Latest name addition to the CEO rumors

I agree about bethune UAL24. I've always thought he was getting too much credit. How hard is it to run continental at their cost level? He really pisses me off when he blabs on and on about UA as if he knows all. He's a crandall wanna-be.

I've heard that Greenwald will be named Chairman of the Board when they get around to actually making all of these announcements.

LOL. Everygreat blowhard is backed by an equally great mind. He does serve a purpose. Often true leaders aren't the people getting the job done but instead are the motivators. He is a great motivator and orator. I do give him credit but me think he doth protest too much.

Agreed UAL24! Bethune is definitely a leader. One more rip: he kinda looks as squirmy and smug as crandall - except a lot taller.

On the ceo front...i hope greenwald does assume chair. I think it would be nice to have a familiar face - at least one associated with relatively happy labor relations and the initial esop driver.

Now a good ceo. I wish I were a fly on the wall!

----------------

If you would read the article about HP's earnings fully...you'd see that these were one-time fees. Had these not been incurred, they would have made money.

----------------

Yep, I understand that. And would you like me to recite for you all of the quarters and annuals where TWA would have "made money" if not for "one time fees"?? That was the story every other time they announced their numbers.

It apparently wasn't a lack of earnings that put TWA under, it was those pesky "one time fees".
[:bigsmile:] [:bigsmile:]

I dunno, maybe there's something to it. What other airline besides TWA flew for over a dozen consecutive money losing years? And then when the end came, they had to scramble to spend their money so that AA could use the "failed company" defense with a semi-straight face when they got to BK court, the DOT, the Senate and the DOJ.

The bottom line is that HP LOST over $2 Billion. Why, is not particularily important. That's $2 Billion bucks they had before Carly decided to play footsie with Compaq. But it wasn't her money, so what does she care? It was the stakeholder's money -- you know, the folks she has a fudiciary responsibility to look out for before anyobody else. My elderly parents have quite an investment in HP stock as part of their retirement portfolio. They've gotten screwed since she took over. Just like you have with your ESOP, now worth a couple bucks a share. She's Goodwin with a skirt.

Does any of this ring a bell??? Didn't Goodwin do the same thing at UAL? First with US Airways, at $60 a share no less! What's it worth today? Pennies?? Then there's his great Avolar plan.

I think you ALPA guys (I'm assuming you're a pilot) ought to make a move on UAL while the stock is in the toilet and you can pick up the whole damn joint for the cost of a used 747. I have much more confidence in the financial wisdom of the pilots then I do in the so called experts who have put United in harm's way. Heck, you guys don't even need to stop flying. Just put it on auto pilot and hash out a recovery plan between point A and point B. [:bigsmile:]

You know, sometimes I'm convinced that us "little guys" have more common sense and business practicality in our little fingers than all these hot-shot CEO's have combined.

I hope the CEO announcement comes soon, and I would be very encouraged if it were someone who knows how to drive a plane.

Take care and the best of luck to you all,

Marky

Marky,

Do you really want William Compton to take the top job at UAL? If so, then don't be surprised if in a year's time you see:

"United Airlines LLC - A Delta Air Lines Company"

[:bigsmile:] [:bigsmile:] [:bigsmile:]

MrMarky,

I love your posts. Keep up the good work. None of us are little guys or pee ons. Together we can accomplish greatness inspite of our white collar bandits. We(the labor groups) just need to find the "love" for each other and respect all of our positions. We need a leader. Not a Union patsy, but a leader. That individual must surround themselves with able minded leaders to give this company direction. When people think of Delta they see leadership and direction. When you think of AA under Crandall it was the same way. What do you think of when you think of UAL? I see a rudderless ship being Captained by a wonderfull man who has lost his desire to fight the good fight. His officers are running around trying to hoard the life boats instead of save the crew. A strong strong leader is what we need.

Next on Newstalk 89 WLS we'll continue our phone interviews with United CEO wannabees...that is, if we can discourage all these strange callers who want to do Boogie Check with Landecker. Wrong era, wrong station, guys!

