JFK-NRT/Asia

Status
Not open for further replies.

LukeAisleWalker

Veteran
Sep 29, 2007
I was making a posting on the Delta board and wasn't sure but did NW used to fly to Asia from JFK?
If someone can please answer, I would appreciate it. Also, is the route authority still available (or was it sold?) and do you think with DL's stong JFK presence that these routes might be revived?
Thanks in advance!

NW used to fly JFK-NRT (as did DL for about 10 years). IIRC, NW stopped flying it in 2004 or 2005.

I was making a posting on the Delta board and wasn't sure but did NW used to fly to Asia from JFK?

Yes, we did.

Daily passenger service (747-400) & daily freighter service (747-200F).

If someone can please answer, I would appreciate it. Also, is the route authority still available (or was it sold?) and do you think with DL's stong JFK presence that these routes might be revived?
Thanks in advance!

As far as I know, we still own the route authority. When this route was stopped (passenger), the official word was that it was just "suspended."

It's also been speculated that it would be one of (if not the) first 787 route.

There's a lot of competition on the route, but if I had to guess, I'd say it comes back.

NW used to fly JFK-NRT (as did DL for about 10 years). IIRC, NW stopped flying it in 2004 or 2005.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Correcto...FWAAA,

Big Red was the First(i believe), US carrier to fly it, and I also believe it would have been...BIG DICK Anderson..who "pulled it"(The flight I'm talking about) :wub:

As for DL flying it, I'm not sure, because they may not have had their 777's yet, plus I'm not sure if anybody's MD-11 had the range for JFK/NRT ??

AA has been flying it pretty much since NW stopped it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Correcto...FWAAA,

Big Red was the First(i believe), US carrier to fly it, and I also believe it would have been...BIG DICK Anderson..who "pulled it"(The flight I'm talking about) :wub:

As for DL flying it, I'm not sure, because they may not have had their 777's yet, plus I'm not sure if anybody's MD-11 had the range for JFK/NRT ??

AA has been flying it pretty much since NW stopped it.

DL flew it until September 11, 2001 - I thought eolesen once posted that AA was awarded DL's abandoned JFK route. AA began flying it April 19, 2002. I was on the inaugural flights both ways, JFK-NRT-JFK.

I assume that NW can suspend its NRT routes at will and then resume them, unlike, say, AA - it cancels a route and it goes back into the pool.

Dunno what equipment DL flew, but it may have had a 777 by 2001.

DElta flew JFK to NRT with the MD-11, this route is well within the range of the MD-11. DL tried LAX to HKG which was a stretch for the plane, it often stopped in Taipei on the way to HKG.

Here is a blast from the past for you. The first nonstop JFK-NRT route was flown by none other than Pan Am, with the 747-SP, beginning in the 1976 time frame. This was the route that the SP was designed for.

I think NW had been running the route for a while as well, going back to the 1980's as well, but I know UA ran it in the late '80s, with both the 747SP and the 747-200B, of which they had 2 which could make the run.

Today, only JAL, ANA and AA go from JFK - NRT, and I think they are usually full...perhaps a good example of not having too many seats available on a route.....

DElta flew JFK to NRT with the MD-11, this route is well within the range of the MD-11. DL tried LAX to HKG which was a stretch for the plane, it often stopped in Taipei on the way to HKG.
That's correct I started working for Delta in 95 at Cargo in LAX. We had to use special LD's for comat cause we couldn't accomadate freight going to HKG. The MD11 had extra fuel tanks installed in bulkhead in compartment 1. On the way back was a different story it would be pack with freight to the gills. I miss those days.

That's correct I started working for Delta in 95 at Cargo in LAX. We had to use special LD's for comat cause we couldn't accomadate freight going to HKG. The MD11 had extra fuel tanks installed in bulkhead in compartment 1. On the way back was a different story it would be pack with freight to the gills. I miss those days.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

C F W M,

Brother, you are Sooo Right !

"95 WAS a good time period in this Lunatic Industry :up: :up:

NWA flew daily JFK-NRT and of course NRT-JFK everyday from 1984 thru 2005. (I know cuz I worked the inaugral). It was stopped after AA and ANA got the route authority. The rumor mentioned above is common that it will be restarted after the delivery of the 787. Now that the DL merger is planned, DL being a huge player in the New York market will probably see cause to start it even before then to compliment their giant JFK hub!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back