Jumpseat Priviledges for Retired USAirways Pilots

When I first got to US over 20 years ago, the crew schedulers would get on and ride the jumpseat with us for the most part of a day. This was to familiarize them with the stresses and rigors of the job! The idea was to give them an insider's view so that they would be more understanding and compasionate.

Boy, have things come a long way......

You Got It!!

We could always watch them at their CS Desk ... same with Agents, Mechs, Dispatch etc! But they could not do the same without the JS privilege! A true shame that such an important link has been lost!

2B

Some things in life just aren't right. And the banishment of retired Captains from the cockpit is just one of them. The first indignation is that your forced to retire at age 60. This will change and I SUPPORT LEGISLATION TO THAT EFFECT. ALPA does not support my position on this issue.

The second indignition is that after age 60 they will never ride in a cockpit again (as of today). Many retirees in other professions are viewed as 'statesmen of the profession'. Their opinions are sought after, and welcomed. Learning from them is invaluable. In this profession, you are sent into exile. This is an injustice, to those who have provided 30-40 years of safe air transportation to our nation.

Its time for the FAA to get their heads out of their asses. I know, this is impossible, but one can hope.

Best wishes to you 2BorNot in your retirement. :up:

DENVER, CO

Best wishes to you 2BorNot in your retirement. :up:

DENVER, CO
[/quote]

:) Thanks for the good wishes!

Happy Holidays to You and Yours!

2B

I feel sorry for the right seat fellas here at US if they put the age at 65. Not saying that you guys aren't good at what you do, but I still will feel sorry for the right seater who spend his whole career there. Maybe you guys could become flight instructors, go old school, teach the youguns. My old man retired from the Air Force after 31 years and at 70, he is still intructing 5 days a week. Doesn't need the money, just enjoys it. Some of you guys should think about that, you would still be contributing to aviation.

I feel sorry for the right seat fellas here at US if they put the age at 65. Not saying that you guys aren't good at what you do, but I still will feel sorry for the right seater who spend his whole career there. Maybe you guys could become flight instructors, go old school, teach the youguns. My old man retired from the Air Force after 31 years and at 70, he is still intructing 5 days a week. Doesn't need the money, just enjoys it. Some of you guys should think about that, you would still be contributing to aviation.

:lol:
Wow!!! You have one very Special Dad there!! Please shake his hand for me Thank him for his Service to this great Country!

2B

:lol:
Wow!!! You have one very Special Dad there!! Please shake his hand for me Thank him for his Service to this great Country!

2B
Thanks for the comment. He flew 165 combat missions in Vietnam. I remember getting postcards of Hueys flying over rice paddys. When he came home he brought me a 105mm Howitzer shell with a mohagany top. The casing had a map of SE Asia and said" To Jeff, Love Dad". If thats not love what is. I still get to go fly with him when I get back to Jersey. He is outside of McGuire AFB. He did all right. Anyway, Thanks. JB.

:(

Are Retired Pilots still forbidden to fly jumpseat?? When I think of all the fine folks I had in my Jumpseat in my 28 yrs, and how special that was, I am truly saddened that in my Retirement I am denied that privilege by the FAA.

Has there been any recent changes?? Since U ALPA views retired U Pilots as non-members, and bars us from their website, this is the only board I know of to make such an inquiry.

2B
maybe in your retirement you accept gratis from some fine tent living people and now are a security threat?

The second indignition is that after age 60 they will never ride in a cockpit again (as of today).

That is not true. Pilots who are more than 60 years of age are eligible to fly the 'plumbers' seat and fly corporate as well as Part 135 flights.

That is not true. Pilots who are more than 60 years of age are eligible to fly the 'plumbers' seat and fly corporate as well as Part 135 flights.

True ..... if you can still keep the Medical! Some of us cannot. Certain meds. keep you grounded ... happens, you know! :(

2B

Funny how quickly you can be stripped of your Authorized Personnel designation.