Intl Service restoration for PIT

Rob

Senior
Aug 19, 2002
OK, it isn't London, but the company advised the DOT Friday that PIT-CUN service would resume not later than June 15th.

It's a start. :)

OK, it isn't London, but the company advised the DOT Friday that PIT-CUN service would resume not later than June 15th.

It's a start. :)

Thats great but dont get your hopes up Rob - Just make the move to the PHILTHpit and you can do intl - but congrats on the CUN!!

Even if US downsizes PIT more than it has I still believe PIT-FRA on the 762 could be profitable for US even though the connecting feed would be limited.

Regards

LGA777

If PIT-FRA was profitable, why was it stopped?

Spite. Trying to get the county to capitulate.

Sat next to about 7 guys from PIT all the way to FRA a few months a go from Bayer. UA RJs to IAD and then on from there. Everyone in paid biz.

But forget about that--if we follow the logic about "if it was profitable" they'd have to shut the entire airline down.

Spite. Trying to get the county to capitulate.

Sat next to about 7 guys from PIT all the way to FRA a few months a go from Bayer. UA RJs to IAD and then on from there. Everyone in paid biz.

But forget about that--if we follow the logic about "if it was profitable" they'd have to shut the entire airline down.

Very True. I always paid for Envoy when I took the flight. Always went SCE-PIT-FRA. Now I fly to CLT or take LH from JFK to avoid PHL....... My guess is that they do bring the flight back.

Many and I mean MANY of the flights dropped from PIT were out of spite. The whole downsizing of PIT was purely due to words between Roddey and Siegel and lets not forget Bronner the bonehead. A deal was inches away. I agree the city never seemed to support Usairways but how could they when the whole area had to deal with the fares and destinations. It was like Aeroflot out of PIT. The airline screwed the city but offered jobs. A deal could have been worked out.

I seriously doubt flights were dropped for spite, I mean come on folks.

Spite? Honestly? I am sure the whole pull-down in PIT was nothing more than an evil corporate empire putting the hurt on politicians and media types that liked to dwell on the negatives. The good folks of SW Penn. need to stop taking this so personally.

PIT-FRA went away because it competed with CLT & PHL to FRA, and someone dug through the data and figured out enough people would stay on US with a connection to the point they could use the plane somewhere else and make more money with it. 7 Bayer executives on one day do not a profitable daily transatlantic flight make. If US lost Bayer's FRA business to UA I'd fault the sales department, not the lack of non-stop service.

If you hadn't noticed Siegel and Bronner are long gone. I think what will bring a hub back to PIT is a population base that would support it, and that would probably take an industry on the likes of steel in its day.

In the long run PIT will be seen as more of a victim of WN rather than a beneficiary of it. Some non-stop markets will come back and fares will come down but they'll never see the frequencies and breadth of service a hub provided, and that will hinder the attraction of new business and population growth.