US Airways Customer's Opinions and Comments

Jimmy Neutron

Veteran
Dec 2, 2005
Stories like these go on and on. When will the new US management start addressing the concerns of the customer?
It seems like UA is taking a good bit of our business.

If you are a US Airways Customer or ex-customer we as employees would like to here from you about your travel experiences, good and bad and your thoughts about what you think needs to be changed at the new US Airways.

Well, due to the changes this management has made to the US1 program, I have switched to UA, they matched my status and yesterday I booked $4000 in tickets over the next few weeks. How many people will have to fill my seat on US to make up for that lost revenue?

That is standard operating procedure with myself and all of my coworkers who also travel extensively.....do anything to avoid PHL. Since I have to connect everywhere now from PIT, I end up buying most tickets on United and do the code share and most connections through ORD. Still get the DM and keep Gold for when I do fly US.

The only other option is flying through CLT, however to get to the midwest it is very time consuming....but I'll do that before ever stepping foot in PHL again. And I also have waited longer for alternative flights refusing earlier options that connect through PHL, so what was stated above doesn't surprise me at all.

They really made a mess of things when they pulled PIT....just ask any customer sitting in any waiting area for yet another delayed PHL flight, or many of the poor folks that live there and have no other choice but to utilize that poor excuse of an airport.

From a CP -

1. Treat your employees well, and ensure the new US is a positive work experience for them all. They'll return the favor by being nice to me. It will show if you don't -- in many ways, it already has.

2. Fix PHL. Would you want to fly there if you could avoid it? Why would any of us who have tight schedules to maintain risk PHL's all too frequent delays? Why is front line service there so spotty?

3. Do a better job communicating with your employees and your customers. I'm tired of hearing rumors. Spread a little good news for once.

4. Don't tell me you're making the DM program "rich" when you erode its value by offering silly promotions that give away Chairman's for 18 segments. Bring back roll-over. Don't F with companion upgrades. Stop telling me how special I am only to try sticking it to me every chance you get.

5. Stick a sock in your inflight commercials. I don't care. They now haunt me in my sleep I hear them so often. I can't imagine how your FA's must feel.

6. Tell me, have you ever enjoyed flying an RJ on a two hour + flight? No? What then makes you think I do? Why wouldn't I crawl on AA or UA and get a more comfortable seat for less money?

7. Enhance the F product. I don't often pay for my F seat, and you don't always have an upgrade for me. When I'm up front, tho, either on my dime or as your way of saying thanks, I'd rather not have to have someone else's used kleenex in the seat back, I don't want XO crumbs all over mine, and I'd like something other than that damn turkey pastrami thingy you call a sandwich. The princess who complains about your plastic cups might be on to something, but in the grand scheme of things, I'll drink out of your plastic if you'd take a little better care of the environment around me.

8. Stop treating me like you're doing me a HUGE favor by upgrading me. I appreciate the upgrades. But I also gave you $52,000 last year and that's $52,000 I could just as easily spend on someone else. Let my thank you suffice. I won't, in turn, cop an attitude that says "I had it coming." If I was paying for my F seat, I'd expect more. And frankly, if you think the jeans and flip flop crowd you might replace me with will be more loyal, well, they were looking for low fares when they found yours, weren't they? You really think you can compete without me? Fine. At this point, sizing up your competition, I would have a better flying experience on almost everyone else. And that's a downright shame.

9. Don't become WN. I hate hokey.

10. Don't tell me you're a LCC when you're charging me $1400 for a flight that costs $290 on a competitor.

11. Put those damn 757's out of their misery. They hurt my @$$ and who is the moron that decided 8 seats in F was enough anyway?

12. Realize "Natural Selection" has never worked in US' favor. Don't take that out on me. It's as much an inconvenience to me that some bafoon thinks a used refrigerator box is a perfectly acceptable carryon. He's making me late, too.

13. I miss PIT too. I miss Peidmont. I miss USAir. Life goes on, yes - but we have choices. The new US is a lot more like the old HP. You aren't fooling me. And remember, I hate hokey.

14. First impressions are everything. "Pardon our dust" is getting really old.

15. Why is it taking 50 minutes or more for me to get my bags from HP at DCA?

1. Bring back the rollover. Even if you only let us carryover 25K or so. Or have an expiration date for rolled over tier miles. I was loyal to US, why are you penalizing me? Oh, and don't lie and say that your IT Department can't figure out how to program rollover into the DM program.

2. Respond to our comments, emails, calls. When you say you are going to call me back, call me back.

3. Stop thinking we are stupid. When you say that you are going to take the best of FlightFund and the old DM program and merge it into the new DM program--follow through on it. Don't think we think that when you send us an email about exciting changes to the DM program that we are going to believe you when the next two paragraphs of the email talk about taking away advance upgrades on a N fare and the rolloever "exception".

