Delta opens line hangar at NRT.

topDawg

Veteran
Nov 23, 2010
We started talking about it in another thread but " Delta TechOps—Delta Air Lines’ (NYSE: DAL) maintenance division and its maintenance, repair and overhaul (MRO) provider business—opened a line maintenance hangar at its Tokyo-Narita International Airport hub on Monday with Narita airport and Japanese government officials on-hand to mark the occasion."

WorldTraveler said:
Neither DL or any other airline is going to lease a hangar based on potential diversions.
 I didn't say it was JUST that. Many different factors went into this hangar, one of those factors was to have a hangar that isn't 10-12 hours away for the Asia flying. NRT was the only line station large enough to justify it. 

WorldTraveler said:
and the structure of a NRT non-hub operation is generally that aircraft do not overnight there.
 RON/RAD checks

WorldTraveler said:
Perhaps DL intends to do more overnight maintenance at NRT as it cuts some intra-Asia flying but it also flies in the face of outsourcing more maintenance to China, HKG, and other locations where outsourced maintenance is cheaper.
 no it doesn't. Once again this is work already done at NRT. Nothing is changing. Same checks, same lubes, same amount of people.....

They will just be able to go inside now. 

WorldTraveler said:
your theory could be right that DL simply is taking advantage of the opportunity to pick up a cheap hangar but they still wouldn't do it if there weren't work that could be regularly done there.
 And like I said, no matter what happens to the rest of the Asian flying you will always have NRT-MSP,DTW,SEA,LAX,ATL, JFK and HNL flights. plenty of flying when you figure a station like BKK has a line station for all of 1 flight. 

WorldTraveler said:
Dehubbing NRT defies that logic and even more so a hangar defies the logic of more outsourcing.
 Again, no it doesn't. No new work will be done here. Delta isn't insourcing work. All they are doing is taking existing work and moving it inside. No Heavys, no C-checks, no off wing engine work, no components etc. will be done at the hangar. 

WorldTraveler said:
plz restate your arguments within the framework of outsourcing vs. inhouse maintenance as well as the future of the NRT hub as well as DL's SCHEDULED flight operations in various cities in Asia.
I don't know why I would need to. I have told you twice now that this means nothing for insourcing. Its work already done in-house. Nothing is changing from that. 

nowhere have I said anything about DL insourcing (meaning bringing in work from other carriers) at NRT because of this hangar. I have said that it seems to argue against further outsourcing which you seem to think is always happening.

and if NRT becomes simply a spoke, planes would likely not overnight at NRT. that is just the way schedules between northern Asia and the US typically work although DL has overnighted aircraft at ICN. To China and SE Asia, an overnight is more likely.

I think the only one still discussing RONS is you. Dawg keeps pointing out that that's not an issue here *and* throwing in the idea of possible RADS, but you keep plugging along anyway. What gives?

maybe dawg needs to help me understand a few things but if airplanes are on the ground for a couple of hours which is the standard turn time for DL widebody longhaul turns, there isn't time for any hangar maintenance - and only line maintenance when something is broken.

you seem to miss the point - and clearly want to argue it - that DL obviously intends to keep NRT as a fairly large station with more than just out and back service to the US which is the way most other int'l stations operate.

WorldTraveler said:
maybe dawg needs to help me understand a few things but if airplanes are on the ground for a couple of hours which is the standard turn time for DL widebody longhaul turns, there isn't time for any hangar maintenance - and only line maintenance when something is broken.
RAD flights are more than "just a couple of hours," hence the acronym... Maybe NRT has those, maybe they will soon. Dunno. But I do know that no one has been talking about RON flights except for you. IOW, no one's disagreeing, but you keep on posting counters anyway.

you seem to miss the point - and clearly want to argue it - that DL obviously intends to keep NRT as a fairly large station with more than just out and back service to the US which is the way most other int'l stations operate.
Hunh.

That's news to me. Can you point me to anywhere I've said that DL does not intend to keep a "fairly large" level of service at NRT? Any post'll do. Thanks.

no, what I have consistently said is that DL's int'l scheduling usually does not involve more than 2 hours of gate time and then back to the US.

most stations in Asia have schedules that have overnights - or more than 2 hour turns

you might do well to have a look at UA and AA's schedules at NRT to help you understand what is being discussed.

Neither carrier has any widebody that overnight at NRT. Neither does DL.

the only aircraft that DL or UA have that overnight at NRT are the narrowbody aircraft that serve beach markets.
again, DL might decide to do something different than what it has done or what AA or UA do, but the only aircraft that do not turn right around and go back to their destination are a couple of beach market narrowbody aircraft.

instead of arguing about something you clearly don't understand, how about you spend a few minutes tomorrow pulling schedules and it will, I mean might, become apparent to you.

WorldTraveler said:
you might do well to have a look at UA and AA's schedules at NRT to help you understand what is being discussed.

In a thread about DL opening a hangar? Okay.

Neither carrier has any widebody that overnight at NRT. Neither does DL.
Still no one talking about RON's but you...

again, DL might decide to do something different than what it has done..
Yeah, I mentioned that.

instead of arguing about something you clearly don't understand, how about you spend a few minutes tomorrow pulling schedules and it will, I mean might, become apparent to you.
Oh look; more condescension. That never happens.  :rolleyes:

no, I am not talking about RONs. I'm talking about widebody turns that do not allow ANY time for a plane to be taken off the gate.

it isn't a hard concept to understand. DL doesn't do it at NRT and neither does AA or UA. The confusion you seem to have would be eliminated if you looked at schedules.

the only aircraft that DL or UA overnight at NRT on a regular basis are narrowbodies that serve beach markets.

if DL can justify a hangar for those few aircraft, then so be it... but the schedule is not based on having widebody aircraft spend any time at NRT unless there is an intentional swap out that is designed to do maintenance at NRT. and if DL does that and uses its own employees, then it argues against outsourcing since there are other locations in Asia where DL could have maintenance done by MROs if it wanted to.

and if you find facts condescending, then the problem is that you refuse to acknowledge that you are arguing over a topic about which you don't understand.

WorldTraveler said:
no, I am not talking about RONs.
Then why keep mentioning overnights?

and if you find facts condescending, then the problem is that you refuse to acknowledge that you are arguing over a topic about which you don't understand.
Of course I don't understand! How could I? Why, I'm just a ramper and things like network dynamics, the changes to the FUGU structure and maintenance planning scare me.

(sarcasm, of course)

GMAFB

I'm validating what you said. a rare bit of common ground.

meanwhile, have you calculated the average amount of ground time at NRT for AA, DL and UA widebodies? and figured out how to get a plane over to the hangar in that amount of time?

no ground time long enough to drag a plane to a hangar. you do know where the hangars at NRT are located?