Jumping Ship

WingNaPrayer

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
EYW
Visit site
American Announces That Sue Oliver Is Leaving the Company for an Executive Position With Wal-Mart

AA Names Jeff Brundage to Succeed Oliver as
Senior Vice President of Human Resources

FORT WORTH, Texas, March 17 /PRNewswire/ -- American Airlines announced today that Sue Oliver, its Senior Vice President-Human Resources, is leaving the company to accept a position as Senior Vice President of People for Wal-Mart Stores, USA, at its headquarters in Bentonville, Ark. Jeffrey J. Brundage, who has guided all of American's relationships with its labor unions as Vice President of Employee Relations, was named to succeed Oliver.

"We are very sorry to see Sue leave the American Airlines family, and we wish her every success in her new responsibilities with Wal-Mart," said Gerard J. Arpey, American's president and chief executive officer. "Sue is an exceptionally talented executive who has made important contributions to the process of creating a new environment for our people under the 'Pull Together, Win Together' tenet of our Turnaround Plan.

"At the same time, we are extremely fortunate to have an executive of Jeff Brundage's experience and deep understanding of employee issues to succeed Sue in this vitally important role," Arpey said. "Jeff has been an ardent supporter of the active engagement process with our employee groups and will provide strong leadership as we continue to build for the future hand in hand with our people."

Brundage joined American in December 1999 as Managing Director of Employee Relations for the Flight Department, where he had primary liaison responsibility between the airline and the Allied Pilots Association, which represents American's pilots. In February 2001, he was appointed Vice President of Employee Relations, responsible for relations with all of the carrier's union groups.

For seven years prior to joining American, Brundage worked for the Airline Pilots Association International, most recently as the Senior Collective Bargaining Coordinator. He began his aviation career as a pilot for Pocono Airlines before serving in the same capacity for Atlantic Coast Airlines.

Brundage studied at Johnson and Wales College in Providence, Rhode Island, and worked on several political campaigns.

He and his wife, Diane, reside in Colleyville, Texas.

Oliver joined American in 1986 as a Counsel in Employee Relations and had spent the majority of her career with American in that department. She was promoted to Vice President of Employee Relations in 1997 and was named Senior Vice President of Human Resources in 2000.

Oliver's undergraduate degree is from George Washington University. She holds a Law Degree from the University of Denver Law School.

A native of Des Moines, Iowa, Oliver lives in Arlington, Texas. She and her husband have three children.

If my instincts are right here, Brundage might be pro-labor, something that Susan Oliver couldn't manage on her best day! I'm sure she'll be taking her share of the "protected" pension fund with her, but for her to just chuck nearly 20 years with the company and get out . . . that speaks volumes.

mweiss said:
They sure know how to treat their employees at Wal-Mart... :blink:
In Wisconsin they actually have billboards saying "Don't shop at Wal-Mart." These signs were made by the unions and its members.

mweiss, I actually agree with you on something...wow! :shock:

LiveInAHotel said:
mweiss, I actually agree with you on something...wow! :shock:
LOL. I'm not a management monster, contrary to the opinions of many on USaviation.

But seriously, compare how AA treats you to the way Wal-Mart treats their line employees. You're treated like royalty in comparison.

Yeah, you could be treated with (much) more respect. But don't forget that it's a two-way street..."always had bad relations, always will" doesn't give one hope for the future, ya know? It's horribly defeatist.

mweiss said:
LOL. I'm not a management monster, contrary to the opinions of many on USaviation.

But seriously, compare how AA treats you to the way Wal-Mart treats their line employees. You're treated like royalty in comparison.

Yeah, you could be treated with (much) more respect. But don't forget that it's a two-way street..."always had bad relations, always will" doesn't give one hope for the future, ya know? It's horribly defeatist.
Hotel,
I've got to jump in here about mweiss.

I've been posting with him since "PLANE BUSINESS",and he's a very "direct, and to the point kind of person, and I tend to agree with him more times than not.

(Although I think he's NOT an airline employee), he's(as he says), NOT a "kool aid" drinker.

NH/BB's

NewHampshire Black Bears said:
GOOD RIDDENCE !!!!!
(WAL-MART), It figures !!!!!!!!!!!!

NH/BB's
any chance of her taking along the the company lap dog union the twu? im sure they could negotiate a contract that would increase walmarts profit margin. <_<

local 12 proud said:
any chance of her taking along the the company lap dog union the twu? im sure they could negotiate a contract that would increase walmarts profit margin. <_<
I hope she will ask John Ward to join her at Wal-Mart. After all he is her b***h!

Latest posts

Back