4. I take exception to US referring to rollover of tier miles as an exception. It was not an exception. It was the practice of US like it is the practice of other airlines. Rollover doesn't cost you a dime. Then again, not having rollover cost you $4000 in revenue for the next few weeks when I canceled my US flights and booked them all on UA.

5. Why does it take me longer to get my bags in PHL than the flight between BOS and PHL.

6. Why no tier mile bonuses for high fares. This is another benefit that costs you nothing but instead rewards your customers for purchasing high fares. Every other major carrier offers this. This is another reason I am flying UA.

7. Don't think that because you believe PHL has a lot of non-stops, you can treat your VFF likes dirt. We won't tolerate it and we will, and have, gone elsewhere. At least when I connect through ORD, UA serves me a delicious meal on that 2 hour flight.

8. Your FC product is crap and you charge the same as the majors who have a product that is so much better. Like me, your management would be shocked to see how UA treats you on a PHL-LAX or PHL-SFO or PHL-DEN flight. It's almost like you are in bizzaro Seinfeld world the service and amenities are fantastic.

9. The customers and employees in the East are important--don't forget about them. Start issuing press releases about new service in the East.

10. Stop blaming all of the changes on merger pains--take responsibility for your actions.

11. No companion upgrades until the gate--you have got to be kidding me. I guess my companion, who is loyal to no airline, will book elsewhere if they can't sit in FC with me. I guess I will book elsewhere also--UA offers it.

12. Define the new US.

1. Get fares rationalized.

2. Stop screwing the VFFs, especially the ones that stuck with the airline through the bad times....wait a second, the bad times really are right now and loads of CPs are leaving.

3. NO LONG HAUL RJs.

Jimmy Neutron, your hearts in the right place, but this is no place to put these kinds of things. I'm going to puke on my own shoes if I have to keep saying this, but if you people want something done then we need to have the ability to track complaints so we can prioritize what to fix. The place to do that is through a call/email/letter to Customer Relations. The boys and girls running the show are all beancounters, and that's what they're going to understand.

And as for you:

Stop lying! You've littered this board with all kinds of facts about how awful we've made the DM program. Well, unfortunately, when one let's the facts get in one's way, you miss out on the quiet whispering of the truth. Yes, facts are important, and essentially everything you've posted about the change to the DM program are facts. However, there are some troubling facts that you've failed to mention that bring more to light about your particular situation. The decision was made by the company to upgrade Preferreds/Elites a full day earlier than had been traditionally done, and than is done on other carriers. This decision was made based on the feedback of, apparently, more VFFs than you. They said that they valued the upgrade more than the other gimmees. No decision is easy when looking at what the VFFs want because we do understand the money you bring to the table.

The simple fact is this: we can sell one $4000 ticket, or we can sell 20 $400 tickets - that's $8000. We'd rather do both, which is why while some bennies have gone away for you, others have been improved. If you don't like the improvements at the expense of others, and prefer those that are offered at UA, then by all means, go: we live in a free market society. Because I guarantee you, UA is going to do something to royally p#ss you off someday, and you'll wonder why you gave up your CP status on US. I see it every day. And if you don't want to come back, every other airline will match your status as a one-time courtesy: every last one, including US. That all boils down to the truth.

If you can take the time and energy to make your daily vents here, then you can do the same to CR. I know you have, and that's much appreciated. But getting my colleagues all in a worry that our company is going down is unwarranted, unfair, and untrue.

And as a side note to everyone else that feels it's more effective to flood executive inboxes with emails than to log concerns through the appropriate Customer Relations channels: it's not. I'm not defending anyone, and I'm not making excuses. If someone says they're going to call you back, and it's a legitimate concern, they should. There's a fantastic little film called The Incredibles where in the opening scenes Mr. Incredible is rushing to stop a robbery before sliding into his wedding to the future Mrs. Incredible. But doubts are cast on his ability to complete the task at hand. Why? Well, a little old lady steps out into the middle of the street, causing his high-speed chase to careen to a full stop, to implore him to get her cat out of a tree. Now, near anyone could have done this task, but she just had to get the busiest person to stop and do it. He did stop the robbery as well, because he's Mr. Incredible, but at a cost of doing something for the common good. The Incredibles they ain't, but they can't respond to every single complaint personally that crosses their desks, either.

Stop lying!

You are as disillusioned as the people in Tempe.

And no, Barbell, they did not improve the upgrade policy for US1's. They've made it worse. We could upgrade 7 days before flight departure before and and now--no change at all. But, now, our companions will not be able to upgrade at the same window---so, I have no idea who you are talking to, but the upgrade policy has not improved. You are the liar if we are going to be calling each other names.

