Industrial Union Saga Continues

RV4

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
www.usaviation.com
US Airways subcontracts work, inflames mechanics
Monday October 6, 3:45 pm ET

NEW YORK, Oct 6 (Reuters) - US Airways Group Inc. said on Monday that it will outsource heavy maintenance on 10 of its airplanes to an Alabama company, which prompted the airline's mechanics' union to file for a temporary restraining order that would prevent the move.

US Airways said 10 of its Airbus narrow body aircraft are due for their first round of mandatory heavy maintenance checks this fall, but said it does not have the facilities or equipment to perform the work.

The Arlington, Virginia-based airline, which emerged from bankruptcy on March 31, will outsource the maintenance to ST Mobile Aerospace Engineering Inc, based in Mobile, Alabama.

The International Association of Machinists, the union that represents US Airways' mechanics, called the decision to subcontract the work unjustified, and said it violated the mechanics' collective bargaining agreement.

"In the 54 years the IAM and US Airways have had a collective bargaining relationship, the company has never subcontracted heavy maintenance of aircraft," the union said. The union filed for the temporary restraining order in the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania.

US Airways' mechanics perform heavy maintenance on all of the airline's Boeing (NYSE:BA - News) airplanes, and keep up with day-to-day fixes on the entire fleet.

The Airbus airplanes are nearing five years in service, when they start to require more comprehensive routine checks mandated by the Federal Aviation Administration and European aircraft maker Airbus.

US Airways said it would work with the IAM to decide whether heavy maintenance on the Airbus airplanes could be done by the airline's own mechanics in the future. The airline said the next round of heavy checks on Airbus planes would not be due until September 2004.

No details on the monetary value of US Airways' deal with ST Mobile Aerospace were provided.

The Retirement Systems of Alabama, which manages Alabama workers' pensions, agreed to a 37 percent ownership stake in US Airways during its bankruptcy, and fund representatives account for more than half of the airline's board.

US Airways spokesman David Castelveter said the airline did not take RSA's ties to Alabama into account when it was choosing a subcontractor.

"The decision to go with ST Mobile was purely based upon their reputation for doing this type of work," Castelveter said.

All of this outsourcing is really scary. On behalf of all F/A's, please stand up to this. The public needs to know our serious this really is. I live in Charlotte (major US Airways base) and there was a terrible crash here recently of one of their smaller planes from their subsidiary that was a direct result of outsourcing.
Terry
IDF

WPXI.com
Lawsuit Brings US Airways To Pittsburgh Court
Airline Ships Work On Jets To Alabama

POSTED: 9:58 a.m. EDT October 10, 2003
UPDATED: 10:22 a.m. EDT October 10, 2003

PITTSBURGH -- Friday, a federal judge downtown will hear arguments aimed at stopping US Airways from shipping maintenance work on Airbus jets to Alabama.
US AIRWAYS: BANKRUPTCY & BEYOND US Airways: The Bankruptcy and Beyond
# US Airways Releases Pittsburgh Hub Economic Impact Study # Story Archive: Additional Coverage Of US Airways

The suit was brought by the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers.

The union said the move is in violation of its contract with the airline.

Maintenance work on jets is usually done here in Pittsburgh or in Charlotte, N.C.

But, US Airways said it doesn't have the proper facilities in either city to work on the planes.

And are the Flight Attendants going to make a stand to protect us from outsourcing? The Flight Attendants Union should protect my work as a mechanic, to protect theirs. Wow, Solidarity, what a concept.

Buck said:
And are the Flight Attendants going to make a stand to protect us from outsourcing? The Flight Attendants Union should protect my work as a mechanic, to protect theirs. Wow, Solidarity, what a concept.
You wouldn't want our union taking a stand to protect you. That's a sure way to lose everything. They can't/won't even protect us.
However, I like your idea of solidarity. Do you think we've been pitted against each other for too long for there to ever be solidarity?
Terry

However, I like your idea of solidarity. Do you think we've been pitted against each other for too long for there to ever be solidarity?
Personally I think the f/a and mechanics should have a very cozy relationship. At least I can see no down side for either and if there is something that ever does arise I see no reason we would not be able to get through it. I don't know how the TWU would look at this because I don't think they like non-afl-cio unions such as the ALPA and the APA but I could be wrong. Might ask CIO what he thinks of non AFL-CIO unions. From what I understand they consider craft/class unions as weak and hollow, again could be wrong though!!!

Buck said:
Then how about the flight attendants after all they are susposed to be the union.
I know the flight attendants are against outsourcing (its their lives at stake). The problem is a lot of apathy amongst the flight attendants. Remember we had the largest, most successful strike in US history. But, then 9-11 happened, flt. 587 happened, the "shoe bomber" happened, then we were betrayed not just by the company (which we expect) but by our union, too. The flight attendants are overworked right now...no food and short layovers and understaffed. A lot of flight attendants don't see any light at the end of the tunnel and they don't believe in David and Goliath. In my entire career I've never seen such hopelessness.
I think before you will ever see flight attendants becoming a cohesive lot again, there will have to be a new slate of people in office. Also, a victory in court over the constitution violations would go a long way in helping rejuvenate the flight attendant membership.
Btw, I know some flight attendants have written letters to Arpey against outsourcing the mechanics' work. I don't think that ever does any good. The letter I wrote to Arpey on another subject was basically turned over to HR and they discarded it.
Terry

The TWU would never help the flight attendants. They are still bitter about the divorce back in 1979. Funny how a group consisting mainly of women and some fellas had the balls to dump the TWU but we the supposed HE-MEN have been too scared to do the same. At least the f/a's have the ability to toss out their reps if they chose to do so.
The TWU would never help the pilots because of petty jealousy and the non AFL-CIO affiliation of the APA. Besides, the TWU and the AFL-CIO's idea of solidarity only goes as far as corny slogans and goofy t-shirts which boil down to nothing.
AMFA on the other hand does not include no strike clauses in it's contracts. AMFA will not cross picket lines and AMFA does not perform struck work.

Actions speak louder than words...or t-shirts!.

[WOO, WOO! (friendly Raccoon goodbye)

The letter I wrote to Arpey on another subject was basically turned over to HR and they discarded it.

That is because labor is just a necessay evil to American Airlines. Sometimes I believe that those at headquarters forget what this company's purpose is?