Lawyers want to question Kelleher about American Airlines and US Airways

except I didn't file the lawsuit... again, tell us why a group of private citizens feels a need to oppose a merger that the US government has said is ok?

And then tell me who else has no interest in seeing the merger and the government's actions move forward unchecked.

If you can credibly answer those questions, then we can potentially take DL out of this discussion. I happen to think there is common interest in what DL and the private antitrust party is seeking.

The suit will be thrown out once the judge signs off after the 60 day period, it's old news and was in the Charlotte Observer several days ago.

I don't know... but the charges that N. Texas aviation have been an oligopoly to the detriment of consumers is not a new charge nor will it likely go away.

WorldTraveler said:
I don't know... but the charges that N. Texas aviation have been an oligopoly to the detriment of consumers is not a new charge nor will it likely go away.
Seriously? Nothing will come of nothing...all the anti-merger, conspiracy theorists folks will continue to grasp...

Don't forget that Herb's a smart guy who knows how to use the right nouns and verbs in front of other lawyers. Maybe that's because he used to be one... might even still be a member of the bar for all I know.

the words that are used don't matter.

The fact is that N. Texas aviation has been a carefully orchestrated dance to carve up the market between AA and WN at their respective airports.

There is absolutely no defense for a situation in which the revision of the Wright Amendment results in the two largest carriers being unable to compete at each other's hubs and for the ability of other carriers to effectively compete wherever they want is limited.

What exists in N. Texas is unprecedented anywhere else in the US not just in the airline industry but also in other industries.

The chances of a successful legal challenge are very high and have significant implications for both AA and WN. And until the oligopolistic situation is overturned, N. Texas consumers will pay a high price.

WorldTraveler said:
....... Further, a certain airline with HDQ about 750 miles east of DFW has every reason to push the issue if it is shut out of the AA/US divestiture process and the competitive balance is allowed to favor one of its competitors.

DL might not have cared about challenging the status quo of N. Texas aviation before but it absolutely has the bandwidth to do so now.

:rolleyes:

Oy vey!
Is is me or does it seem like every single post on these forums always relates somehow to DL?
Be that as it may, where is that massive lawsuit that DL is filing and sure to win?

WorldTraveler said:
The fact is that N. Texas aviation has been a carefully orchestrated dance to carve up the market between AA and WN at their respective airports.

There is absolutely no defense for a situation in which the revision of the Wright Amendment results in the two largest carriers being unable to compete at each other's hubs and for the ability of other carriers to effectively compete wherever they want is limited.

What exists in N. Texas is unprecedented anywhere else in the US not just in the airline industry but also in other industries.

The chances of a successful legal challenge are very high and have significant implications for both AA and WN. And until the oligopolistic situation is overturned, N. Texas consumers will pay a high price.
Sorry, but facts don't support your statements.  If the N.TX market has been carved up, as you allege, then where are the lawsuits?  Or has the anti-trust lawyer at the law firm of Spectator & Son not passed the bar exam yet?

Sounds to me like you're upset that DL could not hack it in N.TX back then, still could not today and will not be able to tomorrow. 

Again, I find it interesting that nobody at DL corp HDQ (or UAL or any other carrier) is upset.  Except you.  (and spectator :p).  Furthermore, you sound very confident that the legal challenge will be successful and have significant implications.  Care to elaborate on what you're basing this on?  If possible, try to limit the response to 100 words or less and leave the DLemotion out of it.

excuse me but I didn't say that anyone other than the private parties who filed suit against the merger would sue.

I have said that anyone with even the slightest comprehension of antitrust law and the American free enterprise system realizes it is unacceptable that two airports in one city have a huge dividing line between them that prevents free and open competition between any airlines that want to fly there.

I get the whole history of DAL and DFW and the Wright Amendment. But I and a whole lot of other people continue to ask how any government that is even the least bit interested in competition could come up with what is now the competitive environment at DAL and DFW.

This isn't about DL - but I can assure you that DL wants and intends to compete on a fully basis. Whether a lawsuit comes now or ever doesn't change that DL has succeeded in the marketplace based on winning based on full and open competition, smoeting that neither AA or WN want - and the history of N. Texas aviation clearly shows that.

There are plenty of discussions going on behind closed doors but I am certain that the AA/US merger and the DOJ's divestiture ruling have reignited the relationship that has existed between AA and WN and Texas legislators.

Believing that the status quo that has existed in N. Texas will continue is a very dangerous assumption and one that I am certain will be challenged by citizens who are tired of overpaying for air transportation and by competitors who are tired of running into brick walls in their attempts to compete in N. Texas.

and yet DL's performance in the markets it serves from N. Texas has never been stronger. 20% percent of the DFW-LGA market, dominance to ATL and DL's other core hubs.

It is precisely because DL is doing as well as it is in its current markets that they see opportunity to grow.

And they will.

But again, it is not just about DL. It is also to ask why AA should not be allowed to compete at DAL or WN can't compete at DFW w/o losing gates. That type of arrangement exists nowhere else in the US and it cannot be defended - and it hurts consumers to limit competition.

WorldTraveler said:
and yet DL's performance in the markets it serves from N. Texas has never been stronger. 20% percent of the DFW-LGA market, dominance to ATL and DL's other core hubs.

It is precisely because DL is doing as well as it is in its current markets that they see opportunity to grow.

And they will.

News: "Science finds a cure for a particular kind of skin cancer".

WT: "That's right, DL's y-o-y revenues, earnings and yields are industry leading."

News: "Global leaders have been able to reach an agreeable solution to the Palestinian/Israeli conflict where both the Palestinians (including Hamas) and Isreal agree to".

WT: "That's right, DL's y-o-y revenues, earnings and yields are industry leading and they have been able to take business away from other carriers".

News: "Pakistan and India have been able to resolve the conflict in Kashmir".

WT: "That's right, DL's y-o-y revenues, earnings and yields are industry leading and they have been able to succeed where other carriers are failing. Might I add their Trainer Facility is improving their bottom line".

Is there ANY market in the world where DL hasn't "captured" all of the best and top everything? Man oh man, give it a rest already. I gotta say, they brainwashed the heck out of you back in the day. I don't think that anyone here will ever figure out what's behind your endless cheerleading For a company that you no longer work for. My suspicions about you being Richard Anderson are beginning to surface again.

WorldTraveler said:

It's interesting that you say that.  Wouldn't it then follow that WN and AA have not carved up the ntx market to themselves?  Or what is the story?  Can DL compete or is there a conspiracy reaching the highest levels of government against DL? :shock: :shock: :shock:

BTW:  what about Houston and the SETX market?  Have UA and WN locked that up with IAH and HOU too?  Maybe that's the reason UA isn't complaining about the grave injustice inflicted on airlines by the evil US Gov./DOJ + AA/US + WN? 

Actually, DL does compete from both HOU and IAH... any airline can fly to either airport. That is why the N. Texas situation is UNIQUE. Unless you tell me a similar situation, there is no match for the "rules" that exist in N. Texas.

Actually, it will be a grand day when peace comes to the Middle East. And there is no more cancer and....
When it does come, this board won't matter one little bit.

Neither will DL... so you have that to look forward to.

Back