about four years ago. Since that time, he underwent several operations and rounds of chemotherapy. His experiences in fighting colon cancer were chronicled in the Arizona Republic in July 2005 and October 2005; Jeff's grace and strength inspired others fighting similar battles.

CEO Doug Parker, who worked with Jeff for over 18 years, said, "Words can't describe the sadness we feel from losing not only an extremely talented executive but a close confidante and a great friend. Jeff's contributions, which are too numerous to list, went well beyond any job title. He brought insight, depth and vision to our airline and he did so with an unparalleled work ethic and the utmost integrity. He was the embodiment of leadership by example, setting a standard that drove those of us who worked with him to be better executives and better people.

"Jeff dealt with this disease the same way he approached every other challenge; with resolve and a quiet determination. He never complained or asked for help, choosing instead to keep his battle private while continuing to come to work and contribute well beyond what any reasonable person would expect.

"In the near future, we plan to re-dedicate the PHX flight center as the Jeffrey D. McClelland Flight Center. This is one small way to honor Jeff's life and his love of aviation while giving our team a continuous reminder of the standard he set for us. For employees wishing to honor Jeff, we'll also establish the McClelland Scholarships within the US Airways Education Foundation. We will miss our friend, but we will not forget him or the lessons he taught us."

Jeff's History

Jeff began his aviation career as a U.S. Navy pilot. After earning his MBA from Stanford, he transitioned into commercial aviation by taking a position with American Airlines. After three years, he moved to Northwest Airlines, where he worked for nearly a decade in senior management. At Northwest, Jeff held a variety of operations and finance positions. When he left Northwest, he was senior vice president/controller for the airline.

In 1999, Jeff arrived at America West. He came into the airline as senior vice president, operations and was responsible for technical operations. Jeff led the remarkable operational turnaround of America West in 2000 and, in 2001, he was named executive vice president and chief operating officer. He led the airline's operational recovery after Sept. 11, 2001.

Jeff played an integral role in developing the America West/US Airways merger and, following the September 2005 merger announcement; Jeff assumed a new position as executive vice president/chief administration officer. In this role, he oversaw finance, legal affairs, human resources, labor relations properties and facilities. He also oversaw the new airline's wholly owned subsidiary operations.

Doug said, "Part of Jeff's legacy is the great people that he led and mentored. While we cannot replace Jeff, we anticipate his responsibilities will be capably handled by dividing them among members of our current executive team."

The Jeffrey D. McClelland Flight Center
As Doug announced, there will be a company-wide dedication of the flight center that will be named after Jeff.

A McClelland Scholarship fund will also be established within the framework of the US Airways Education Foundation. Details will be forthcoming and communicated as soon as they're determined. Jeff appreciated the numerous cards and letters he received over the past four years as he battled this disease. Many employees recently signed a giant "You Make US Fly" poster, and Jeff was visibly moved when the poster was presented to him.

Private services for the family will be held in Wisconsin. A tribute to honor Jeff's life and legacy will be planned for Jeff's Phoenix "family" at a later date and details will be communicated once those are known. In the meantime, please keep Jeff's family and friends in your thoughts and prayers.

Jeff gave a valiant fight all the way to his passing. For those who may not have had the privilege of meeting him, he was a man with a big heart and great sense of humor that never waivered, even while fighting cancer. He inspired many of us with his determination during his darkest time. Rest in peace, Jeff, the battle is over and you put up a great fight.

May God bless Jeff's family - life family, America West and US Airways family during this difficult time. You will be missed Jeff, rest in peace.

My thoughts prayers and condolences go out to Jeff's family, friends and colleagues. Although I never had the pleasure of meeting him, I heard alot about him, and I am sure he will be sorely missed by all who knew him.

Rest in Peace, Jeff.

My thoughts and prayers for his family, it is always hard to loose one at that young of age. I had the chance to talk to him multiple times over the years and he was one of the good guys. He will be greatly missed.

Jeff was a class act and was always very supportive of his employees. He was the only executive that I saw after 9/11 walking throughout the terminal in PHX to see how everyone was doing. He always had a great amount of respect from the employees who knew or worked with him. I am so saddened for his family and especially his children. My thoughts are with his family, both at home and at work.

Thank You MR. Jeffrey D. McClelland:,
Scottish Eye's are Wet with Your Departure,We are missing You,We Will Be Praying & Helping your Family,As Much as Possible.You Were AN Awesome Leader in our MX Team, Your Foundation that You have Left @ AWA/US AIRWAYS will Forever Reflect Your Professional Attitude that You Mr McClelland were to ALL the Aviator's that Knew You. Thank you For your Service. We Miss You.
MWW

What I remember most about him was from 3-4 years ago. A very bad mistake had been made that was affecting the entire operation. He sent out a letter accepting responsibilty and just asked us all to do the best we could until the mistake was rectified. I thought it was classy, especially after the Franke years.

My sincere condolences to the family.

I met Jeff only once at CCY DCA late last year. To me, he looked young,energetic, full of excitement and life. I was told he was battling cancer, but he surely didn't look it. That's how I will remember him.
I am so very sorry Doug Parker, and to those who worked with him for years on a daily basis who will be mourning for a long time.

I still have his e-mails when he responded in 2005.
I will keep them.

Jeff was the best. He had a way of getting it right. It is my honor to have worked for him. My thoughts and prayers are with his family. He will be missed.

Unbelievably remarkable and courageous. This was a man truly committed to his work, his family, and equally committed to battling this cancer.

My thoughts and prayers are with his family and I truly am grateful for having the opportunity to have known him and interacted with him. I'm also certain that Doug has been very saddened by his death and my thoughts are with him as well.

Jeff was a good guy and a fighter. I didn't get to meet him but a few times, but from everyone I knew that worked with him, he was a class act.