You are the liar that Customer Service cares. Talk to the many US1's who have received firsthand the caring attitude of Customer Service by not receiving a response to a concern or complaint. Talk to the US1 desk people who are getting complaints about rollover and companion upgrades etc.

GIMMEES? What are you talking about? If you think a companion upgrade is a gimmee you are whacked. If you think rollover is a gimmee, you are even crazier. Rollover costs the airline NOTHING but instills loyalty in their most FF's. No, I am not a VIP US1, but I sent (past tense) a lot of business to US.

You don't want to hear what I am saying...press ignore...its easy. I am mad that I had to spend a few hours getting my paperwork together and faxing it to UA for a status match. I am mad that an airline I once enjoyed flying and is more convenient has spit in the face of its loyal customers. I am mad that your oh so wonderful Doogie has lied to the DM members about an even better program keeping me loyal to the airline and then just before yearend, saying, ooops, maybe we were lying to keep you flying--sorry, we're taking AWAY the best features, not keeping them.

So, Mr. Barbell....who's the liar--I think it is Doogie. He lied to the customers when this merger happened and he promised the best of both FlightFund and DM.

You are 1000% correct. But without knowing what, specifically, hasn't been returned, then how can any of us know if it's true? And if all one does is email repeatedly on the same issue, then, no, the multiple emails/phone calls won't be returned. And why should they? If one person makes his voice heard about a matter which they feel passionate about, that will suffice as a voice. There's no need to bring it up repeatedly. That's why everyone needs to voice their concerns through the appropriate channels. Now, if you feel as if you aren't valued, then you probably aren't. I'm not saying that's the case. I have it on good authority that the Snack Basket, for instance, isn't going away, and that Envoy Class will continue to be called Envoy Class, not Business Class, as was proposed. We've wasted a lot of posts on mere rumors.

I apologize if I came off as sounding scolding. I was merely trying to point out that clogging a person's inbox mine, Doug's, Travis's, yours, or anyone else's, will only keep them from 1) responding, and 2) doing something about your concerns. This is not the usual "just wait" mantra. I'm getting sick of it, too. But if you've expressed your dissatisfaction, then let it rest. I guarantee we're looking at it. The decisions with which everyone is so unhappy did not get made overnight, and they won't get unmade in that way either. Past Management absolutely ran this airline in to the ground, and we genuinely appreciate you sticking by us through it all. Unfortunately, it's just going to take more than a click of the heels to undo everything that's already been done.

We've already seen drastic improvements in some areas, which will make improvements in others. I think you'd agree to that. Now all we need to do is get the ball rolling consistently in these areas, and that is being done; to wit: Tony Grantham's arrival in PHL, no Holiday meltdown, and additional equipment where it was needed. Tools are getting where they need to go. If some people are unhappy with the pace, then, one hates to say it, but there are others out there who want your business as badly as we do.

And here's another thought to mull over. For what it's worth, this industry has been irrevocably, drastically changed. IMHO, for the worst, and for a variety of reasons. UA, and anyone else for that matter, can continue to offer their premium product, but if they continue to dollar-for-dollar match everyone else' price, they just can't keep that model going. It's simple Econ 101. We're testing rationalized fares and gauging the response. If the public responds, then they'll go nationwide, plain and simple. We're tweaking the DM program, and gauging the response. If what we've done doesn't work, we'll tweak it some more. Believe me, you are being heard.

The fact that you ignore Barbell, is that Doug Parker LIED. Plain and Simple. He told the customers that the DM program would be better, not worse and he has only made it worse. And, the people he has hurt most are the US1's.

You are the liar if we are going to be calling each other names.

No one called you a liar. I merely pointed out that you had lied by omitting facts. I apologize if you feel that we started a name-calling match.

If you feel that you aren't valued, and you've expressed that concern, then you aren't. Please enjoy UA's superior product at our expense.

And I haven't ignored a thing. Things are in the crapper right now. No one's denying that. Plain and simple, though, many of the things that were rumored to be going away haven't. The Snack Basket is staying. Envoy Class is Envoy Class. HP Elites have a higher tier to use in CP, US Preferreds no longer need to pay for upgrades. And, God forbid, we keep the opportunity to sell that coveted F class seat by asking your companion to upgrade at the gate. I'm truly sorry you don't like the changes that have been made, but you really aren't telling the whole story in your posts. Unfortunately, prior m/Management kept the kitty box too open in too many areas, and you rightly became accustomed to them. These things do cost money, and they will further hurt the financial health of this company far more than losing a few disillusioned FFs. Don't shoot the messenger.