Lakefield August 19 Letter

vc10

Advanced
Apr 13, 2004
August 19, 2004

Dear US Airways Colleague:

I am sure that many employees have seen at least one of the news stories this week quoting our chairman, David Bronner, about the challenges facing our company. In particular, he said bluntly that without new labor agreements providing competitive labor costs, the airline cannot survive long-term, whether or not a Chapter 11 petition is filed.

I have known Dr. Bronner for more than 30 years. And I can say that I have never seen him more frustrated than he is right now. But he is not alone in his frustration. The Board of Directors, the management team, union leaders and probably each and every employee is frustrated right now.

And we are all frustrated by many of the same things. We are frustrated by the fact that even after our successful trip through bankruptcy, the company still is not profitable and we need to do more. We are frustrated by the fact that we are all working harder than ever. We are frustrated by the negotiations process and the fact that it is chronicled in the media for the whole world to see. And we are frustrated by the fact that the airline industry is changing at a dramatic pace and that the additional changes we need to make are painful and enormous.

The discussions about another Chapter 11 filing are grounded in the fact that, given our financial obligations, it is a very real possibility. The financial disclosure laws, SEC regulations and our commitment to full disclosure mean that all of our stakeholders have to have complete information. Admittedly, the results of disclosing information can be disconcerting to employees and customers alike.

While Chapter 11 is a possibility, the talk of an imminent shutdown, a disruption of service, or impending liquidation is simply not true. If Chapter 11 becomes necessary, our survival will remain dependent upon transformation. One way or another, we need new labor agreements.

All legacy carriers face the very real threat of Chapter 11. All legacy carriers must transform to survive. There is simply no way that any company can operate on a continuous cycle of yearly losses and accruing debt. We have an advantage, in that our 2002-2003 restructuring significantly reduced our debt, cleaned up our balance sheet and provided us with market-based lease rates for aircraft and other vendor agreements. But we are still losing money because the industry's revenue pool continues to shrink, and in essence, the revenue problem has resulted in another cost problem.

We are trying hard to avoid another Chapter 11 filing. We can solve our financial challenges with a new cost structure, but that requires the competitive labor costs that you have all heard so much about. Yes, it is painful, and yes, it will require sacrifices. But if we can quickly reach labor agreements, the outcome remains in our hands and we can get through this. A restructured US Airways with low costs, a simplified fare structure, a route network that blankets the eastern U.S., the Caribbean and Latin America where we have strong market positions, and with our great employees, can make us an absolutely fierce competitor.

Chapter 11 protection can be a useful tool, but it provides no guarantee for success. We beat the odds last time with the support of our employees. I would rather not file again. I would prefer that we resolve our issues outside of bankruptcy court, but to do that, we need to complete negotiations quickly. We have a Transformation Plan that will work. We are already seeing our competitors begin to emulate it.

I am reminded every day of your hard work and dedication to our customers and this company. And that point is crystal clear in the minds of every member of the Board and the senior management team. Our efforts remain focused on being successful outside of bankruptcy and not having to file for Chapter 11, thereby moving our airline to a platform of success. The press coverage of the past week has dwelled on the scenarios if we don't succeed, but I hope that each of you will reflect on what we can be if we do succeed. The choice is ours.

Sincerely,

Bruce R. Lakefield

Step one would be to tell Bronner to keep his big mouth shut.

Step two would be to provide the neccessary leadership.

Step three would be to fire the Jerry Glass.

Then you might have the credibility needed to work with the people who know where the problems lie and have the acumen to solve them.

mr

D-E-S-P-E-R-A-T-I-O-N trying to soothe the effects of the Doctor's very public outcry out of woes and who cares I am the greatest attitude which received very bad PR right where is hurts, the booking counters.

Gag that man and hog tie him till it's over.

mwereplanes said:
Step one would be to tell Bronner to keep his big mouth shut.

Step two would be to provide the neccessary leadership.

Step three would be to fire the Jerry Glass.

Then you might have the credibility needed to work with the people who know where the problems lie and have the acumen to solve them.

mr
[post="170613"][/post]​

Getting rid of Glass would be a giant step in the right direction, too bad they are blind and can't see this fact that everyone else can.

cavalier said:
Getting rid of Glass would be a giant step in the right direction, too bad they are blind and can't see this fact that everyone else can.
[post="170619"][/post]​

Ridding ourselves of Glass....and somehow the RSA and Bronner would be a quantum leap forward , no bones about it. Bronner does not need to wage his war against the employee's in the press. This not only engrains hopelessness in the employees..it makes the frequent flyers and long range customers nervous about doing business with us at all. Nice going again Doctor Do-Little.

