Intl Capacity Cuts and A330

And when we were PI we flew them from TPA-CLT-LGW and TPA-BWI-LGW, I worked in TPA Air Cargo and we were the fifth busiest cargo station in the system cause of the LGW flights, as they both orginated in TPA.

They also flew to MIA.

I remember the 767 flying PHL-LAX a lot and was told that the A330 couldn't physically do it because of the gate space you mention. I believe it never made the SFO route either because that little satellite terminal (now demolished) at SFO was too tight.

I don't think it's fair to say SW threw a hissy fit because one of their gates would be unusable while a US A330 sat at an adjacent one. I think any airline(including US) would raise a bit of a fuss if a competing airline did the same thing.

It's actually VERY fair to say they threw a hissy fit, because they did! If US had kept gate 14, it would not have been a problem though.

They did and continue to do everything in their power to get US out of T1 so they can further expand. Right now they are maxed out gate usage wise. They park 2 RON's in the odd side (East) alley every night. I don't know if they still do, but they did have problems fitting the 700's with winglets in the odd gates.

It's actually VERY fair to say they threw a hissy fit, because they did! If US had kept gate 14, it would not have been a problem though.

They did and continue to do everything in their power to get US out of T1 so they can further expand. Right now they are maxed out gate usage wise. They park 2 RON's in the odd side (East) alley every night. I don't know if they still do, but they did have problems fitting the 700's with winglets in the odd gates.
Thank you. You said, in a much more elegant manner, what I was going to say. Keeping gate 14 would have neutered the "hissy fit" from SWA.

Short sighted management continues to minimize options and potential agility as well as revenue opportunities. Tempe seems quite adept at shooting themselves (ourselves) in the foot, time and again.

Latest posts

Back