LAX and SFO. Why not more routes?

I know US/HP has 5 or is it 6 gates at LAX. I am not sure how many they have since they moved out of Term 1 in SFO.

So why not more routes out of SFO and LAX. I know they both go to CLT, PHL, PIT, LAS PHX. Where else does HP fly non-stop to?

Does HP use any express flying from LAX or SFO. I do not know much about the HP side of the house.

I know US/HP has 5 or is it 6 gates at LAX. I am not sure how many they have since they moved out of Term 1 in SFO.

So why not more routes out of SFO and LAX. I know they both go to CLT, PHL, PIT, LAS PHX. Where else does HP fly non-stop to?

Does HP use any express flying from LAX or SFO. I do not know much about the HP side of the house.

At one time US flew non-stops LAX-MCO and LAX-TPA. Not to mention the intra-state flying that was vacated and handed on a silver platter to WN back in 1991.

Hopefully the new USAirways can find a way to be competitive in some of these and other point to point markets going forward.

At least the new management realizes life exists and prospers west of the confluence of the Allegheny, Ohio, and Monongahela rivers.

I thought that US significantly cut back on transcon flying earlier this year because it was extremely unprofitable. So I don't see why they would want to expand service to SFO and LAX.

Yes. Use this link. Go to route map and place your cursor right on Los Angeles and look at the other places the "west" side flies to out of LAX. Last I knew there really isn't extra gate space at LAX and at one time AWA had to cut back on LAX flights because the staff and facilities were overwhelmed by expansion there.

I know LAX is already too congested now, we have gate holds there alot. And SFO is not any better with ATC delays 250 + days a year, most of our flights are delayed 30-50 minutes each day, thats why southworst won't touch it.

US Airways has five gates at SFO - 26/27/28/29/30. They could take over a sixth as soon as the end of the month, as ATA is vacating Gate 31. If they grabbed it, they'd have the entire rotunda to themselves. Either that, or it would be a nice spot for a US Airways Club HINT HINT.

SFO-MCO would be directly competing against the United hub carrier's flight. Can they do it with enough yield on O&D to bother? Methinks not. SFO could be a nice focus city or something, but they'd just be duplicating routes operated by United just about anywhere. The only flight I could see is a daily A320 SFO-FLL to that "focus city" but... is it really much of a focus city anymore?

And as for going up against WN on the intra-West routes? Fugeddaboutit.

US Airways has five gates at SFO - 26/27/28/29/30. They could take over a sixth as soon as the end of the month, as ATA is vacating Gate 31. If they grabbed it, they'd have the entire rotunda to themselves. Either that, or it would be a nice spot for a US Airways Club HINT HINT.

SFO-MCO would be directly competing against the United hub carrier's flight. Can they do it with enough yield on O&D to bother? Methinks not. SFO could be a nice focus city or something, but they'd just be duplicating routes operated by United just about anywhere. The only flight I could see is a daily A320 SFO-FLL to that "focus city" but... is it really much of a focus city anymore?

With the increased O&D of the combined network, US really really needs to look at IAD-LAX,SFO,PDX, BOS-LAX,SFO and PDX isn't a tapped market yet except 1x319 UA from IAD. I wouldn't bother with doing JFK again because of the UA p.s. service....US/HP would get EATERN ALIVE.

Maybe the economics of the E190 would make such competetion a good move. WN has no competition non-stop SAN-OAK SAN-SMF SAN-SJC and other routes as well.

The disparity in crew cost alone should make a difference. A WN 737 Captain will be making almost 2 times as much as a USAirways E190 Captain.

Paint a smile on it and go for it.

With the increased O&D of the combined network, US really really needs to look at IAD-LAX,SFO,PDX, BOS-LAX,SFO and PDX isn't a tapped market yet except 1x319 UA from IAD.
I don't think it makes sense to throw planes on IAD-SFO. You're going head to head vs. EIGHT daily United hub-to-hub flights. Put US pax on a codeshare if they really want to fly to IAD, or let 'em connect to the DCA beyond-perimeter flight through Phoenix. Same goes for LAX. In the SFO-BOS market you're going up against 2x AA and 4x UA. Is there room for a third carrier?

just wondering out loud.....but would there be more money to be made feeding Star partners with some type of connectivity in JFK versus competing with WN in the west? In my eyes, the average ticket prices are significantly higher if you were feeding Star partners versus trying to compete with them on routes like SFO-MCO with would be a very low yield market.

Give DL a run for their money with some RJ feed to Star partners out of JFK. That is the single US gateway with the largest volume of Star partners, isn't it?

I think US could do SFO MCO and code share with UA. They already code share DCA ORD and a few other routes. There has got to be some combinations that US can come up with that they could profit on and well if it were to go up against UA they could come up with some kind of code share. Same goes with LAX.

I just see anywhere to FL as low return on your investment. In my opinion there are bigger fish to fry out there that would have a higher profit margin. Just because you could "fill" an airplane doesn't make it profitable. A great example of that were the LGA-FL flights on Jethro-Jet or the failed FLL-Carribean project.

My opinion is leave the SFO and LAX to Florida routes to the hub/low fare carriers like UA, WN, B6. I would prefer to see US East expand it's reach to some of the west cities like PHL-ANC, CLT-AUS, CLT-SAT, CLT-MZT, CLT or PHL - PVR, PHL-YVR, etc.

Actually the FLL project wasn't a complete disaster. They still have some FLL carib route. I am sure they would have scrapped those by now if they were not doing that well. I guess they kept the most profitable ones.

What I am saying is LAX and SFO attract business and there are many travelers that go to both LAX/SFO. Maybe they could do some other cities like ORD LAX or IAH LAX. There has to be some room somewhere in the system where they could make a profit.

Anyone think of any SFO/LAX city pairs that might do well for US?

T

With all due respect, I just don't see where going head to head with other trunk carriers on a route like IAH or ORD to LAX is a smart decision. We would do, what, a max 1-2 flights a day while CO flies IAH-LAX 10 times a day and AA has 11 ORD-LAX flights and UA has another 12. How would we ever be a viable carrier on that route?

AWA tried the transcon flying and it failed due to the competition on those routes. What makes you think we would succeed in direct hub competition?

The FLL project was never given time to come to full blossom. But since the start of service they have elminate everything except SDQ, MBJ and KIN. We will even discontinue the BOS-FLL, FLL-MBJ and go to 1 daily LGA-FLL in the summer schedule.

If SFO-MCO were a profitable route, UA and DL would offer more then just 1 flight each on the route. Routes like that need to be left to our codeshare partner UA and we need to explore new/different opportunites.

just my opinion. =)