Is time running out on DCA, LGA or BOS

Again LGA days are numbered. As I posted earlier, they have already started pulling time out.

sky high states: Ohhhh, you're brilliant. Have you checked other base reductions? HUH? Check out the CLT "extra positions" lines. Over SIXTY EXTRA POSITIONS ARE GONE. Should they be screaming your mantra......"the sky is falling......the sky is falling".

LGA lost "NINE" EXTRA POSITIONS.

only stating opinions

Boston and DCA have approximately 70 mainline flights a day each, with many RON ac. About half as many as PHL, which has about 140 mainline flights a day. Don't know about DCA but hotels in Boston are very expensive. Probably cheaper to keep a base than to overnight all those crews. LGA on the other hand is primarily an express station. Parker mentioned in a recent crew meeting that NY isn't going to grow and isn't a huge money maker. If they do close another base LGA would probably go next.
Agree....

You can not find a hotel in DCA...... if you do it is very, very expensive..... same for IAD....

Those who commute.... for IAD stay in Leesburg.... a good 30miles west of IAD... out in the boonies..

Hotel expense for the company is very expensive... and would be prudent to keep a base to keep overnights at local hotels at a minimum..

From a network standpoint BOS is probably the most in danger. No one airline has a definitive advantage in BOS. DL is adding small markets that US had. The current facilites are not used to their maximum potential. FL and B6 are adding service.

LGA and DCA as slot controlled airports are inherently valuable and LGA has more destinations. US has an enormous amount of pricing and network power in CLT, PHL, and DCA.

The only silver lining is that AA has cut back and DL never came in with a large expansion.

The major hamstring remains the CRJ contracts. The current management has been very vocal in stating that there are too many. As soon as they are up the express fleet will shrink again and a lot of BOS cities are CRJ routes. It is a forgone conclusion that CLT, PHL, DCA and LGA will get the 70 and 90 seaters.

US will never give up LGA and DCA slots so they will fly a kite to keep them active.

Mark my words, BOS is now the weakest link. :(

From a network standpoint BOS is probably the most in danger. No one airline has a definitive advantage in BOS. DL is adding small markets that US had. The current facilites are not used to their maximum potential. FL and B6 are adding service.

LGA and DCA as slot controlled airports are inherently valuable and LGA has more destinations. US has an enormous amount of pricing and network power in CLT, PHL, and DCA.

The only silver lining is that AA has cut back and DL never came in with a large expansion.

The major hamstring remains the CRJ contracts. The current management has been very vocal in stating that there are too many. As soon as they are up the express fleet will shrink again and a lot of BOS cities are CRJ routes. It is a forgone conclusion that CLT, PHL, DCA and LGA will get the 70 and 90 seaters.

US will never give up LGA and DCA slots so they will fly a kite to keep them active.

Mark my words, BOS is now the weakest link. :(
As I've stated earlier, BOS and DCA both have about 70 mainline flights each day. Half the amount of PHL. If you read the Q & A on the hub, DCA, PHL, CLT and BOS are picking up the flying from PIT. Nothing mentioned about LGA gaining anytime. Also, Parker stated in a recent crew meeting that NYC is not a great money maker. Most of the slots in LGA are for express flights. Are you saying that mainline flights out of BOS are switching to express? If so, what is your source? If there is going to be another base closing, I believe it will be LGA.

Nothing mentioned about LGA gaining anytime. Also, Parker stated in a recent crew meeting that NYC is not a great money maker. Most of the slots in LGA are for express flights.

SKY high states: Do some homework online. NYC has over 45 MAINLINE flights per day. Originators and terminators reflect how many HOTEL ROOMS in NYC are required per night. Five flights terminate everynight in NYC. That's 30 ROOMS the company would need each night, because the terminating CREW would NOT BE LEGAL to operate the originators in THE MORNING.
So, Five additional crews would be needed to operate those morning flights. Would you be able to reduce the layover time to airport property instead of downtown? Possibly. Can the company get a hotel room in NYC under say, $100.00 bucks per night............(X) times, 30 ROOMS?

Do the same homework for Boston and DCA...............the number and DOLLARS add up quickly.

only stating opinions

SKY high states: Do some homework online. NYC has over 45 MAINLINE flights per day. Originators and terminators reflect how many HOTEL ROOMS in NYC are required per night. Five flights terminate everynight in NYC. That's 30 ROOMS the company would need each night, because the terminating CREW would NOT BE LEGAL to operate the originators in THE MORNING.
So, Five additional crews would be needed to operate those morning flights. Would you be able to reduce the layover time to airport property instead of downtown? Possibly. Can the company get a hotel room in NYC under say, $100.00 bucks per night............(X) times, 30 ROOMS?

Do the same homework for Boston and DCA...............the number and DOLLARS add up quickly.
only stating opinions
Does the 45 mainline flights include JFK? The hotel situation in NY has always been a problem. It has always been difficult to find affordable and decent rooms for flight crews. Because of this, I don't believe LGA will close either. Also, are their only 5 RON a/c in LGA? In Boston their are at least 17. I just think LGA is the most vulnerable out of the 3 focus city crew bases.

Just heard a rumor of LAX base start up at the TC in CLT-----PSA dudes that are left would be happy I bet----seems like the BOS would be a logical base closeure ---though still n/s service from couple citys pairs out west---there must be 15 or so bus overnites in BOS.

Just heard a rumor of LAX base start up at the TC in CLT-----PSA dudes that are left would be happy I bet----seems like the BOS would be a logical base closeure ---though still n/s service from couple citys pairs out west---there must be 15 or so bus overnites in BOS.
Can you elaborate? What is the reasoning after all these years?

What do you mean about n/s from cities out west-to LAX or to the east?

Logical how?

Are you sure you didn't mean LAS? I would think if any base is going to be opened or in this case major influx of time (since LAS is a small RSV base for AWA) that it would be LAS since LAX really doesn't have "that many" flights and only to the hubs. Maybe if it was a tri base and was responsible for SNA, ONT, LGB, and LAX kind of like AS does.

Latest posts