Just Bid My Vacation (less 2 Weeks)

FLYUSAIRWAYS

Advanced
Feb 21, 2004
Just bid my vacation. Only allowed to bid 4 weeks instead of my usual 6 weeks. Must be that management is pretty certain that the CWA will bring in a Yes vote on the contract changes. I still don't understand how they can implement the changes before the votes are in? Today is Dec. 13th and I still have not received any mail regarding the contract changes, or a PIN # to use to vote. Must be they don't want to give us much time to read it closely, before the 23rd deadline.

It's probably the fact that the company feels comfortable that even if the TA is not passed, they will simply force an agreement that includes max 4 weeks vacation. Last week when we had a forced rebid without the advance noticed required in the current contract, our station manager just said thats the way it is, any problems, go ahead and grieve it. Thats the management mentality now, they are going to do what ever they feel like and if any thing is grieved, they know the courts will toss it out if this TA isnt passed, and the TA included the provision to eliminate all current grievances. What a group running the company! :down:

We were told that James Root of the CWA was consulted on how we should do the vacation and he said under the new contract.

Since the vacation has to be bid by Dec 15th, this makes sense to bid this way. Bid the maximum allowed under the new contract and be done with it. Some people would like to have the first week of Jan off and waiting for the contract outcome would make it too late to bid and make plans. If anything changes and you end up (highly doubtful) with more than the 4 weeks, they can just add additional lines to the bid and have another round of bids. Same thing with the vacation bidding that was usually done in round 2. At least this way you know what weeks you'll have if the new contract passes (or is imposed) and any changes can be rectified later.
I personally would have liked to have been able to take all of the weeks as DAT days. Since we are required in station to find our own coverage for these, I would have prefered to take the 4 weeks and do DATS since I dont know what 2 weeks I want off for sure. When we had more time off to bid, a couple of weeks with nothing planned didnt matter, but now it makes a difference. Oh well, maybe next time.

Latest posts