Who's Your Daddy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandy Eggo

Nov 7, 2008
Doug gets scrappy!!!

US Airways Group CEO Doug Parker shot back at Continental Airlines CEO Jeff Smisek today for calling the Tempe-based carrier the “ugly girl” in the two airlines’ courtship of United Airlines.

Here’s the full text of a memo Parker sent to US Airways workers today:

Fellow Employees:

A number of you have contacted me asking about Continental CEO Jeff Smisek’s “ugly girl” comment yesterday. In case you haven’t seen it, when announcing their plans to merge with United Airlines yesterday, Mr. Smisek said, “I didn’t want (United CEO Glenn Tilton) to marry the ugly girl. I wanted him to marry the pretty one.” The ugly girl was a clear reference to US Airways. Like me, many of you found his comment both chauvinistic and offensive to the hard-working people of US Airways.

First, you should know that Jeff sent me an apology, stating that he “got carried away in the moment,” “really felt badly” and “had no good excuse.” I believe Jeff was sincere in his apology, have accepted it on behalf of all of us and am ready to move past it.

Having said that, the e-mails I’ve received from many of you suggest this comment hit a nerve so I wanted to give you my views. As one of you simply put it, “Why are we the ugly girl?” The answer, of course, is we are not and there’s no better evidence of that than our recent performance.

In fact, we are performing better than Continental on almost all of the important metrics of our business. Financially, we each reported first-quarter financial results in the past two weeks, and while we both lost money, we both lost much less than last year. However, US Airways’ rate of improvement was much better than Continental’s, driven by both higher revenue growth and better cost control. On an absolute basis, our profit margins are now higher than Continental’s.

Operationally, we’re performing much better than Continental in the primary customer service metric of on-time performance. US Airways jets arrived on time more often than Continental’s during the first-quarter 2010, and we also outperformed them in on-time during all of 2009 and 2008. We are also now neck and neck with Continental in areas like baggage and complaints. This is all being noticed by the outside world, as US Airways’ stock price is up 42 percent so far this year, while Continental’s is up 15 percent, even after announcing their merger.

Bottom line, I think both of our airlines are doing a great job in a challenging business -- but if I were them, I wouldn’t be pointing fingers.

Reactions: 3 people
Dougie you crack me up. In your dreams the USAirways you have created could hold on to CAL"s trash, let alone DARE to compare that you are in their league. Truly US is currently the ugly or more PC, unwanted date. Since the five years post-merger US is done nothing but go down hill and loose almost all respect by it's competitors, the industry and it's ONCE loyal passengers.
What is really sad is US is FULL of great and dedicated employees, but continues to be cursed with POOR, useless senior mgmt and a mediocre product. Yes they are STILL constantly re-arranging the deck chairs on the titanic. Only a miracle ie., another company, brand and top notch NEW mgmt can save US. If not they are doomed, I am afraid , to fail.
God Save US!!!

Reactions: 2 people
Dougie you crack me up. In your dreams the USAirways you have created could hold on to CAL"s trash, let alone DARE to compare that you are in their league. Truly US is currently the ugly or more PC, unwanted date. Since the five years post-merger US is done nothing but go down hill and loose almost all respect by it's competitors, the industry and it's ONCE loyal passengers.
What is really sad is US is FULL of great and dedicated employees, but continues to be cursed with POOR, useless senior mgmt and a mediocre product. Yes they are STILL constantly re-arranging the deck chairs on the titanic. Only a miracle ie., another company, brand and top notch NEW mgmt can save US. If not they are doomed, I am afraid , to fail.
God Save US!!!

Aw nuts...I thought the whole CEO dissin' each other was fun. I should have brought this up in the Galley Show.

Take it Away Gloria, , Dog Wonder, etc.

Whatever , It was uncalled for and unprofessional for a man of his calibur .We are not in kindergarten. I do wish the new UNITED all the best though .

Doug please tell me you didn't write that with a straight face! CO a/c are next to immaculate and the product blows ours away. Put down the drink and focus on fixing it. Maybe you need to watch the movie Never Been Kissed? God this place is hopeless! Don't worry there is someone in the parking lot ready to rAApe it for all it's worth.

Reactions: 1 person
Since the five years post-merger US is done nothing but go down hill
Because US pre-merger was riding so high? :lol:

Since the five years post-merger US
has operated out of bankruptcy during a fuel crisis, financial meltdown, H1N1, and all the other crazy stuff airlines had nary an inkling of five years ago? If these people are as severely amateurish and you'd like to paint them then they must have damn good luck.

nothing but go down hill
Whoa whoa, let's not be too objective. The numbers speak for themselves, there has been solid improvements year over year. I suggest listening to this audio interview of our COO explaining them. Doesn't it feel a bit silly criticizing a CEO for defending his airline?

Reactions: 5 people
Jeff Smisek’s “ugly girl” comment was both funny and dead on, IMHO

Maybe Jeff was wrong for his comment, but Truth be told..... Who is better Qualified to Run the New United, Jeff with his ill Advised Comment or a Drunk that doesnt have the sense to get a Cab or Limo??????????

Yes his comment was wrong to All of US, but how many of us have said something wrong in the heat of the moment? As they always say, ACTIONS SPEAK LOUDER THAN WORDS!!!!!

Reactions: 3 people
Maybe Jeff was wrong for his comment, but Truth be told..... Who is better Qualified to Run the New United, Jeff with his ill Advised Comment or a Drunk that doesnt have the sense to get a Cab or Limo??????????

Yes his comment was wrong to All of US, but how many of us have said something wrong in the heat of the moment? As they always say, ACTIONS SPEAK LOUDER THAN WORDS!!!!!
If I had to try and please all u guys every day I might have too much to drink once in a while myself!

Jeff probably should watch what he says considering what he hooked up with. look on any list one thing you can count on look under US and you'll see UA somewhere....lol

yes, all over Asia and Australia. US couldn't even operate one lousy flight to China.

and they don't send minors to the wrong destination like your beloved Continental

just because you go to a lot of locations and suck at it big deal

LOL!!! Thank you Master of the Obvious! :lol: :lol: :lol:

So who of us don't know the above????

Status
Not open for further replies.