JetBlue Discrimination?

Cruz32K

Aug 19, 2002
www.usaviation.com
Why is it a norm for JetBlue to discriminate against Job Applicants who do not live on Air Routes? If applicants are willing to pay for their own Transportation/Hotel Accomadations to and from Interviewing City, then applicants should not be denied an equal opportunity, don''t you think? Shouldn''t the letter have easily stated that JetBlue is not responsible to supply Transportation to the interviews. Instead of saying we are "unable" to offer you a position because, we "DO NOT" fly to your residential city. This just doesn''t seem right to me...can someone explain. Or do I have a legal case?

Perhaps if you elaborated a little more, someone could answer your question. Where do you live? What position were you applying for? What did the letter say? For instance, if you were applying for a gate agent position, and you live in Des Moines, maybe the letter was just saying that JetBlue doesn't have any positions in Des Moines open.

Considering that a large percentage of the company commutes, on and off line, you'd have a hard time making a case. Not every disappontment is grounds for a lawsuit.

----------------
On 8/25/2002 2:24:50 PM

But the position I'm referring to is Flight Attendant and the applicant applying for the position lives in Hawaii. But easily have the means to travel to New York for an interview or anywhere on the Mainland for that matter. Should she have given a different address?

Guess this begs the question - where will she live on her days off. "Deadheading" from Hawaii would most likely not go over well with managment of any airline. I don't see that as discrimination.

----------------
She would of course relocate as would anyone else who's serious about the position. And yes, she mentioned that on her resume/cover letter. Why is everyone assuming that relocation is not an options? And why are you assuming that she's the only one...maybe she just might be the first person who will fight for whats right. The bottom line, she should be given the chance to interview regardless of where she lives.

Just talked to jetBlue's Director of Inflight about this very issue three days ago. She said that they were sending out those letters because as "a New York-based airline" they wanted to hire people from New York. However, things are changing and the new crew base in south Florida will open in about a month. They will be looking for people to man that base. Her recommendation was to reapply. Good luck.

----------------
On 8/25/2002 9:46:22 AM

Get real!
----------------

[:0] I thought I was...why would you make a comment as such if I'm simply asking for your help to understand? If this is so sensitive for you, that you must find the need to attack first...I'm sorry I asked! About having a "legal case"...lighten up!

Jeff G:
Thanks for not taking it personal and for having a mature response...But the position I'm referring to is Flight Attendant and the applicant applying for the position lives in Hawaii. But easily have the means to travel to New York for an interview or anywhere on the Mainland for that matter. Should she have given a different address?

Ciao-

Oh, I'm not on the defensive, but most companies, when approached by an applicant that doesn't live close by the "home office" usually ask for relocation assistance. If your friend really wants a job, I'd suggest moving to the mainland BEFORE submitting an application. There isn't anything discriminatory about putting applicants who are way off the beaten path to the back of the pile.

Sorry, I just never considered suing someone because they wouldn't hire me. In fact I've never considered suing anyone at all. That's just me, you go on and do what you have to do. But posting a topic like that here was not a very smart thing to do. What kind of answers did you expect?

But the position I'm referring to is Flight Attendant and the applicant applying for the position lives in Hawaii. But easily have the means to travel to New York for an interview or anywhere on the Mainland for that matter. Should she have given a different address?

Guess this begs the question - where will she live on her days off. "Deadheading" from Hawaii would most likely not go over well with managment of any airline. I don't see that as discrimination.

If she was willing to fly to New York ON HER OWN, why would the company not take the time to interview her if her resume was in order? I know lots of people who work at the airline who never lived where they were based or where they were hired. All during school there were people from all over the country coming to interview us and as long as you were willing to relocate on your own, you got an interview. I dont see a lawsuit here, but I would reapply and make sure it is obvious that relocation is NOT a problem and there is no expectation of reimbursement for expenses.
To those who jumped on the original poster, I dont see anything wrong with the question or the way it was posed. It is a legitimate question given the nature of the industry and the amount of people who dont live where they are based. Dont take everything so personal.

I'm not really sure that I would advise anyone to give up a life in Hawaii to move to New York and fly packed plane fulls of people to florida for 20 grand a year. Tell your friend that this industry isn't what it used to be and maybe she should stay in paradise. Just a suggestion.....