Interesting Opinion!

Hopeful

Veteran
Dec 21, 2002
The Worst Company in America?
You can invest in a company that isn't downright obsessive about customer service. But one Fool writer wouldn't buy this one for a million bucks.

By Paul Elliott (TMF Rael)
June 22, 2005

Are you familiar with the phrase, "Where do I start?" Finally, I know exactly what that means. Because, honestly, where do I start?

Maybe I should just blurt it out: American Airlines (NYSE: AMR).

No... wait!
I guess I really don't know where to start. But I know where I'm going: I'm going to tell you the only condition under which I would buy a single share of that woeful midair disaster. But first you must hear something. (Bear with me; you will see the connection.)

Every 30 days, I pay darn near $100 for cable and Internet. You probably do, too. Now, I'll be the first to admit... I can't be absolutely certain that I am right in my ongoing payment dispute with my provider, Comcast (Nasdaq: CMCSK), but I do know this: Those folks seem awfully reluctant to take $1,200 per year from me for the rest of my life. You probably think that's an exaggeration, but, really, it's not. At least it wouldn't be had the company's disregard for customer service not hastened my...

"Inevitable switchover to satellite"
That last bit is in quotes because that's exactly what I said to Comcast. I also told them how I was documenting my experience so that should the occasion arise -- say, in a column discussing the importance of customer service -- I would tell you all about it.

Do you think this got a rise out of Comcast? Not one bit. And so goes the second-most audacious corporate act of malfeasance I came across this week. The big one occurred at an airport in Miami. We'll get to that shortly, but let me make one last point before I let this go.

It is my conclusion that Comcast does not really care about its customers (otherwise, they wouldn't leave an ominous message on your machine and then not answer their own phones for two days). Worse, Comcast apparently doesn't care what people say about its lack of customer service -- or how many people they say it to.

This article really is about investing
If you've read my previous columns, you know I lean a bit toward Socially Responsible Investing (SRI) -- at least so far as I won't knowingly invest in companies whose business I don't approve of. Others insist that social conscience and investing don't mix. I respect that opinion.

But that doesn't extend to customer service. If you invest in a company that sells junk, or worse, disrespects or ignores its customers, you are headed for heartache. Say what you will about those value gurus who buy beaten-up disasters as "turnarounds." Unless you see draconian changes under way, walk away.

Experience tells us that no business -- not even a monopoly -- can survive if it doesn't put its customers first. Eventually, folks like you and me will find alternatives. (The Department of Motor Vehicles might be the one exception, but I swear to you, my recent experiences with ours in Maryland have been downright pleasant. What's up with that?)

Because you can't be everywhere
All of which brings me to one major benefit of investing in what we call a "community of like-minded investors." After all, my hero Peter Lynch advocates buying companies whose products you swear by, but that pretty much limits you to consumer and service companies. What if you want to branch out?

I own a Dell (Nasdaq: DELL), for example, and I would recommend one to anybody. I can't necessarily recommend the stock to you personally, but I'd sure give it a hard look. Same with Nordstrom (NYSE: JWN) and XM Satellite (Nasdaq: XMSR), for that matter.

But what about Cisco (Nasdaq: CSCO)? I have a wireless router at home that works just fine, but that's small potatoes. I could read about the products in mags and journals, but where do I get firsthand knowledge of its service and culture -- you know, like the kind I got at the airport this weekend?

I'll take your hand if you take my hand
Now imagine, on the other hand, you hook up with a service like Motley Fool Hidden Gems. Once a stock is recommended, you can bet that someone will pipe up with some real-life experience. If you take the time to get in there and really mix it up, there is no end to the scuttlebutt you can dig up.

And this is important because in the final balance, a company's worth isn't determined on Wall Street, but on Main Street. Put another way, a company without customers is a company without assets. And by the time an experience like the one I had at Miami International Airport shows up in an annual report or analyst report, it's usually too late.

