Is the end of USAir near?

ForTheTide,

If you've been reading these boards as long as you say you have, than you'd know I'm not a pilot.

OldGuyInPa,

I would have thought by now you could come up with a compelling counter-debate, but instead resort to the yawn-inducing, tried and true anti-management shtick. At least display some creativity if you're going to put down my viewpoint, please.[:bigsmile:] Even though we've never met, I'll know how to find you when you succeed in tanking your company. You'll be the guy in the unemployment line telling proud tales of how you beat management and took down US Airways to preserve your dignity.

It appears that some pilot types that are quick to throw in their opinions about the maintenance, ramp and reservations on message boards should look in the mirror. Allot of other employees feel they still make too much for to little productivity and that is one of this airlines troubles. Not to mention how obnoxious they can appear. "Mother always said to mind your own business".

Agreed, UAL777flyer!

Former Eastern Airlines mechanics will be the first to tell you that a moral victory isn't useful for mortgage payments or buying groceries.

As i have stated before, if your cant look at all of this mess and say that greed and the worshipping of the all mighty dollar didnt get us here what did? I hate the fact that a lot of great iam guys are gonna have to pay a larger price than if they had voted for the agreement... Hopefully the type people who want to see this company go u nder , will be the very people seigal and the judge will get out of here! Hopefully what good employees we have left can stick together and try our best to provide a little bit of the great product that we have left to give, which isnt too much huh [::)]

For all the chest pounding , full pay to the last day crowd . Pick up your local newspaper in the morning and go to the classified employment section and start reading . Hummm , lets see , Waffle House needs a 3rd shift cook , Cracker Barrel is hiring , SRJ Trucking needs a driver , Cass Co. needs a fork lift driver(must be certified)...the list goes on .
Oh , I forgot we're all highly trained and highly skilled airline employees , pilots , mechanics , flight attendants , and customer service types . Here is a job for us - Progress Technologies has an opening for an engineering position , minimum qualifications is a Masters in electronic engineering or a BS in electronic engineering with at least 5 years experience , high degree of proficiency with CAD program , be able to work well with others in R&D , starting pay .......$28,500 a year . Starting to get the picture ?
Folks its time to get your head out of the sand and look around . If U goes into Ch7 what are YOU going to do ? Better hope your spouse makes big $$ or you have a nice trust fund or pray you win the Super PowerBall . One thing is for sure , it cost money to live.....especially the life style many of us have grown accustom to .

"the real enemy has not shown their face/faces yet"

Walk on egg shells until the deed is done...

(argentomaranello)

It doesn't seem to matter to you what-so-ever if the IAM or the CWA have been asked to give more than what is fair, it only matters if U survives in your mind. You are filled with fear, and have no honor or principle to stand on. The resolve of the IAM and CWA is the stuff that makes this life worth living. I for one will stand for what is right, whatever the cost, I will stand. When this whole thing is over, and whatever the out come is, I will not live in regret, but move forward with my head held high.

fadec and repeet,
Your description of the mechanics problem with mangement and the IAM are excellent. However, lets not be to hard on Argento. He is looking at this from a different perspective. He has been posting in one forum or another about USAirways for a long time. Many of us look forward to his posts and gain insights from his views, which are candid, honest, and well thought out. As far as the big picture is concerned, he is probably correct that our company loses some manueverability if it is tied up in court.But I for one have to respect the mechanics decision no matter where it leads us. Dave S has done some good things since he has been here, he has also done some unpopular but necessary things. But it is a big mistake to give low rated management retro bonuses and give top rated workers a retro paycut while at the same touting a labor friendly new culture management. I want to belive in Dave, but he is going to have to walk the walk if he is going to talk the talk.

Drinking what's left of my U retirement...one beer at a time.

I believe a big reason for USAIRWAYS financial problems is due to the extremely high salarys the pilots make...For the limited number of hours they can do their job...