We were trying to get a transatlantic phone call set up to Nigeria, but now we hear Jeff Erickson's finally made it out of there with some difficulty and a few detours, and has himself detoured over to the Atlas Shrugged Cargo Pad. So Jeffy's out of the running. Hmmm, what about Billy, Dolly or the extremely annoying Grandpa's Ghost? Just kidding, we wouldn't want United to become anymore of a "circus" than it is already.

Moving on to our next caller...Ed from Syracuse is on the line. So Ed, what makes you think you can turn United around? And say, how's Junior and the rest of your "family circus"?

[;)]

I have been a staunch defender of Jack Creighton since he took over. In light of todays proposals to ALPA and the horror my Union leaders have expressed over the new givebacks I must remove my support for this man. He is absolutely no different than any of these other vampires that sit in every executive office around this country. Shame on you Mr. Creighton for acting like everyones grandfather figure and turning out to be the Catholic priest of our childhood.

UAL777,

Yeah I agree but am disappointed in him for even endorsing these proposals. 9Billion alone from labor thats almost twice the ESOP and we get nothing in return. This could be a setup however to bring in the new guy and he will scrap these proposals and come in with reasonable ones thus becoming an instant hero to the Labor. The only glimmer, albeit fleeting, of hope I see in this.

UAL24,

You don't understand, it's not Creighton. He is being spoon-fed this stuff from the same incompetent leaders from Goodwin's Gang That Couldn't Shoot Straight. Creighton is an airline industry neophyte, by his own admission. The fact that he's been on UA's BOD for the last few years apparently is irrelevant, because it did not teach him the ins/outs of how this airline runs. So I would only blame him in the context of he's the CEO and the buck stops with him. But you can bet he didn't dream up these creative proposals. Creighton has been ineffectual from jump street. I give him credit for taking on the job when nobody else wanted it. But he grossly underestimated the situation he walked into. He placed blind trust/faith in the same leaders that have failed this company for the last few years. The sooner we get rid of this dead wood, the better.

UAL777,

The amount of cuts is what the ATSB is or should be dictating. They, based on the limited statements of ALPA, have asked the Pilots for far greater than 20% cuts. They have asked IAM for about 10% in salary and AFA for 100mil a year. The 8800 pilots are expected to give up 1billion a year that is obscene. I have been a constant non-fan of the IAM but would be incensed if they had been asked to give 2 or 3 times more than ALPA or AFA. Maybe the IAM had it right all along during these negotiations? BK is the plan not because financially we won't make it. It is the plan because this management team wants to be rid of the ESOP and are trying to correct a mistake they made in the eyes of other airline CEO's, Contract2000. The ATSB has no business dictating contractual provisions, who works on planes, how many RJ's express should fly. They should only be setting a numerical bar the company needs to meet in order to receive loan backings. 9billion dollars of give backs to receive a 1.8billion dollar loan. Hell we the employees could just get together right now and come up with 1.8 billion in the next year with just pay concessions alone. Business model needs some adjustments but the RAPING the mechanics and Pilots because you have the blessing of the government has little to do with a business model. If these concessions were actually implemented how many people here think the business models would change? I would almost bet my soul that a year from now when the economy is better we will still be running overcrowded hub and spoke banks. Business fares will be substantially higher than they are now and UAL will be declaring dividends to the new shareholders. Nothing will change except Juan in Chipolte, Mexico working on our planes and United Express flying a Luftwaffe of 144 seat RJ's at minimum wage. Just thought this could be different this time but alas, those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it.

UAL24,

The reason he endorsed these proposals could be because this is what the ATSB wants from UA labor groups. It is unfortunate that UA has virtually wasted away the last year since 9/11. Nothing of substance has been fixed at this carrier. We wasted a lot of time and a ton of cash. Now it appears that the only options for UA are deep cuts dictated by the ATSB or bankruptcy. Either way, the employees are going to get hurt bigtime.

This will certainly be an interesting time for UAL. I have to wonder what CEO in his right mind would come in at this point and take the job. It would be like being offered the Captain job of the Titanic after it hit the iceberg. I don't know about the rank and file employees at United but the unions appear to be in denial about this "sinking ship." Wasn't the last CEO pushed out for saying that United may "perish." Now, Wall Street gives UAL a 75-80% chance of bankruptcy. I really hope that things can be turned around but I won't hold my breath.