Machinists Win Major Dispute

PORTION DELETED BY MODERATOR

Sure, I'll admit it, I was for all this "union" stuff many years ago when I worked at British Airways, but that was a different story. What do you guys want? You all still have your jobs, nothings been taken from you, you've still got everything you started with. I am very close to someone who is in Mobile right now working on the Airbusses...(but, gee whiz, not now because of your stupid court injunction), and that person was amazed at the work that those guys were doing down there. No complaining, no bitching, no union backing them up...they did their job and they did it without problem, and they did it right, the first time. What will happen if this goes thru and the Airbusses come up to PIT? Are the facilities there?? Is the manpower there?? Are you all "ready"???? I don't think so. How's about USAir just retires that fleet, isn't that what you want??

Dafydil,

Here's an epiphany Ms. flower, for you......
You say nothing has been taken from us? You say no job losses? 20,000 jobs are gone from U, and if this co. was given the legal right to out source, there would have been many more added to it. Not now, but in the future.

You've been sitting in the sun to long and you're starting to wilt. You need hydrated....someone get a hose.

dafeedil said:
Geez, "Bigdog" if you can fix an airplane as well as you can spell, make sure I'm not flying on one of "your" planes. Sure, I'll admit it, I was for all this "union" stuff many years ago when I worked at British Airways, but that was a different story. What do you guys want? You all still have your jobs, nothings been taken from you, you've still got everything you started with. I am very close to someone who is in Mobile right now working on the Airbusses...(but, gee whiz, not now because of your stupid court injunction), and that person was amazed at the work that those guys were doing down there. No complaining, no bitching, no union backing them up...they did their job and they did it without problem, and they did it right, the first time. What will happen if this goes thru and the Airbusses come up to PIT? Are the facilities there?? Is the manpower there?? Are you all "ready"???? I don't think so. How's about USAir just retires that fleet, isn't that what you want??
You are completely and utterly clueless. Pit and Clt encompass the BEST manpower in the industry for handling this work. HANGER SPACE IS HERE AS WELL! Most of the mechanics are more than just mechanics with other trade skills under their belt making this work as easy to handle as childs play to them.

You're dead wrong on jobs not being taken, it was a matter of TIME before jobs would vanish and this management team knew this. It seems you are either one of them or have been snookered and totally blinded by this conniving band of union busting corporate want to be instant millionaires. Exploiting millions on the backs of the hard working family man. Dave must go along with his pathetic management team, he has ruined any chance of rebuilding his creditability with the entire labor force. It’s time for a divorce nasty or otherwise from this low down and dirty CEO that was forced upon us all. His disguise of labor friendly Dave has been exposed and it an very ugly picture.

As an IAM ramper....congrats to my brothers/sisters in IAM-M. To the IAM itself, I say it's good for the membership and for the IAM that you took a firm stand. This restores some faith in you. To all, breath a quick sigh of relief...for the moment. You can count on tomorrow bringing another challenge. The challenge may come at you/us straight away, or you/we may get blind-sided. Expect the unexpected. With this company it seems like it has always been this way...I see no change in sight.

Congrats to the Maint. & Related at U.

Daffy,
You said that you were a former employee of British Air, so it is no wonder that you have a certain hostility towards the M&E Group.

After all, it was British Airways that first split off their Maintenance & Engineering Group from the airline and then forced them to bid against the third party vendors just to do their own work.

dafeedil,

Yes, there is space in PIT and CLT. All management has to do is call back the employees they have furloughed back to work to perform the job that has to be done.

I never bashed the guys in Mobile, I know there were a few misguided individuals here labeling them scabs and such, which is unfortunate and wrong. I am sure they are hard working individuals, but this work contractually belonged to the mechanics at US Airways through a collective bargaining agreement. Like it or not, this is a legally binding document that both sides must live with. The guys in Mobile are free to bid on work from NWA, UA, B6 and any of the others that permit outsourcing.

I have got to hand it to IAM legal, I figured this was headed to arbitration. Good job guys!

As for the company, they have bitten off more than they can chew. Their previous attempts at attempting to get IAM specifically permitted in the CBA, and the latest nonsense trying to get the IAM to sit down and discuss things like bringing in outside work (gee, I thought we had no facilities to do our own?), have come to haunt them!

IAM Statement

ARLINGTON (theHub.com) - US Airways today issued the following statement in response to the decision made today by the U.S. District Court for Western Pennsylvania granting the International Association of Machinists’(IAM) request for a Preliminary Injunction on the right for US Airways to use a third-party maintenance repair provider for work on 10 US Airways Airbus A319 aircraft.

“We are surprised by the court’s ruling. We immediately will seek an emergency stay of the order from District Judge Robert J. Cindrich or from the Third Circuit while we appeal to the Third Circuit Court of Appeals. We are confident that our position will prevail in the appellate court. In the meantime, we will, of course, abide by the decision and halt the heavy maintenance work on the two A319s that are currently at Mobile Aerospace in Mobile, Ala.