Whom here didn't see Lakefield putting out a letter to lesson the sting of Bronner's Doom and Gloom press releases? WE have all seen this same thing play out before during the winter of 2003. This is not to say that change doesn't have to happen....but we need a positive change , not an employee sponsored version of Greyhound Bus Lines.

Sure , it's obvious that all the legacy carriers are going to have to change...DL has stated that Furloughs and changes to employee benefits are coming for them too...not to mention the need concessions they have to have from their pilots...the remaining groups they can take from at will.

I read an article in the Washington Post the other day and it listed the top 100 executives for the Washington area. Al C(#100)....(Executive Vice President) compensation was listed at over $2 million dollars last year.

And we wonder why were failing.......it's no wonder.

Time isn't on our side.

We can solve our financial challenges with a new cost structure, but that requires the competitive labor costs that you have all heard so much about. Yes, it is painful, and yes, it will require sacrifices. But if we can quickly reach labor agreements, the outcome remains in our hands and we can get through this.The choice is ours.

What choice? What the company is offering us is equal to saying,
"You can either jump off the cliff or throw yourself in front of a moving train."
Either way, you're dead. I don't see this as much of a choice.

:glare:

Mr. Lakefield,

If you want to save this airline and protect Dr. Boneheads investment then take a new approach. Look at our history and what does not work. This company has always tried to solve its problems on the backs of its employees, THE EMPLOYEES ARE THE COMPANY, not a bunch of leased pieces of metal.

Stop waging war on the company.

You and Dr. Bronner must take a hard look at where the problem really is. Not a group of dedicated professionals trying to make a living wage, It is the total incompentents In CCY that have failed to act, instead of react for many years to market changes. What has really changed from ten years ago, other than employees making much less. WHY IN THE H*LL IS CORPERATE STILL IN CCY.

If you want to save this company, Bronner will infuse enough money into this airline for short term relief. Then put together a committee of the brightest individuals from the different departments, You know, The people that make this thing work every day, the ones that sacrifice every day, The thousands of combined years of experienced individuals whom shake their heads at the mistakes CCY makes each and every day. Work with them and their ideas, not the hired guns and bean counters in CCY, Many of whom don't have any airline experience at all.

You have the most experienced professionals in the business at USAIRWAYS, whom can make this the most successful airline in the world, AND THEY DO NOT WORK IN CRYSTAL CITY, use us to save this airline.

The folks in CCY are right about one thing though. There is a group of workers that are way overpaid, underproductive, have to many benifits, and simply cannot do the job, They look for all of the answers in all of the wrong places and should be replaced with new blood that will work much harder for much less, and that workgroup is MANAGEMENT.

Respectfuly,
CS AGENT

coachrowsey said:
I also say get rid of Glass. That really would be a huge leap forward..
[post="170635"][/post]​

There's a problem. It's the middle of a crisis and getting anyone halfway decent to come to US Airways right now is basically impossible.

The United CFO is widely disliked and disrespected. But United is in the middle of a crisis, and the CEO has had problems getting good people to come to United. So he's stuck with the guy, and people understand that.

Situation is similar here. If US Airways survives, there's going to be new management, Lakefield has said that. For now, it's hard to change horses (even if it's a bad-tempered nag) in midstream, and US Airways is a stream that's in a raging flood...

Lakefield has a horrible job. He's got to do the impossible and he's got to do it with a team that someone else selected and which failed the first time around. It's unlikely he enjoys a second of it, and it's a sure bet that if he felt he could, he'd replace a bunch of the executives he inherited. But that's really not an option.

The guy is doing the best he can under very difficult circumstances. That doesn't mean you have to agree with what he's trying to do, but he deserves some credit just for taking the job and for plugging away.

the_fat_lady_sings.GIF

vc10 said:
There's a problem. It's the middle of a crisis and getting anyone halfway decent to come to US Airways right now is basically impossible.

The United CFO is widely disliked and disrespected. But United is in the middle of a crisis, and the CEO has had problems getting good people to come to United. So he's stuck with the guy, and people understand that.

Situation is similar here. If US Airways survives, there's going to be new management, Lakefield has said that. For now, it's hard to change horses (even if it's a bad-tempered nag) in midstream, and US Airways is a stream that's in a raging flood...

