Delta opens line hangar at NRT.

WorldTraveler said:
I have walked away from plenty of topics Have gotten many topics locked - but the basis of what commavia is wrong.

If he were right, I would have no problem with him saying what he wants to say over and over again.

either DL is the largest airline from the US to Japan or size doesn't matter anywhere.

Either the Japan-US market is shrinking for everyone or it doesn't matter.

There is no way he can argue one side of the coin but not the other.
Fixed it for you;

Reactions: 2 people
I don't close threads... I can't lock anything other than my car and the doors to my house.

If the devil did it, he did it by himself. IOW, the devil can't make anyone do anything. And I can't "get" threads locked.

Your behavior most certainly has been the cause of the mods locking threads.

Denial is the first step.

Reactions: 2 people
Glenn Quagmire said:
NWA had hangar space at NRT, SEA, JFK, LAX, BOS, DTW, ATL, MSP, I may have missed a few, SFO (Superbay) as needed, we actally got along with our neighbors and were allowed to use space as needed. We did A checks on the ramp at MCO on the DC-10 (had a tail dock on the ramp that we moved around). Of course our resident expert on everything will clear all this up for those of us who don't know about operations.

I am not sure why this is news. I guess it is for Delta, but it is just a resumption of what we always had at Northwest (Orient).
 pretty sure NW also leased a hangar bay in DCA for 32S A checks. 

FWAAA said:
Given that it sits there for about 18 hours, I have to assume that it gets more than the ETOPS check. I think that mechanics have previously posted that AA is outsourcing 777 A checks at NRT and GRU and LHR, all of which see 777s sit for 12-18 hours, although LHR mechanics are in fact employees of American Airlines. Dunno about GRU or NRT.
 I believe AA had at least its own MX in GRU. AA use to(i assume they still do) have a pretty large line network in Latin America/South America. 

I do not see anything that points to AA having a line station at NRT however. 

WorldTraveler said:
the significance is that DL is renting hangar space in a city that some argue is a dying city for DL and others are convinced that DL is simply outsourcing to other carriers every chance they can get.

Renting hangar space for DL mechanics to use in a region where MROs are a dime a dozen counters both of those assertions.

good lord your annoying and prove that you have no, not in the smallest, idea of how maintenance works. 

Why don't you tell us what will be done at the hangar that isn't done on the line now?
Why don't you tell us what MROs have facilities at NRT?

Again, no new work is being added because of this hangar. No new staff will come because of this hangar. But please, wise one, tell use EXACTLY what Delta does in its line hangars.............? 

commavia said:
Delta has eliminated nonstops from NRT to SFO, ICN, PUS, PEK, KHH and HKG, and compared to the heady days of the hub's peak, moved to lower frequency and/or smaller aircraft from NRT to MSP, SEA, PDX, JFK, HNL, PVG, BKK, SIN, etc. - and this doesn't constitute Delta reducing its presence in Japan?  Good for Delta that they have a line maintenance hangar at NRT.  Congratulations.  It still doesn't change the fact that Delta continues to shrink in Japan as the NRT hub is progressively dismantled - as said, precisely as many of us predicted years ago over the protestations of those who assured that NRT was just fine, and Delta would dump capacity to bankrupt JAL.  We see how that worked out.  Again - detachment from reality.
 Along with SGN 

commavia said:
Simply incredible.  Some people - still! - cannot accept reality.

Again - who said anything about "DL's presence in the US to Japan or Japan beach markets," or the ability of AA to fly ORD-NRT daily, etc.?

Delta's presence in Japan has been, and continues to be, on the decline as it dismantles the NRT hub and shifts more Asia flying to SEA.  This is beyond debate for anybody who's being honest.  And no hangar at NRT will change that.

this

Kev3188 said:
CMH & ORD (I think?)... Maybe 1 or 2 others?

'Cause if it happened at NW, it never actually happened...
I believe that NW was, at one point, using the old Delta hangar at ORD for Cargo opps.

eolesen said:
I'm still trying to figure out why they think paying hangar rent on a monthly basis makes sense.
I won't say exactly what I know, but everything has a beginning, middle and end. 