Has this ever happened to you?
I won't bore you with the whole story. Let's just say that the camel's back broke about five hours into my ordeal, as our rag-tag fugitive fleet made its way from Gate A-7 to Gate D-46. By my estimate, we had just about passed the halfway point on a mile-long trek when it happened.

We rounded the last corner and she was standing there, leaning against the wall and looking at a piece of paper in her left hand. A fellow traveler -- a smallish, soft-spoken woman, maybe in her mid- to late 60s -- shuffled up to her and exclaimed, "Oh, thank goodness, are you here to help customers?"

The woman -- and I swear by heaven this is the truth -- looked down at her, straight in the eye and said, "No."

Never disgrace the uniform
For some reason, what kills me is that this unhelpful soul was decked out hat to shoes in American Airlines garb. For crying out loud, do what you want on your own time, but as Cliff Claven would say, don't ever be a "disgrace to the uniform."

Let me emphasize this last point with an example. A while back, I was lucky to meet Howard Shultz, chairman of Starbucks. He related a tale about how just before closing one night he stopped in for coffee and found some trivial aspect of his service not to his liking -- how it enraged him and how he handled it himself the next day.

Now I seriously doubt that American Airlines executives fly their own airline (I know they weren't on my flight Sunday). But a dose of Howard Shultz zeal might do the company some good. Heck, I'd settle for a quick lesson from JetBlue (Nasdaq: JBLU), which I would recommend to my own mother. Starbucks, too.

At last, that one condition
I told you earlier that I would buy American Airlines under one condition. No, Warren Buffett, it's not if I got it at a discount. It's this: If they fire every single employee. Of course, I don't want that to happen. I'm sure there are decent people there. But that infection runs deep -- too deep for my investing dollars, anyway.

And of course my experiences with Comcast and American Airlines may be isolated incidents. Maybe you can overlook them. But I tell you, if Tom Gardner were to recommend a stock like either of these, I'd be out in the community giving you and the rest of my fellow subscribers a heads-up. Just as I'd chime in with my good experiences.

If that type of community intelligence sounds valuable to you, Tom is offering a special 30-day free trial to his Hidden Gems service -- full community access included. (I've even seen Tom out there mixing it up at 2 a.m.) Meanwhile, buy Comcast or American Airlines with fair warning. Better still, click here to find out more about the Hidden Gems free trial.

As of June 21, Hidden Gems recommendations are up on average 34.4% vs. 9.7% for the S&P 500. All picks and results are posted on the Hidden Gems website.

Paul Elliott owns none of the stocks mentioned. JetBlue and Dell are Motley Fool Stock Advisor recommendations. The Motley Fool is investors writing for investors.

Regardless of whata he was flying, the lady should of been offered better service! Idiots like this (the one in Uniform) cause us loss of business everyday.

It's too bad the AA employee had the attitude (assuming the story is true), but the entire premise of the article strikes me as ridiculous.

I'd never own a share of AMR! sounds familiar - sorta like the oft-repeated (yelled at agents) I'll never fly this freakin' airline again!!. Yeah, sure. AA will certainly miss you, cheapass.

It's funny how these cheap asses expect full service from AA, but when they fly JetBlue or SWA, they take what they can get!

Hopeful said:
It's funny how these cheap asses expect full service from AA, but when they fly JetBlue or SWA, they take what they can get!
[post="278316"][/post]​

Aw, c'mon. The lady just asked for some help--maybe just wanted directions. The employee should have tried or referred her. I'm a mech, and do that all the time, and so do a lot of others. We are all sorry she ran into a grouch.

Sadly, there are too many employees who consider passengers nothing more than an annoyance.

In my opinion if someone is in uniform whether on or off duty they represent the company (and each and every other employee). I've helped people when I wasnt even in uniform, (hell, we were happy we had customers.) How difficult is it to direct a passenger to someone else for assistance if what they are asking for is "not your job?"
Free ticket, full fare, or even non-rev, passengers all deserve to be treated with the same courtesy and respect.

$1200 for TV and internet service.