Lakefield has a horrible job. He's got to do the impossible and he's got to do it with a team that someone else selected and which failed the first time around. It's unlikely he enjoys a second of it, and it's a sure bet that if he felt he could, he'd replace a bunch of the executives he inherited. But that's really not an option.

The guy is doing the best he can under very difficult circumstances. That doesn't mean you have to agree with what he's trying to do, but he deserves some credit just for taking the job and for plugging away.
[post="170645"][/post]​

This is a round about way of saying: It's over.

vc10 said:
August 19, 2004

Dear US Airways Colleague:

I am sure that many employees have seen at least one of the news stories this week quoting our chairman, David Bronner, about the challenges facing our company. In particular, he said bluntly that without new labor agreements providing competitive labor costs, the airline cannot survive long-term, whether or not a Chapter 11 petition is filed.

I have known Dr. Bronner for more than 30 years. And I can say that I have never seen him more frustrated than he is right now. But he is not alone in his frustration. The Board of Directors, the management team, union leaders and probably each and every employee is frustrated right now.

And we are all frustrated by many of the same things. We are frustrated by the fact that even after our successful trip through bankruptcy, the company still is not profitable and we need to do more. We are frustrated by the fact that we are all working harder than ever. We are frustrated by the negotiations process and the fact that it is chronicled in the media for the whole world to see. And we are frustrated by the fact that the airline industry is changing at a dramatic pace and that the additional changes we need to make are painful and enormous.

The discussions about another Chapter 11 filing are grounded in the fact that, given our financial obligations, it is a very real possibility. The financial disclosure laws, SEC regulations and our commitment to full disclosure mean that all of our stakeholders have to have complete information. Admittedly, the results of disclosing information can be disconcerting to employees and customers alike.

While Chapter 11 is a possibility, the talk of an imminent shutdown, a disruption of service, or impending liquidation is simply not true. If Chapter 11 becomes necessary, our survival will remain dependent upon transformation. One way or another, we need new labor agreements.

All legacy carriers face the very real threat of Chapter 11. All legacy carriers must transform to survive. There is simply no way that any company can operate on a continuous cycle of yearly losses and accruing debt. We have an advantage, in that our 2002-2003 restructuring significantly reduced our debt, cleaned up our balance sheet and provided us with market-based lease rates for aircraft and other vendor agreements. But we are still losing money because the industry's revenue pool continues to shrink, and in essence, the revenue problem has resulted in another cost problem.

We are trying hard to avoid another Chapter 11 filing. We can solve our financial challenges with a new cost structure, but that requires the competitive labor costs that you have all heard so much about. Yes, it is painful, and yes, it will require sacrifices. But if we can quickly reach labor agreements, the outcome remains in our hands and we can get through this. A restructured US Airways with low costs, a simplified fare structure, a route network that blankets the eastern U.S., the Caribbean and Latin America where we have strong market positions, and with our great employees, can make us an absolutely fierce competitor.

Chapter 11 protection can be a useful tool, but it provides no guarantee for success. We beat the odds last time with the support of our employees. I would rather not file again. I would prefer that we resolve our issues outside of bankruptcy court, but to do that, we need to complete negotiations quickly. We have a Transformation Plan that will work. We are already seeing our competitors begin to emulate it.

I am reminded every day of your hard work and dedication to our customers and this company. And that point is crystal clear in the minds of every member of the Board and the senior management team. Our efforts remain focused on being successful outside of bankruptcy and not having to file for Chapter 11, thereby moving our airline to a platform of success. The press coverage of the past week has dwelled on the scenarios if we don't succeed, but I hope that each of you will reflect on what we can be if we do succeed. The choice is ours.

Sincerely,

Bruce R. Lakefield
[post="170607"][/post]​

and whate ever happened to hunting back the millions given to the clowns named wolf, gangwal, cohen and seigel and the one dude i dont remember his name but he served with the wolf and gangwal clowns

vc10 said:
But we are still losing money because the industry's revenue pool continues to shrink, and in essence, the revenue problem has resulted in another cost problem.

Wha, Wha, What? Its a revenue problem?

Perhaps a revenue answer is the solution? It seemed to have worked for America West.

Cutting costs at this point, cannot be done by spending less... The only cost cuts that will work now are efficiency based.... Get more bang for your buck. The problem is, US Airways doesn't have any time (or bucks) for these types of cost-cuts to work...

Meanwhile, there is a revenue problem that is not getting addressed, unless you count GoFares, which I do not, as they are a thinly-veiled fare match to LCC competition (i.e. not a reworked revenue management system / fare structure, which may actually increase avaerage fares and/or RASM).

Latest posts