We aren't at the end with this. Interesting days ahead for TechOps. 

let me guess, they are sending you to DL's new line maintenance station in Perth to staff their new hangar?

Kev3188 said:
CMH & ORD (I think?)...
I did miss those. I think we had ANC and HKG also. All of them were still used until the strike other than ATL iirc.

I think every freighter point had hangar space.

Loved the freighter crews. Best ever. Pax were always cool too... ;)

Glenn Quagmire said:
I did miss those.
Not for nothing, I found out about CMH when I found myself in PACE class with one of the managers. Always seemed like a weird place to have one (as opposed to a "bigger" station), but what do I know?

Lol. True.

Never a fan of diversions, but the freighter guys always made it a little more bearable...

Kev3188 said:
Not for nothing, I found out about CMH when I found myself in PACE class with one of the managers. Always seemed like a weird place to have one (as opposed to a "bigger" station), but what do I know? Lol. True.Never a fan of diversions, but the freighter guys always made it a little more bearable...
As for the CMH hangar and other line stations, that I was associated with, we had A-320 expertise that was well known in the routing/dispatch/moc circle. There were about 4 line points that the Aircraft were sent that they knew they could get chronic issues solved. I was the lead at one of those stations as were some of my peers at others. We were the A320 guru's.

NWA knew where their bread was buttered wrt getting problem aircraft back in rotation.

I suspect some of this has translated to delta. Some of the MC guys decided to make the move to ATL. The best ones retired...sadly.

Reactions: 1 person
WorldTraveler said:
let me guess, they are sending you to DL's new line maintenance station in Perth to staff their new hangar?
you didn't answer any of my questions.......I'll wait. 

Glenn Quagmire said:
I did miss those. I think we had ANC and HKG also. All of them were still used until the strike other than ATL iirc.

I think every freighter point had hangar space.

ANC had a cargo hangar for sure. 

Two of my better friends from DL were part of the freighter ops. The F's needed all that hangar space, unfortunately.

dawg,
I didn't reply because I didn't say anything about MROs at NRT.

I said that DL's choice to expand its inhouse maintenance capabilities at NRT prove that it is not interested in outsourcing its maintenance which it could do in umpteen MROs elsewhere in Asia, perhaps at a lower cost.

I also didn't say one thing about whether DL would grow or simply maintain its maintenance presence at NRT but the mere fact that they are investing in increased facilities says that they intend to be able to do more. You an d I know full well that if DL mechanics at NRT have been able to do a certain level of work outside of a hangar or with an ad hoc leased hangar, DL is not giving them their own hangar unless they are either going to do more because they have a hangar or reduce the costs associated with having to lease a hangar on an ad hoc basis.

I am trying to tell you what DL is or is not doing. I can figure out why DL would be motivated to acquire a hangar.

WorldTraveler said:
dawg,
I didn't reply because I didn't say anything about MROs at NRT.

I said that DL's choice to expand its inhouse maintenance capabilities at NRT prove that it is not interested in outsourcing its maintenance which it could do in umpteen MROs elsewhere in Asia, perhaps at a lower cost.

I also didn't say one thing about whether DL would grow or simply maintain its maintenance presence at NRT but the mere fact that they are investing in increased facilities says that they intend to be able to do more. You an d I know full well that if DL mechanics at NRT have been able to do a certain level of work outside of a hangar or with an ad hoc leased hangar, DL is not giving them their own hangar unless they are either going to do more because they have a hangar or reduce the costs associated with having to lease a hangar on an ad hoc basis.

I am trying to tell you what DL is or is not doing. I can figure out why DL would be motivated to acquire a hangar.
So once again you are telling me how things work on the MTC side now. 

So all knowing one, if more work is getting sent to NRT, they are going to do more things please tell us what they will be doing? what checks are they going to be doing? 

You have been told why they are getting a hangar. You are now telling someone who has been doing this ish for years, basically, that you know more than him about it. 

What's next? telling me how to do my job? Telling Kev how to drive a tug? 

Reactions: 5 people
no, you are simply confused or argumentative.

I never said a word about increasing or decreasing what MTC will do

nothing.

I also haven't told you or Kev how to do your jobs.

Are you sure you aren't telling DL what works and doesn't work for depts. in which you have never worked?