Goes to show how things have changed. People used to expect free TV and pay through the nose to fly. Now they pay through the nose for TV and expect to fly for next to nothing.

Well at least some companies know how to price their product!

TWskyliner said:
In my opinion if someone is in uniform whether on or off duty they represent the company (and each and every other employee). I've helped people when I wasnt even in uniform, (hell, we were happy we had customers.) How difficult is it to direct a passenger to someone else for assistance if what they are asking for is "not your job?"
Free ticket, full fare, or even non-rev, passengers all deserve to be treated with the same courtesy and respect.
[post="278325"][/post]​

If they don't know much or even anything about the airport they are at, cause they were commuting/deadheading home and are waiting for their flight, would you suggest they give them false information? If they are arriving at a gate and the employee near the gate is not a gate agent, and they dont' know basic res entries, how could you expect them to be able to assist the passengers?

AirLUVer said:
If they don't know much or even anything about the airport they are at, cause they were commuting/deadheading home and are waiting for their flight, would you suggest they give them false information? If they are arriving at a gate and the employee near the gate is not a gate agent, and they dont' know basic res entries, how could you expect them to be able to assist the passengers?
[post="278468"][/post]​

How hard is it to say, "I cant help you but I can try and find someone who can?"

First let me start off saying that the AA employee in question should have handled it much better than they did. Maybe this person was a ramper or an AMT and felt it was not of their concern. However it is. A pissed off passneger is one that willunlikely fly AA again if they can avoid it. This of course affects all of us. Once I had an older couple ask me about trasnportation to another part of the terminal. I told them that while I could not really help them myself I would find someone who could. And that's what I did. Hoepfully this couple remembered this the next time they flew.

One things for sure I won't take financial advice from Mr. Elliot. It's quite obvious that Mr. Elliot is talking out of his butt. Anyone who makes financial decisions on one incedent is a fool in my opinion. If you do some research I'm sure you will find these sort of stories about every airline out there. Including Jet Blue and SWA. Or any other company for that matter. Mr. Elliot also puts his ignorance on display when he says AA execs don't fly on their own carrier. Since AA does not have a fleet of corporate jets how does he think they get around? What toped it off for me when he said the only way he would invest in AMR if every employee were fired. Yes he back tracked bu you get the picture.

Another thing I noticed is that sings Jet Blues praises. While Jet Blue is doing okay now what does he think is going to happen when their fuel hedges start to run out? Or when the heavy maintenance starts coming due on their new A320's?
Remember in 2003 when everyone was fawning over jblu. If bought their stock in early 2003 when it was close to $50 a share you would have lost almost $30 a share if you were to sell today.

I wonder if the writer in question (Elliot) contacted AA about the incident. That would have given AA a chance to act on it and report back to him. Perhaps a more complimentary (or none at all) article would have resulted. It is always a good thing to allow a company to clean up its act. Many companies even appreciate the opportunity.

Wretched Wrench said:
I wonder if the writer in question (Elliot) contacted AA about the incident. That would have given AA a chance to act on it and report back to him. Perhaps a more complimentary (or none at all) article would have resulted. It is always a good thing to allow a company to clean up its act. Many companies even appreciate the opportunity.
[post="278508"][/post]​

But that would have taken the wind out of Mr. Elliot's sails, and would have deprived him of a column on 6/22. :rolleyes:

StraaightTaalk said:
But that would have taken the wind out of Mr. Elliot's sails, and would have deprived him of a column on 6/22. :rolleyes:
[post="278541"][/post]​
Rather than beat this topic to a p[ulp, I want to tell of a situation that I witnessed. I was at DFW and saw a passenger approach a Ramper on lunch. He got up from his meal walked over to a station and provided as much information that he could. That started a flood of other passengers asking about gate information and probably stuff he had no clue about. But he stood there for 30 minutes and answered all he could. He made alot of people happy they Chose AA.

But since it isnt bad press you will never see it in print anywhere. So lets take the above arrticle with a grain of salt and just make sure we all provide top level of customer service.

Latest posts