Info For J4j's Pilots

BoeingBoy

Veteran
Nov 9, 2003
This is sorta "inside the beltway" information that pertains to the J4J's pilots waiting to go to MDA. I'm posting it here in case they don't see it on the ALPA board. Posted tonight (8/26/04) by the ALPA furlough administrator:

I spoke with [Name] today, and he said he has received clearance to conduct a long term MDA bid, thru Dec, for approximately 120 pilot slots, one class per week, starting in Sept or October. Half captains, half F/Os, I believe.

The slots will be awarded in seniority order, as long as a pilot has completed his 12 month training freeze prior to the start of class. A previously published hold for training will NOT prevent a pilot from taking a class date that his seniority will hold.

PLEASE UPDATE YOUR PREFERENCE FORMS. Deadline for new pref forms has yet to be published, but may be Sunday Sept. 5th, with calling possibly beginning the next day. [Name] office will send a letter out tomorrow.

Thank you.

This board is the only remaining info source for many of us castaways at this point.

BoeingBoy said:
This is sorta "inside the beltway" information that pertains to the J4J's pilots waiting to go to MDA. I'm posting it here in case they don't see it on the ALPA board. Posted tonight (8/26/04) by the ALPA furlough administrator:

I spoke with [Name] today, and he said he has received clearance to conduct a long term MDA bid, thru Dec, for approximately 120 pilot slots, one class per week, starting in Sept or October. Half captains, half F/Os, I believe.

The slots will be awarded in seniority order, as long as a pilot has completed his 12 month training freeze prior to the start of class. A previously published hold for training will NOT prevent a pilot from taking a class date that his seniority will hold.

PLEASE UPDATE YOUR PREFERENCE FORMS. Deadline for new pref forms has yet to be published, but may be Sunday Sept. 5th, with calling possibly beginning the next day. [Name] office will send a letter out tomorrow.
[post="173165"][/post]​

APL pilots might want to think twice before coming to MAA now. Latest company proposal would strip a furloughed pilots recall rights back to mainline USAir if they complete training and then resign from MAA. If you get stuck in the right seat or are bumped back to the right seat by more mainline furloughs it's $37/hr and you are NOT allowed to do ANY outside flying for hire to supplement your income !!!
Swaayze said:
Thank you.

This board is the only remaining info source for many of us castaways at this point.
[post="173639"][/post]​

But,

PSA has not had that restriction proposed, so if JFJ is still something you might be interested int, going to PSA remains as a unrestricted option to APL pilots.

Not a great option, but without the restiction that has been proposed for Midatlantic alone.

U 737 & Rico,

Thanks for pointing that out. With all that's swirling around now, making a decision on MDA is a crap shoot at best, and I omitted that info. It could make a difference for some.

Jim

This is the latest concerning MDA pilot classes posted today (8-31-04) on the ALPA site:

Preference form deadline is Monday Sept 6 at midnight.

Here is a repro of email I sent XXXX and his reply:

Questions:
If a pilot can hold an F/O slot early in the bid, and a captain later in the bid, will he be able to move up in that same bid, or will he have to wait for another bid to get Captain if he takes an FO slot early? Or would he be pay-protected?

Also, what is the process for bidding domiciles? I reported that it was internal to MDA, but I have no details. Does each new class bid for domiciles?

XXXX's reply:

If a pilot is awarded a F/O position he can be "moved up" to a C/O position in a later class date. At that time since he would be occupying a C/O position in that subsequent class we would fill that later class with one less C/O's and one more F/O's. In other words that later class could be 4 captains and 6 first officers or whatever ratio is determined by the number of move ups.

These classes are really new positions at MidAtlantic. Once on the property a pilot will be able to bid for open domicile positions in APL seniority or be able to participate in subsequent domicile bids.

VACANCY PROCESSING SCHEDULE (from XXXX's Office)

PLEASE NOTE: It is important to understand that the classes noted below may be subject to change. The F/O vacancies in the following classes will be available to both the APL pilots and pilots from the wholly owned carriers.

CLASS DATES VACANCIES OPEN CLOSE

MAA 27SEP04 5 CAP 5 FO 07SEP04 10SEP04
MAA 04OCT04 5 CAP 5 FO 07SEP04 10SEP04
MAA 11OCT04 5 CAP 5 FO 07SEP04 10SEP04
MAA 18OCT04 5 CAP 5 FO 07SEP04 10SEP04
MAA 25OCT04 5 CAP 5 FO 07SEP04 10SEP04
MAA 01NOV04 5 CAP 5 FO 07SEP04 10SEP04
MAA 08NOV04 5 CAP 5 FO 07SEP04 10SEP04
MAA 15NOV04 5 CAP 5 FO 07SEP04 10SEP04
MAA 29NOV04 5 CAP 5 FO 07SEP04 10SEP04
MAA 06DEC04 5 CAP 5 FO 07SEP04 10SEP04
MAA 13DEC04 5 CAP 5 FO 07SEP04 10SEP04
MAA 27DEC04 5 CAP 5 FO 07SEP04 10SEP04

All preference updates must be received by midnight, September 6, 2004.

Jim,

The AAA MessageBoard is now only that, a MessageBoard.

All official information is at the Pilots Only ALPA Website (and is available to furloughed and retired pilots as well). MAA and other J4J info can be accessed via the website by going to "Membership Services" and "Jets4Jobs" using the AAA menu system near the top (it is grey), or MEC Quick links on the left.

Do not expect to see official information delivered to the MessageBoard in the future.

UYH

BoeingBoy said:

[post="173165"][/post]​

Not all furloughed pilots. Those that have taken a job with another ALPA express carrier have lost access, the last I heard. Maybe that's changed.

Anyway, if the furlough administrator (the official source, I presume) stops posting this type of info there, I'll stop posting it here.

Jim

Jim,

US Airways Express and participating J4J airline with furloughed US Airways pilots do have access to the Pilots Only website (the furloughed pilots from U have acces). If they do not, there is a problem that needs to be corrected.

Furloughed pilots working for competing airlines (like say Comair) may or may have access, it depends on the airline they work for (they must allow that pilot to have acces to our site and Comair does not), and we must (the MEC Chairman) also allow access.

Again furloughed pilots with Express/J4J do have access (and if they do not should contact the MEC office).

Time to go fly the Atlantic....

BoeingBoy said:
Not all furloughed pilots. Those that have taken a job with another ALPA express carrier have lost access, the last I heard. Maybe that's changed.

Anyway, if the furlough administrator (the official source, I presume) stops posting this type of info there, I'll stop posting it here.

Jim
[post="174684"][/post]​