“The flying public should be assured that US Airways will continue to make safety its top priority and no action will be taken that would undermine that commitment. We continue to believe the issues should be resolved by the parties, and again call upon the IAM to work with the company to settle this disagreement. The company’s long-standing offer to expedite arbitration of this issue remains in place and the company is willing to work with the IAM to explore ways to bring future Airbus heavy maintenance work in-house.â€￾

Chip, I don't understand why do you actually take the company's side.

The IAM and workers finally won something to prevent this management team to just crush the employees.

Second, there is nothing to arbitrate, the IAM won, enough said.

IAM took the position it is our work and the judge agreed.

Why do you take the evil empire in CCY's side?

AOG-N-IT said:
PineyBob,

We didn't pick this fight...Seigel did !!! We are just here to stand for whats right...and rightfully ours.

Should we win the battle but lose the war?...it will not be of the rank and files creation. They chose this course of action...not us.

Your warnings are falling on the ears of people with nothing left to lose...with the exception of maybe the upper 20% of the current staffing levels within maintenance and the related fields.

Do not think for a moment that this will not boil over towards the other labor groups for a scant second. If the IAM does not attempt to stop this madness in it's tracks and prevail in the end..the remainder will fall victim to alike tactics down the road , rest assured of that
Hey man,
Here this dude. This is a fight the company started, not the machinists. The employees of us gave 1.8 b in concessions------not to give up their jobs--but to retain them. Shame on hawk and his minions for the back stabbing acts they have perpetrated. May they sail down the rivers Styx and Charron.

Now that were on the same page and battling as one the next up could be the pilots and their champion Chip. It appears the company is trying to smoke them out of any chance to retrieve their pensions by negotiations over RJ's with over 70 seats.
So lets all stand togeather again and say davy twins BITE ME!!!!! :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

ExUAW said:
OK... so this is what they mean when they say, "... just waiting for the other shoe to drop!" Congrats to all Maintenace and all unions on a victorious FIRST battle. Just watch out for the real meaning of the word "VINDICTIVE" to surface next!
Not worried. The employees are willing to teach upper managment the meanings of the words fear and pain next. They have it comming. Dave the ejection seat buttom is the red one in the middle. The Fin735280 up you have done may be unrepairable, just think about it, as an alternative hook you tie to the rafters and jump.
Sinerely your managment friendly employees!!!
:down: :down: :down: :down: :down: :down: :down: :down: :down:

PineyBob said:
This is a WINNABLE Fight and I have been preaching here to pick your battles wisely. Keep on them, press your advantage, but be willing to compromise. We don't know the make-up of the 3rd circuit, they could be "Labor Friendly" like our pal Dave. Sometimes a truce or ceasefire can be used to advantage, be willing to negotiate as you now have a much stronger position.

Be smart, leverage this victory as you savor it. You all work hard. You deserve this! truly you do.
Dude nothing to negotiate. It's our's...

Let me help you out with this one: You own a car, hold title in your hand, and your boss says it's his, negotiate. Waht do you say???????? <_< <_< <_< <_<

dafeedil said:
PORTION DELETED BY MODERATOR

Sure, I'll admit it, I was for all this "union" stuff many years ago when I worked at British Airways, but that was a different story. What do you guys want? You all still have your jobs, nothings been taken from you, you've still got everything you started with. I am very close to someone who is in Mobile right now working on the Airbusses...(but, gee whiz, not now because of your stupid court injunction), and that person was amazed at the work that those guys were doing down there. No complaining, no bitching, no union backing them up...they did their job and they did it without problem, and they did it right, the first time. What will happen if this goes thru and the Airbusses come up to PIT? Are the facilities there?? Is the manpower there?? Are you all "ready"???? I don't think so. How's about USAir just retires that fleet, isn't that what you want??
You are truely a lost soul. Let me guide you. give me your hand.
Before this comp started f*^#89, with it's folks there was no complaining, no inordinate delays, only timely quality!

Mr. managment like the rest of the world if you want repect------earn it don't attempt to steal it. Very unbecoming of an MBA sc*& bag like yourself.

Please stop trying to insult anyones intelligence. The IAM is the best in the Biz, the other just a fiz[color] please give it a rest your impressing no one.

JetMech said:
Dave can do anything he wants, if we let him!!! If he reduces the fleet, we should act swiftly.
there is not any avenue for reducing the fleet..let it be known...rumors of farce majure are impotent.
there are rumors of several airbuses in the desert...let it be known,they have been overhauled....however...your union has verbage that these aircraft cannot be returned to USAIRWAYS service unless they have been inducted for service with another airline and sent back to the desert.your IAM rep's have and continue to look out for OUR best interests.....
DO NOT LET ANY BLATANT RUMORS DICTATE OUR POSITION ON THESE ISSUES....SEEK INFORMED PEOPLE FROM YOUR LOCAL FOR ANY AND ALL UPDATED INFORMATION.
WE ARE IN SOLIDARITY IN THESE TROUBLED TIMES.WE MUST AND WE WILL STAND TOGETHER REGARDLESS OF ANY OTHER OUTSIDE CONCIDERATIONS.

Nice post, Delldude, I know it's just a wild dream but it would be nice if Hawk and his bros lost a little sleep over their job security today. Pleasant dreams dudes.