How about an age limit of 45 for USAIRWAYS pilots to help insure their physical and mental fitness....
[:bigsmile:]

----------------
On 8/30/2002 12:52:25 AM

(argentomaranello)

It doesn't seem to matter to you what-so-ever if the IAM or the CWA have been asked to give more than what is fair, it only matters if U survives in your mind. You are filled with fear, and have no honor or principle to stand on. The resolve of the IAM and CWA is the stuff that makes this life worth living. I for one will stand for what is right, whatever the cost, I will stand. When this whole thing is over, and whatever the out come is, I will not live in regret, but move forward with my head held high.

----------------

After US Airways is liquidated and you're out of work, be sure to repeat this passionate speech to the collection agents who begin calling your home in an attempt to get you to pay your late bills. I'm sure they could use a good laugh.

The best term I can use to describe you and other like-thinking individuals would be "glittering jewel of colossal ignorance." I hope your family understands that they're going without solely because daddy wanted to maintain some sense of pride.

Hey...isn't that one of the seven deadly sins, anyway? [;)]

----------------
OAfter US Airways is liquidated and you're out of work, be sure to repeat this passionate speech to the collection agents who begin calling your home in an attempt to get you to pay your late bills. I'm sure they could use a good laugh.

The best term I can use to describe you and other like-thinking individuals would be "glittering jewel of colossal ignorance." I hope your family understands that they're going without solely because daddy wanted to maintain some sense of pride.

Hey...isn't that one of the seven deadly sins, anyway? [;)]
----------------
It is very obvious with repeat smokescreens like these that people are more concerned with their own bills and collectors, not that of the other person to whom their finger is pointed. Their personal financial business may well be taken care of for all you know, and is certainly unknown to the general public, and furthermore is none of anyone's business.

N305AS wrote:

After US Airways is liquidated and you're out of work, be sure to repeat this passionate speech to the collection agents who begin calling your home in an attempt to get you to pay your late bills. I'm sure they could use a good laugh.

To weather the storms in life, you need an anchor my friend, if you live long enough this will not be your the only storm.

Hey...isn't that one of the seven deadly sins, anyway?

No, I believe the devil, played by Al Pacino in “Devil’s Advocate” said VANITY was his favorite sin.

[:devil:]

mind-boggling.

----------------
On 8/30/2002 12:52:25 AM

----------------

Lets get something straight. I'm an investor, not a USAir employee. In past years, my own investments in USAir did very well. But this last month saw what remained of my investment in USAir (really a token position) essentially wiped out. Yet I do maintain an investing interest in civil aviation (somewhere out there is some real opportunity), and I continue to hold a special fondness for USAir and all of the people I've come to know who derive a living from it.

I'm not particularly impressed with those parocial arguments advanced by those members of the holdout work groups. Principle? Honor? What in the world is that all about. The question on the table is survival.

One more time. The balance of the industry is mortified about the thought of USAir and United Airlines, via bankruptcy, destroying what remains of the domestic pricing structure. The generalized fear is that the whole industry, save Southwest, will be compelled to resort to Chapter 11. Delta and American, in particular, see their best (maybe their last) shot at deraiiling the UAL-U express as fragmenting (liquidating USAir RIGHT NOW. Embroiling USAir in the 1113 litigation over rejecting the IAM-M and CWA contracts will deprive this airline of most of its anticipated DIP funding and make it that much easier for Mullin and Carty to approach the USAir secured creditors about a deal to take on the equipment and related debt (sans the USAir employees, of course). This is the doomsday scenario for USAir, and it appears to be well along now, courtesy of some principled and honorable folks over at the IAM-M and the CWA.

----------------
On 8/30/2002 10:07:14 AM

This is the doomsday scenario for USAir, and it appears to be well along now, courtesy of some principled and honorable folks over at the IAM-M and the CWA.
----------------

To Argento:
Hey, partner...the CWA hasn't rejected anything yet. We haven't even seen anything to vote on, so before you lump us into a statement like the above...please be sure you know what you're talking about! thanks.

Latest posts