Kona leis in wait for US Airways

Paul

Veteran
Nov 15, 2005
US Airways/America West starts flying from Phoenix to Kona next month and the Big Island Visitors Bureau will be waiting.

The bureau confirmed Tuesday it will have hula performers and flower lei to hand out to the first arrivals on what will be, from March 2, a daily flight from Phoenix that can carry up to 190 passengers.

The flight will arrive before noon, plenty of time to collect a rental car, find the hotel, check in, order a Mai tai and wait for the sunset.

"Phoenix is an important visitor base for Hawaii's Big Island," said BIVB Executive Director George Applegate. "It's exciting to have such a direct link to the southeastern United States."

Pacific Business News

US Airways/America West starts flying from Phoenix to Kona next month and the Big Island Visitors Bureau will be waiting.

The bureau confirmed Tuesday it will have hula performers and flower lei to hand out to the first arrivals on what will be, from March 2, a daily flight from Phoenix that can carry up to 190 passengers.

The flight will arrive before noon, plenty of time to collect a rental car, find the hotel, check in, order a Mai tai and wait for the sunset.

"Phoenix is an important visitor base for Hawaii's Big Island," said BIVB Executive Director George Applegate. "It's exciting to have such a direct link to the southeastern United States."
If Phoenix is in the southeast, where is Hawaii? Between Texas and Florida? I wonder if George is from the Rez Center in Manilla.
Pacific Business News

ok, the flight arrives a tad past noon, still plenty of time to get a car, get to hotel, and hit the beach

Beach? There are no beaches on the big island! Except for maybe a few artificial ones at high-end resorts.

Beach? There are no beaches on the big island! Except for maybe a few artificial ones at high-end resorts.
I guess they trucked in all that green olivine sand?! How many truckloads of black sand were dumped at the Black Sand Beach?
B02_Black%20Sand%20Beach_618.jpg

Somebody needs to go back to geology and geography classes...

There are great beaches on the big island, but you gotta know where they are, and be willing to hike a bit.

The 757 fleet has been having a lot of cancelations. Not the Hawaii flights. They have been cancelling things like PHX-DFW-PHX and downgrading other 757 work. The remaing non-ETOPS aircraft have been pulled for ETOPS conversion. There were 5 etops online last month, I'm sure it's higher now.

The 757 fleet has been having a lot of cancelations. Not the Hawaii flights. They have been cancelling things ... and downgrading other 757 work.

Yeah, its been fun working the 757 this past month. At least 2 days that I can remember being downgraded and over by 45 or so! I wish they would just change the afternoon flight back to an Airbus and be done with it! :up: :p

Back